Author Topic: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
There's always a possibility, I still have yet to find anything. Somewhere earlier in this thread (I think it was Masherbrum who caught my attention to this) there was the mention of the type of statue that this is. Ironically, when I searched it, I found exact models (tail position, everything) to the actual statue itself. But I couldn't find the statue itself.  :bhead

Also, I thought I'd share some more images that I think are pretty cool as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

To anybody else who is curious, we also have about 2 dozen war letters on the computer that we've been scanning (out of a huge stack of about 200)

Very curious... if you can post more. :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
It is a pleasure. Some of the writing is a little hard to read and in one of these letters my grandfather talks about capturing a German sniper with his colonel. He doesn't really talk about the war itself hardly at all in these.

He talks about Bill Mauldin in this one

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:06:34 PM by 1pLUs44 »
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

This is a picture of my grandfather at some point during the second world war. He was in the 45th Infantry Division from the beginning of the war to the end (G Co. 180th Infantry regiment)

My dad and I are finally starting to put together some of his old war letters and photos and we can't seem to find out where this picture was taken. I googled around but I haven't seen anything familiar and I was wondering if anybody may be familiar with where this statue is located so we can have a good idea of when this picture was taken.

Edit: There appears to be some kind of writing on the statue (Le Lura, or something like that) that I thought I should point out. I searched the phrase but still couldn't find anything.

Appears to be the "Sonnenberg Estate Lion Statue"

Though there appears to be a difference in the tail and the brow, but it seems close. Didn't go through all 7 pages. Still lookin'.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »
Good lord! all this over a statue.

There are some instances when Occams Razor doesn't apply.

Like, This statue is very similar, despite extremely clear differences and since no one has found one that is closer, then that means this one must be the statue.

NO, it means that no one has found the right statue yet.

I suppose it's possible that in order to protect them the original statues were hauled off and replaced with very similar statues, but why would they go to that trouble instead of just hauling the statues off and not replacing them with very similar statues?

In any event, I don't think this case is solved yet.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »

No, absolutely not. I know mine was close but not quite. Perhaps the same sculpter created it? I don't know.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »
Good lord! all this over a statue.

There are some instances when Occams Razor doesn't apply.

Like, This statue is very similar, despite extremely clear differences and since no one has found one that is closer, then that means this one must be the statue.

NO, it means that no one has found the right statue yet.

I suppose it's possible that in order to protect them the original statues were hauled off and replaced with very similar statues, but why would they go to that trouble instead of just hauling the statues off and not replacing them with very similar statues?

Not quite, I contacted some members of the forum nwbie directed me to, and on a seperate World War 2 forum that has a fella who has some after action reports of G Co. 180th Infantry. I have yet to get a reply from either but it could take a day or 2. The only problem is I'm too impatient  :lol

I did take another look at my grandfathers Sicily Sketchbook by Bill Mauldin, I'll scan it and post it on here in the next day or 2. He's got some more writing in it as well.

:salute

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
This reminds me of the "nazi bunker.....secret room" thread on Pistonheads forums.

I keep coming back to see the rest of the story.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
I went looking through some more of my moms old family stuff and I found a G Company roster from the 180th Infantry Regiment that my grandfather checked off as "ok" to people who I guess made it out. I'm unaware if it was for the whole war, or one campaign but I'm scanning it and putting it up ASAP.

I also found out that my great uncle (my grandmother's brother) was a Mortar gunner on Guadalcanal and Bougainville as far as I know. Here is an old newspaper clipping that I found not even 2 minutes ago downstairs  :O

Today is the first time I've ever even heard of George McMahon. I thought my only family member I had in the pacific was my Uncle on my dad's side, Charles Felker who was in the 27th Div. (Wounded on Saipan)

Infantry Badge To Abilenian: 10-1-44

WITH THE AMERICAL INFANTRY DIVISION SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA:
For his performance of duty in action against the enemy on Bougainville, Pfc. George F. McMahon, 718 Willow St., Abilene, Texas, has been awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge.
The Badge, worn above the left breast pocket, is a silver rifle on a field of infantry blue within a silver border, an elliptical wreath in the background.
McMahon, overseas 10 months, is a mortar gunner in a veteran infantry regiment which fought at Guadalcanal, with other units of the Americal division securing the island Feb. 9 1943. Again on Bouganville, the regiment distinguished itself in the bloody battle for Hill 260.
The "Americal," the only division in the United States Army having a name instead of a number, was formed in New Caledonia in May, 1942 and derives its name from "Americans" and "New Caledonia" [/i]

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
Thanks for posting the extra information and pictures 1Plus!

Very interesting...

My grandfather served in WWII in Europe, but that's about all know.  He passed away back in the early '80's from cancer, and never spoke of the war with us.  My grandmother also doesn't have any interest in discussing it.  Based on my grandfathers "quietness" she may not know many details anyway...

I know he was on foot, and I know he was wounded twice, but that's about.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Here's some things I could scan right quick before I leave for the day:

Newspaper Article that I typed before hand along with my great uncle.

Now these next 2 articles are very cool and sobering IMHO. They are the G Company, 180th Infantry Roster at some point during or after the war. If you'll notice, my grandfather checked "ok" next to many names, but not all. Also, Jank Tredwell on that list is a MOH recipient. My grandfather is I think on the 2nd page, look for Rollie M Snell.

I have an old "Restricted Fighting on Guadalcanal" book from my uncle, and about 5 more photos that I found (3 of my grandfather during the war).
One of his old photos pictures him and another fellow and I'm going to send it to the 45th Infantry Division group and see if they can identify the man next to him.

Edit: They spelled my grandfather's name on here wrong, but it won't be hard to find.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:13:15 PM by 1pLUs44 »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »
For what it's worth, the first picture of 1sum41's grandpa would probably be end of the war to postwar.  He' wearing airborne jump boots, which he wouldn't have had shipping out with an infantry division.  He apparently 'made a deal' somewhere for those :) 

The airborne guys were never very happy to come across ground pounders wearing jump boots.  Bill Mauldin of "Willie & Joe" fame was given a pair by some airborne guys but said he always felt conspicuous wearing them not being a paratrooper
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
For what it's worth, the first picture of 1sum41's grandpa would probably be end of the war to postwar.  He' wearing airborne jump boots, which he wouldn't have had shipping out with an infantry division.  He apparently 'made a deal' somewhere for those :)  

The airborne guys were never very happy to come across ground pounders wearing jump boots.  Bill Mauldin of "Willie & Joe" fame was given a pair by some airborne guys but said he always felt conspicuous wearing them not being a paratrooper

:lol That's very cool that you noticed that. I could never tell any difference  :salute

Edit: More stuff uploaded, I just found out we have a Mary Brian autograph(actress)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:34:08 PM by 1pLUs44 »

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
I agree that this is the most interesting thread in years on this portion of the board. I've got your pic as my background pic - I occasionally see one of my kids flipping through lion statue pictures on google.
We were considering mapping the 180th's entire journey and checking towns each path along their way.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac