Author Topic: iPhone 5 anyone?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
iPhone 5 anyone?
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
People stood in lines for a week to get this phone.

First issue is Maps. Very poor release.

Second issue is it has data usage issues.

Now a third issue...... purple pictures.

Glad I don't use apple products.

Any of you folks experienced these problems?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: iPhone 5 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »
Droid.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
I hate droid - I have one and it has software instability issues. 

I'll look into the I5.

But I hear the S3 is awesome.  Anybody have the S3?
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
I have the iPhone 4s. The 5 just didn't have enough new features for me to want to go out and get it. Will probably wait until the next model comes out.

However, since downloading iOS 6, I have an issue where I can't hear any audio of embedded videos online. Anyone have the same problem?
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »
the s3 is a droid phone...might have software issues just like the rest of them.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
Wait, there are still Droids that haven't been banned from sale? (yet)  :t

I've had an iPhone 4 for a year and have really enjoyed it.  I was planning to get the 5 but I think instead I'll get one of the Windows 8 phones.  Not because I have a problem with the iPhone, just so I can have a test device to start developing for that platform too.

I don't get personal about hardware.  I go where the money is at.  Right now, for indie mobile development, the money is IOS.  I'm hopping Windows 8 will prove lucrative too.  I'd do Android too, but its so fragmented, and the type of people who buy Android tend to be so....frugal, the cost/benefit to spend development time just isn't there.

I suspect Windows 8 will take a deep bite out of Android's tablet market share over the next year.  And I suspect they will take a suprising bite out of Android's phone market as well over the next year.  Most of the Android handset makers are already paying MS various royalties on every device. With the constant threat of lawsuits it will eventually become appearent that the "free" mobile OS isn't so free and it would be easier to just license Windows 8.  I'm sure MS will offer them a deal that is quite tempting.  License Windows 8 and we'll just through in all those other licensing costs in the price.

Most of them don't care about Android.  They just want a mobile OS and Apple will never license IOS so Android has been the only real alternative.  Windows 8 will drastically disrupt that balance.  It will provide them a mobile OS without the legal headaches/costs.  I think in 2 years Android will be about where Linux is today.  Its around, not not a dominant player.

Mmmm sorry for the rambling.  Too much coffee today. ;)

Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
I just got the Droid Razer M, it's amazing... $99 phone that puts the iPhone 5 to shame.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
I have the Droid Razr and its awesome.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
the s3 is a droid phone...might have software issues just like the rest of them.
It is Android but not a droid. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
My Droid's wallpaper I've had for the past several months...  :D

Seems like there's an article on CNN about the top 5 gripes people have with the I5 iphone.   The gripes that I recall were:

The aluminum case feels too light.  Almost toy-like.  My Droid2 has some weight to it, which I personally kinda like.  Plus I like having a QWERTY keyboard that slides out if I choose to.

Paint chipping withing a few days (or hours) after purchase.

Light leaking from the backlight through the power button and somewhere else on the case

The new power cable / port is now smaller and the I5 is no longer compatable with all other apple charge cables.  I thought that was a nice feature that you could use any iphone / ipad / ipod charge cable or audio dock....   You can buy an adapter for about $29  $39 if you want a cable with it.  The adapter doesn't support video or the "iPod out" function for transmitting some data from the devices.

Can't think of the 5th one.  Spikes' avatar.  Bouncy bouncy bouncy  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, people are seeing weird bubbles on part of their touch screen.  Also touch screen flickering.

The maps thing I'm sure will be ironed out as it's a sofware issue.  Until then owners will just have to deal with large chunks of the U.S. missing or in the wrong location.  Google has no plans on designing a map for apple.

Link to the article http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/tech/mobile/iphone-5-complaints/index.html

Also so a newer article that states that the I5 has a software bug that puts a huge drain on cellular data even when the phone is connected to a WI-FI network.  May only be limited to Verizon customers.  But it's lead to some people incurring huge overages in their data plans.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:50:25 PM by jimbo71 »
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
The fact that Apple decided to change the connector on the iPhone 5 but not to microUSB is extremely disgusting.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
Droid and will never own another iPhone. If I could have gotten away with shooting it and filming it being torn to pieces with .308 I would have. However I needed the money from the sale of the phone and I got it. The dude offered me $300 last fall for my 8GB iPhone4 with a small scratch on the back. I jumped at it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
Only thing droid lacks that I haven't discovered a work around for yet is (the monopolistic) iTunes.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »
New Galaxy > Anything by Apple
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech