Author Topic: iPhone 5 anyone?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: iPhone 5 anyone?
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
People stood in lines for a week to get this phone.

First issue is Maps. Very poor release.

Second issue is it has data usage issues.

Now a third issue...... purple pictures.

Glad I don't use apple products.

Any of you folks experienced these problems?

If you ever owned an iPhone you'd realize how repulsing droid looks and feels. Everything is smurfy and clumsy. My son just bought a brand new Sony xperia with Droid4 - the user experience just isn't at the same level with an iPhone. Sure it's a cool phone and all, but apple still wins hands down in ease of use.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »
If you ever owned an iPhone you'd realize how repulsing droid looks and feels. Everything is smurfy and clumsy. My son just bought a brand new Sony xperia with Droid4 - the user experience just isn't at the same level with an iPhone. Sure it's a cool phone and all, but apple still wins hands down in ease of use.
I have to agree, I'm far from a die hard Apple fan-boi as there are many things I don't like about my Iphone. I started with a Droid, and was gifted the Iphone 4s which I'm currently using. Iphones are just much more stream-lined than Droids in my opinion.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »

ripley I find it funny that you are happy with a iphone where they tell you what you need or want and yet you promote tweaking windows to get rid of stuff you dont need or actually get rid of windows altogether and use something else.  try changing the os in your iphone.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:31 AM »
ripley I find it funny that you are happy with a iphone where they tell you what you need or want and yet you promote tweaking windows to get rid of stuff you dont need or actually get rid of windows altogether and use something else.  try changing the os in your iphone.

semp

I would not use windows in a phone. Ever. I don't need to change the OS in my phone since it currently has the best mobile OS known to man. It requires no tweaking at all to be smooth and usable. Tell me, why would I want to tweak something that works absolutely flawlessly as it is? I'm so happy with the current release that I refused the iOS6 update even.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
I had a Droid X.. upgraded to Droid 4. It's running Droid OS 4.0.4.. which is darn slick.
The only drawback I have with the droid is the insanely low battery life ( Motorola trademark ). 

Neither one held a charge for a full day.. which, I suspect, is due to the living environment I have, as I rarely get 4 bars of coverage where I spend the majority of my time.  I have determined that is the primary reason the battery life is so short.. the stupid thing is constantly scanning for a better signal, instead of just living with 1 or 2 bars of strength.  When my Droid X was deactivated, the battery now lasts over a week.. and it behaves just like an android tablet. Nice toy for experimenting.

The only exposure I have to the iPhone is through the iTouch machines, and, as painful as it may be to folks, the iOS is much slicker than Droid OS. There's a look, feel, interface... not sure what to call it, but the iTouch is simply fun to play with.  I don't care for iTunes and the way it controls your music.. too much feeling that the music industry is watching your every move, but, since all my stuff is legit, it works for me. And, no, I don't buy $.99 MP3s... they sound like crap compared to the CD.  I buy the CDs and rip the songs from there. Not as many songs, but they sound much better. ( I filled my 8G iTouch gen 1)

Apple has been proprietary since day 1 of their existence, which is the primary reason I despised them for years.  However, as narrow minded as that seems, they did build good stuff, and by not having a bazillion versions of hardware to support, they probably saved themselves a lot of headaches.  Seems a couple versions of the iPhones have had issues over the years.. Apple is due for a product bust to get them back on the straight and narrow.

Oh, and I do own a MacBook Pro, also.. picked it up after I fried my overly priced gaming laptop. ( big mistake )  It has a healthy battery life ( 3 - 4 hours ) which was great for traveling to competition cheer meets and processing pictures between events.  However, even after all these years, I've found that the MAC OS is just not easily to switch to after Windowing for 25 years.  BUT.. for a new user, I believe the Mac OS is far easier to get up and running than MS systems.  Again, since Apple keeps a firm grip on hardware options, they probably have less issues than a lot of the winders stuff out there. I probably should bump up the memory and put Win 7 on it.. but I'll need a bigger HD. 

Currently running Winders 7 on my main box.. and I think it's the best of the Winders bunch yet.  Not seeing a need to want to switch to 8 anytime soon.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »
I would not use windows in a phone. Ever. I don't need to change the OS in my phone since it currently has the best mobile OS known to man. It requires no tweaking at all to be smooth and usable. Tell me, why would I want to tweak something that works absolutely flawlessly as it is? I'm so happy with the current release that I refused the iOS6 update even.

why would you refuse ios6 since it's an improvement over what you have?  after all it's an official apple os and apple does make the best os known to man according to you.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
iOS6 probably includes many improvements but I do not want the Apple maps to my phone untill they're finalized. That's why. The maps is the first real mistake in the iOS.

In android - it doesn't matter if you decide to skip a version or 10, none of them qualify. You sound very agressive in your stance, are you sure it's not your emotions taking over reason here? :)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »

Apple has been proprietary since day 1 of their existence, which is the primary reason I despised them for years.  However, as narrow minded as that seems, they did build good stuff, and by not having a bazillion versions of hardware to support, they probably saved themselves a lot of headaches.  Seems a couple versions of the iPhones have had issues over the years.. Apple is due for a product bust to get them back on the straight and narrow.

With mobile devices proprietary is the only right way to go. The phone needs to be locked down as hard as possible and all content doublechecked vigorously. A mobile phone is like a cash machine. You can pay bills with it and using it costs money too. So anything open on a phone is pure insanity. It needs to be locked down hard as a bank.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
My phone doesn't do squat except for phone calls and text messages but it only needs charging every 2 weeks, battery life is the main priority for me and the phone only cost $29.00. Smart phones are a bit dumb.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »
My phone doesn't do squat except for phone calls and text messages but it only needs charging every 2 weeks, battery life is the main priority for me and the phone only cost $29.00. Smart phones are a bit dumb.

I would probably too unless I got everything from my company. I'd still be using my trusty Benefon Io lol.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »

I disagree with this statement completely. I did own an iPhone4 for over a year as well as had a company Blackberry at the same time. The iPhone was great for two things only at the time...social media and personal phone calls. I couldn't get it to function and receive my corporate emails at all even though several other people in the company had the original iPhones working on the corporate email client but they still couldn't get the sent emails to show on their laptop or webmail applications. Also I didn't enjoy having to constantly use iTunes just to back up my phone contacts. Mainly because iTunes is a PITA but it also spilled over into the experience of trying to migrate away from the Blackberry to only using the iPhone4.

SO about a year ago I sold both the Blackberry and the iPhone4 and got a Motorola Atrix2 as the only handset I use. I used the Line2 App to handle all the calls that I used to get on the iPhone4 and it worked decently enough. I recently killed that account to save $10 a month BUT my droid has a smooth UI and works better for me than the iPhone ever did. My corporate email client syncs up and shows sent emails on my laptop and webmail side even though they were sent from the Atrix2; which is completely the opposite of how the iPhone did for me. Which was a root cause for selling that piece of pretty glass. The one complaint I have is the lack of a significant battery life. I really liked not having to charge my Blackberry for 2-3 days or more.

As I said earlier I will not own another Apple product unless it is given to me and then I will most likely try to sell it unless it is needed for work.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:58:05 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
I disagree with this statement completely. I did own an iPhone4 for over a year as well as had a company Blackberry at the same time. The iPhone was great for two things only at the time...social media and personal phone calls. I couldn't get it to function and receive my corporate emails at all even though several other people in the company had the original iPhones working on the corporate email client but they still couldn't get the sent emails to show on their laptop or webmail applications. Also I didn't enjoy having to constantly use iTunes just to back up my phone contacts. Mainly because iTunes is a PITA but it also spilled over into the experience of trying to migrate away from the Blackberry to only using the iPhone4.

SO about a year ago I sold both the Blackberry and the iPhone4 and got a Motorola Atrix2 as the only handset I use. I used the Line2 App to handle all the calls that I used to get on the iPhone4 and it worked decently enough. I recently killed that account to save $10 a month BUT my droid has a smooth UI and works better for me than the iPhone ever did. My corporate email client syncs up and shows sent emails on my laptop and webmail side even though they were sent from the Atrix2; which is completely the opposite of how the iPhone did for me. Which was a root cause for selling that piece of pretty glass. The one complaint I have is the lack of a significant battery life. I really liked not having to charge my Blackberry for 2-3 days or more.

As I said earlier I will not own another Apple product unless it is given to me and then I will most likely try to sell it unless it is needed for work.

LOL I don't know how you managed to not get your e-mails working on the iPhone. The setup process was ridiculously easy and straightforward. iTunes is a pleasure to use especially if you're doing it right and run it on a Mac. You can't even plug an android phone to a USB without pulling down menus and other ridiculous stunts :D Not to mention having to install software or browse through the file system folders to do simple stuff / risk damaging system files.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »

The CFO at my work had a hell of a time getting emails on his iphone at first. I went into the exchange server and eventually found a setting that the phone didn't like. Works great now.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »
I couldn't get it to function and receive my corporate emails at all etc ...

Its hardly the phone's fault if you couldnt configure your email account on it, I cant imagine a simpler way of setting up accounts.

although I should say pretty much the only thing which annoys me about IOS is that you cant set up different sigs for different accounts in Mail, a rare oversight. grrr.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
The CFO at my work had a hell of a time getting emails on his iphone at first. I went into the exchange server and eventually found a setting that the phone didn't like. Works great now.

sounds like the usual flaky support for open standards from MS, their IMAP implementation has always been half-arsed.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli