Author Topic: Red Dawn  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Red Dawn
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
the original was great.....

anyone else looking forward to seeing the new one?  I am

think they are gonna screw it up?   I hope not, same guy that plays Thor is in it......

It's criting and keeping pegged on overload with my over-hype-meter, the last movie to do that was Battleship.   :noid 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
It's criting and keeping pegged on overload with my over-hype-meter, the last movie to do that was Battleship.   :noid 

I watched battleship......good effects....but...ehhh....sux to, I am a Liam Neeson fan.

I don't know I think I have weird taste in movies, everyone that saw "werewolf the beast in us" said it suked, but I liked it.

one of the very worst movies was Brad Pitt in "Tree of Life" 

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
I will see it and I'm optimistic.  In watching some of the previews I wonder if they hired an actual firearms expert and or military adviser to help out on the set.  From what I've seen it appears more like a John Woo kung fu action movie than it does a modern military based war movie.  The use of full auto tec-9 pistols in an ambush scene made me do a   :headscratch:  .  We'll see.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
A. China is fed by us. So they aren't likely to invade.

B. Us repelling a Chinese invasion should it occur, is impossible until the US Navy turns up. (I know people are expecting my pride to get in the way, but I'm being logical, with firepower numbering 2 million strong heading at us... an army 10% the size of my countries population is going to wipe us out)

C. That being said. The Australian military is at least in the top ten most modern and well trained fighting forces in the world. Our ratio in my opinion compared to Chinese troops would be at least 4 to 1. But as I said, when your country only has roughly 200,000 fighting men and women total across all three services... it ain't enough.

As for resistance. If assisted by allies, the Australian population could wage one HELL of a guerrilla war, myself being one of them. If I wasn't already killed as a member of the ADF.

People forget that China does not have the military capability for a seaborne invasion of another country.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
They changed it to the North Koreans???????

Are you kidding me???  Seriously??????

LoL.....Oh yeah!  Thats really believable.

Who's next?  the Canadians????

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
People forget that China does not have the military capability for a seaborne invasion of another country.

ack-ack

they dont have to invade it.  they can just buy it.  it is more cost effective.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »
they dont have to invade it.  they can just buy it.  it is more cost effective.

semp

People also over estimate China's wealth.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »
The Chinese economy is predicted to overtake the U.S. economy in about 8 years. Big difference is, of course, GDP per capita. However, the Chinese wealth isn't in the hands of its people, but concentrated in the powerful Communist Party. So on one hand China is far from being as wealthy as the U.S. (per capita), but on the other hand the Chinese government has far more control over that economy than the U.S. government, and can literally fund huge projects on a whim.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
I watched battleship......good effects....but...ehhh....sux to, I am a Liam Neeson fan. If we hop in the winibego, drive to Tijuana, sneak back in with 500 cherry bombs, buy a green tarp/screen and then find a recently grazed upon cow pasture - think they'll give us $210M and get to star in it for us Rihanna and Brooklyn Decker?  We can probabley twist Liam Neeson into driving the tractor, he was a forklift operator.  A script?... what's that?!

I don't know I think I have weird taste in movies, everyone that saw "werewolf the beast in us" said it suked, but I liked it.  Didn't see it, it probabley is good, so ill put it on my radar.

one of the very worst movies was Brad Pitt in "Tree of Life" he has overall been in more horrible movies than decent.  he really needs to stop reading/previewing scripts while _that_ stoned.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:05:04 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
They changed it to the North Koreans???????

Are you kidding me???  Seriously??????

LoL.....Oh yeah!  Thats really believable.

Who's next?  the Canadians????

:rofl :rofl :rofl

hey, i would love to see a red dawn rip off where the invader is canada. finally a comedy i could get behind :)

that said i dont think im going to see this red dawn, Hollywood lost my trust when they made the remake of willy wanka and all the others, i prefer to miss out and remember the origanals
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 05:47:21 AM »
Im with you guys on this one, north korea......really holly wood? At least china has the funding/smarts to build some type of fleet to even invade. They have to drop a dime somewhere in this movie saying it some kind of alternative universe where the chinese & russians control 3/4th of the planet or some crap.

maaaaan...the movie with the moon nazi's is more plausible.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
Yes the producers had to change the invaders to the North Koreans because they feared the Chinese would be annoyed. So annoyed in fact they might even declare war and...............well invade the US!  :furious

Life imitating art!

In fact it's more plausible for the Russians to invade the US. Just like the plot in MW2.

But whatever the plot there has to be a considerable suspension of disbelief. Mind you, many doomsday preppers have long ago suspended any common sense and probably think it's a documentary! :noid

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
in the original red dawn most of the troops were supposedly cuban or nicaraguan.   but in the wolverings fightings they were almost always russian.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
The basic premise of the original Red Dawn was ridiculous.  I actually analyzed that scenario as a staff exercise once upon a time.  Suffice to say  that while it's just 60 air miles across the Bering straight (as Sarah Palin loved to point out) it's nearly 4000 sea miles from Vladivostok to Anchorage, those being the closest ports capable of mounting the invasion and supporting the ground operation, respectively.  And then it's another 2000 miles by land to the continental US.  On a two lane highway.  Through the mountains.  In the Arctic.  As for the supposed airdrop out of Cuba, all the runways in Central America couldn't support it.  The only believable part was the private arsenals to be found in Colorado high-schools.

But at least the Soviets had ships and planes that could, at least in theory, travel the required distances with division sized forces.  China?  No.  North Korea?  They can't even pave the roads at their "missile" base.

I could go on, but I won't, because I still hope to see Ronald Reagan's Nicaraguans from coming over the border at Brownsville, Texas and I don't want to discourage them.  It's just two days drive!  After they conquer Honduras, Guatamala, El-Salvador and Mexico of course, and assuming their 100 T-55 tanks didn't break down on their two-thousand mile Le Mans rally through jungle, mountain and desert...  Communism on the Doorstep!  Guess the Gipper wasn't sure 1 Cav div there in Fort Hood would be able to win that one for him.

Now that would be a film worth watching.  Maybe for a sequel Grenada and Panama could tag-team?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:04:51 PM by Stellaris »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
Good lord, it's just a movie.  Meant for an hour & a half of entertainment.  Nothing more.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus