Author Topic: What to do about the P-51D scourge?  (Read 6108 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: What to do about the P-51D scourge?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
my bad its 43-17 in my favor not 47.
But still. The point remains the same

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
Please explain how that is not a scourge.
From Merriam Webster:
Definition of SCOURGE
1: whip; especially : one used to inflict pain or punishment
2: an instrument of punishment or criticism
3: a cause of wide or great affliction
It does not fit any of these definitions, not even #3.

It is popular because it is an american icon and because it gives noobs some feeling of safety. It is just not that good to cause a real pain inspite of its numbers. If you want to know what scourge is, unperk the Temp or the Chog.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Just another post to complane about what others are doing.

This!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
People misunderstand me I think.  I don't care that it is the P-51.  It could be the Hurricane Mk I, or my own favored Mosquito Mk VI, and it it were overused to this extent I would have posted.

Personally, for me, Pony Ds are the best source of perk points there are.  Only slightly faster than my plane, slower if weaving to evade fire, worse turning ability, no better on climb and gives me a base 6 perk points for killing it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
I'd love to see a wider variety of planes in the air too. I fly the pony a lot because I seem to last longer in avoiding getting shot up. I stick to US planes mostly because my aim stinks and the 50's are about the only gun I have even close to a good chance at hitting. But with that said I STILL try to fly other planes. But thats me. I'm not worried about score/points/perks.

Too many play the game with one thing in mind, WIN! If all your going to do in a air to air fight is HO your not going to fly the biggest plane with the weakest guns. If your looking to capture bases the slowest plane with the lightest load isn't going to be your choice. People are going to use the biggest and baddest every time. Everyone says that MW has the best balanced plane set of all the arenas. If HTC closed LW and everyone moved to MW there would be a whole new set of "biggest and baddest".

As long as the focus of the majority of players is "capture the flag", instead of the journey to capture the flag Your going to see the same planes at the top of the list.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »
I've come up with a simple solution to this problem, that will subtly change the players own behavior to something more desirable, instead of making some drastic change that could work, or could ruin things.  At worst, it will do no harm:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,246499.0.html
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
My odds of survival against a couple-3 P51's is eminently higher than against the same # of Lgays...long live P51 whordes  :salute  (aside--what % of kills by 51's are gv's?)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
My odds of survival against a couple-3 P51's is eminently higher than against the same # of Lgays...long live P51 whordes  :salute  (aside--what % of kills by 51's are gv's?)

In the current year: 8.8% Quite low compared to other fighters.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:33:38 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
Especially considering what the situation was in WarBirds with the Spit9, I just don't see the problem.

AH was more variety today in its plane usage than WarBirds for example ever had.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
If you take away the 1000 Lb. bomb option and the ability to mount both bombs and rockets at the same, that should reduce the total pony usage.

I rarely use rockets on the D Pony so I would not miss them. I can pork the ords on a large field with just two 500 lbs bombs and the 50cals and fly home.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
People misunderstand me I think. I don't care that it is the P-51.  It could be the Hurricane Mk I, or my own favored Mosquito Mk VI, and it it were overused to this extent I would have posted.

Personally, for me, Pony Ds are the best source of perk points there are.  Only slightly faster than my plane, slower if weaving to evade fire, worse turning ability, no better on climb and gives me a base 6 perk points for killing it.
Then why make this post? why title it the P-51D Scourge? If your gonna  be the op on something you feel strongly about dont back off and  run for ack as soon as  you meet a l;ittle resistance
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:02:41 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
Then why make this post? why title it the P-51D Scourge? If your gonna  be the op on something you feel strongly about dont back off and  run for ack as soon as  you meet a l;ittle resistance
It is the percentage that bothers me.  The top plane doing twice the kills of the #2 and #3 hasn't been true since the F4U-1C wasn't perked.  For a long, long time we had four fighters that were roughly equal, and significantly ahead of the rest, the Spitfire Mk IX (later the Spitfire Mk XVI), P-51D, La-7 and N1K2-J.  Now it seems that the P-51D has won the contest between those four.  At least then it was four, now it is one.

If the Hurricane Mk I was in the #1 spot and the runners up were the P-51D and Spitfire Mk XVI I would still be asking what, if anything, should be done about the Hurricane Mk I scourge. (Well, honestly I'd also be asking some pretty pointed questions about the flight modeling and such on the Hurricane Mk I as well)
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Ok and several people have already posted the est reply IMO in that if ya perk the pony you get the Spit16 if you perk the ords they will just bring 500lber's  since thats enough to do the job aswell. Im actually kinda for perking ords but I dont know how they can pull it of. Mostly tho the culture and make up of the game at current is going to nix and perk change to the pony or the ord because youa re still gonna be horde on horde.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
I've spent a bit of time in the 51 leading up to DGS.  It's a wonderful bird, and it's easy to understand why it's flown so much.  It does everything well, and only has two flaws (climb and acceleration).  While my own personal wish would be for EVERY plane to have some sort of perk (Yes, even the I-16  :t), that is probably a bad idea if we actually want new players to come in and stay a while.

This game has a pretty steep learning curve.  Even for those of us that come in with some flight/combat sim experience and historical knowledge, it can be frustrating.  Planes like the 51 and Spit 16 probably need to stay unperked if for no other reason than to give noobs and the less dedicated a nice ride to compete in.

I like the thinking of a few that have posted already.  When I'm not in a 51, I see other 51's as perk points just waiting for me.   :D  Embrace the 51 scourge.  It's better than worrying about it for sure.  

:salute
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
Ok and several people have already posted the est reply IMO in that if ya perk the pony you get the Spit16 if you perk the ords they will just bring 500lber's  since thats enough to do the job aswell. Im actually kinda for perking ords but I dont know how they can pull it of. Mostly tho the culture and make up of the game at current is going to nix and perk change to the pony or the ord because youa re still gonna be horde on horde.
But I never suggested perking the P-51D as that would not solve the problem satisfactorily.  I suggesting playing with ENYs and somebody else suggested perking the 1000lb bombs on it.  Nobody has suggested perking the P-51D itself, at least not without boosting it to 150 octane or perking a whole bunch of other late war units such as the Spitfire Mk XVI and La-7.

If you want to debate it helps if you actually respond to the positions being taken by the other side rather than making up a position for them and arguing against that.  Doing that is called a "strawman argument".

As for perking the 1000lbs resulting in people just taking 500lbers on it, well, sure, if they are going for radar or fuel or ammo.  500lbers are, however, at a significant disadvantage against 1000lbers when it comes to hangar smashing or GV smashing.  That being the case base raids of just mass numbers of P-51Ds would drop in effectiveness if people weren't paying the perk cost for the 1000lb bombs and that means that P-51D usage would drop a bit in favor of more P-38s and P-47s, both comparatively rare fighters as compared to the P-51D, Spitfire Mk XVI and La-7.  And that is the goal, to somewhat reduce the P-51D's usage, not to gut it and not to remove the P-51D from the game.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-