Author Topic: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?  (Read 16821 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Uninstall Catalyst Control Center and watch the performance get even better.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

I had assumed that the Radon HD-7750 was controlled by the Catalyst control panel.  If I uninstall it then the color control is handled by the monitor/tv and the screen resolution is controlled by w7.  Would that be correct?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »

I use ATI Tray Tools to control my card instead of CCC. Might be a subject for another discussion but what settings there would be most beneficial for AH? Which are of no benefit and be best turned off?

I know some things would vary from card to card and machine to machine insofar as overall system performance goes and that would have to be tested but I was curious as to what the game either needs or can or can not make use of in order to make a better game profile there.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »

I have basically turned everything in it off. So This makes perfect sense. I will try that next.  :salute
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:47:16 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
The game is designed/optimized to use the stock settings, of any appropriate video card.  However, that does not mean changing those defaults will hurt performance.  It could hurt, or help.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
The game is designed/optimized to use the stock settings, of any video card.  However, that does not mean changing those defaults will hurt performance.  It could hurt, or help.

The "Overdrive" seems to have limitted the game to one CPU core, and 1 GPU. I have no idea why that would be.

By the way, is there a description of what is added to the graphics with each progressive step to the left of the slider for the new updates? It seems like there are 5 steps, wit hthe first one being glass reflections. Is that for all glass BTW, or just glass in my plane? What do the other steps do?

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
What slider?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
What slider?

Sorry, In the Advanced Graphics menue at the very top. I believe it's activated by the Bump Map my Plane check box. I call it the New graphic updates slider. I don;t know what HTC calls it.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Sorry, In the Advanced Graphics menue at the very top. I believe it's activated by the Bump Map my Plane check box. I call it the New graphic updates slider. I don;t know what HTC calls it.  :salute

You mean the "Environment Map" slider?

That slider controls how often the environment map is updated.  "Full Updates" means do it real time.  This is the map that is use to create the reflections on the shiny parts of planes.  It is a procedural texture (i.e.the game creates it on the fly).  How often that texture gets updated is all that slider adjusts.

I do not recall what each tick of the slider does.  It just impacts the time between each update.  It has no effect on the quality of the graphics.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
The game is designed/optimized to use the stock settings, of any appropriate video card.  However, that does not mean changing those defaults will hurt performance.  It could hurt, or help.

I have a MSI R6950/2GB card with a slight overclock. I'm running one of the 12.5 beta drivers. For some reason I get an odd screen flickering in any application if I use any driver from 12.6 on. If I move the mouse around the screen flickers as if on an old TV with the verticle/horizontal needing adjustment. Discovered this problem when I tried to upgrade to the 13.2 betas you were talking about last week. They're a no go for me. I'm at the 12.5 (8.97 version) which works fine otherwise.

I was interested in tray tool settings for stuff like anistropic filtering, etc. On or off? Honestly some of these I don't even know what they do or what to look for if they were doing anything at all. My thinking is if the game won't take advantage of a certain setting it I'll just set it to off  in the game profile I have set up for AH in tray tools and save some clock cycles. I don't see any issues with my setup at present, but any tweaking in a positive direction is fine by me.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »

That slider controls how often the environment map is updated.  "Full Updates" means do it real time.  This is the map that is use to create the reflections on the shiny parts of planes.  It is a procedural texture (i.e.the game creates it on the fly).  How often that texture gets updated is all that slider adjusts.

I do not recall what each tick of the slider does.  It just impacts the time between each update.  It has no effect on the quality of the graphics.

Yes that's it. Thanks for the explanation.  :aok  I really couldn't  tell the difference between any of the positions after the first one. Now I know why.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »

Yes that's it. Thanks for the explanation.  :aok  I really couldn't  tell the difference between any of the positions after the first one. Now I know why.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?

Yes, they're called nerds.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:42:23 AM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Just an update. I have been monitoring the utilization on my GPUs and CPUs and as previously discussed , it seems to be the CPU that is the bottle neck in my system. I have recently posted that setting the priority for Aceshigh in the task manager to "high" helped quite a bit, but the results were inconsistant. Some days it was till slow. Recently I did some experiments with setting the "affinity".  Now these results are for a Quad core Duo. When I run the game in default mode it seems to try to run everything on Core 0, which is typically 100% with spill over on teh other cores of 10-20%. Frame rates are limitted with relfections and self shadows on. But I have found the the optimum settings for me was to set the "affinity" for Aceshigh to cores 1,2,3 (just deactivate 0), and set TrackIr to core 1). When I do that core 1 runs at 85% and Cores 2 and three run 20-30%.. The game runs beautifully and conststanly between 55-60 FPS. It does take longer to Cache. When I take off after each sortie, the game runs at 20 FPS for about the time it takes to roll down the runway and lift off, but then it pegs at 55-60 and stays there, even in heavy action. 

I run Window7 64 bit, on a 2.66MHz Quad core Duo, with 8 Gig of Ram and Radeon 5970. The Graphics card is running 30% and 30% utilization on the GPUs.  That would suggest that the game is more CPU bottlenecked on most rigs, compared to GPU. For some reason Window7 didin't schedule the game across the CPUs efficiently, but setting AH to the back three processors did the trick.

Note:  I tried to use the back two processors (3,4) and the graphics looked great but the sounds wouldn't run smooth. (they kept pausing, like they were disrupted)

Also starting the Task manager after AH is running will crash it. So you need to do it in this order...

Sequence:

Turn off real time Scanning in your Virus software (if applicable)
Start CH control manager
Start TrackIR 5.0
Start the Task Manager
Start AH and leave it at the first screen.
Go back to the Task manager screen....
    -Under processes tab
         - Right click on AH and left click on "affinity..."
             - you'll see 5 check boxes
                      Select all
                      CPU 0 (de-select this one)
                      CPU 1  {
                      CPU 2  {Leave these checked
                      CPU 3  {
             -  Click OK
         - Right click on AH and left click on "Priority"
              - left click on "High" (box will come up warning that changing priority can affect performance. select "Change priority")
         - Right click on TrackIR 5.0 and left click on "Priority"
              - left click on "High" (box will come up warning that changing priority can affect performance. select "Change priority")

Close the task manager.
        selct on-line arenas or other menue choice from AH and proceed as usual.

Make a 20-25 FPS difference on my machine. I've had this hardware for over a year and could never run 8192 Self shadows, let a lone with the Environment map at one notch. I am running 2048 graphics resolution, Bump map terrain, Realistic Water, with local water reflections on.

It's a joy to see the game in it's full glory. I pass this info on in the hopes that more will be able to enjoy it. Results may vary, but I think windows7 may not be scheduling optimumly without a little help. forcing the game onto certain cores  may help your rig as well. Good luck and Please poet results if it works, or hurts your set up. I will make screen dumps and post tonight when I get home.

thanks,

vinkman   :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
The environmental slider put my frame rate to 45 when slider fully to the left.

Putting the slider in the middle brings it back unto 60 and I cannot tell what the difference is in game :)(monitor is native 60fsp)

I thought it was local reflections that was the problem, but it was the environmental slider :)

I have a i7 quad core,GTX680, 12gig of corsair memory and overclocked to 4.3 with water cooling :)

Everything is on but I put my shadows 1024 because anything above that makes the shadows look odd :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario