Author Topic: Fw 190 fuel tank burn order  (Read 3925 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Fw 190 fuel tank burn order
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Soda's write up of the Fw190 A-5, and A-8 says to burn the AFT tank FIRST in order to achieve maximum maneuverability. However, I was flying with at least three guys last night that said NO WAY, you burn the forward tank FIRST, ALWAYS, and that is because it is a nose heavy plane. I don't know what to think now, I know AH must really trust these write-ups of their in game planes to have them out there on the web, and at such mercy of every with varying degrees of expertise on the subject.

What was said, was "the 190's are nose heavy," and therefore forward tanks should be burned first.

So here's my question, for AH purposes, what way should the gas tanks be burned to achieve maximum benefits in maneuverability?

Fw 190 A-5:
Fw 190 A-8:
Fw190 D-9:
Fw190 F-8:

TIA,
Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fw 190 fuel tank burn order
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »
Just leave them on auto; Aux (if available), Aft, Fwd.

It might be good to leave a little in each tank in case one gets shot out but I rarely bother.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
i always burn the Aft tank to about 1/8 and then burn the forward tank to 1/2.  After that I burn the rest of the aft tank...
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
I would rather have my SA about me than spend time switching tanks, if your flying it right it shouldn't be a huge issue, I up every flight with a full tank and a drop tank and I keep the drop tank on until its empty unless I realise I am up against a good opponent. Weight does affect turn but then again you shouldn't be trying to turn a plane that cannot turn, running out of fuel is however the end of you so it makes sense to take it for as long as possible.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
bah dont belive him, hes just a pervert anyways : )

one thing i might add to his writeup, this aircraft turns as poorly compared to anything else, even if you choose to turnfight, the success wount really depend on the fuel state.
Full tank, DT at will (the rack causes 6mph speed penality though), let the automatic manage your fuel.
AoM
City of ice

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

What was said, was "the 190's are nose heavy," and therefore forward tanks should be burned first.

Most of the advice you'll hear in Aces High won't be true. Always ask for an explanation. The quality of the answer will help you decide if you should heed the advice. It also reduces the confusion caused by non-standard use of terminology.

If you don't notice the difference yourself flying the plane it probably won't help you anyway. You have more basic things to master first.

Aces High is not responsible for Soda's page or Gonzo's plane comparison but both are respected, if dated, sites.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
I'm a little surprised that there is somewhat of a consensus that 190's can't turn. There are two that can in the lineup we've got and possibly three based off of my experience thus far. No, they are not going to stay in pure turns with the best turners, but I've noticed the ability to hang around long enough to get a few snapshots.

Regarding the burn order, it doesn't distract me to keep an eye on it.

One tactic I'm noticing on a frequent basis is nme trying to cause me to overshoot. With the generous amounts of mg ammo in the 190, would it be a good idea to spray some around to distract them from the focus on the overshoot and then extend from there to reposition? If I try to hang with them and don't kill them right away, my E is bled away and I turn into a sitting duck.

Rot

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »
One tactic I'm noticing on a frequent basis is nme trying to cause me to overshoot. With the generous amounts of mg ammo in the 190, would it be a good idea to spray some around to distract them from the focus on the overshoot and then extend from there to reposition? If I try to hang with them and don't kill them right away, my E is bled away and I turn into a sitting duck.

Use a rolling scissor to hold E and stay behind them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »
I'm a little surprised that there is somewhat of a consensus that 190's can't turn.

They can't

Were you coming to this thread for advice or to find someone to agree with you?  :D

This...

If I try to hang with them and don't kill them right away, my E is bled away and I turn into a sitting duck.

Is because of this...

No, they are not going to stay in pure turns with the best turners, but I've noticed the ability to hang around long enough to get a few snapshots.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »

Were you coming to this thread for advice or to find someone to agree with you?

I think my question was pretty clear. Did you answer it, or tell me to not worry about it? Pilots that fly 190s regularly and have for years in AH were telling me Soda has it wrong, saying I should "burn the forward tank first." Don't you think that might be a bit confusing? Furthermore, if the write-up is incorrect don't you think it ought to be corrected, so noobs like me who want to fly this plane aren't at even more of a disadvantage?    :D

I even made a nice little template for you to cut, paste and reply, didn't see that.  :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:25:48 AM by RotBaron »

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
I think my question was pretty clear.

Yup

So here's my question, for AH purposes, what way should the gas tanks be burned to achieve maximum benefits in maneuverability?

Did you answer it, or tell me to not worry about it?

That is your answer don't worry about it

Pilots that fly 190s regularly and have for years in AH were telling me Soda has it wrong, saying I should "burn the forward tank first." Don't you think that might be a bit confusing? Furthermore, if the write-up is incorrect don't you think it ought to be corrected, so noobs like me who want to fly this plane aren't at even more of a disadvantage?    :D

I take it by saying template you are meaning the soda quotes on Aces High wiki? you can edit it yourself go make up an account, if you mean sodas site I am not soda  :rofl

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
I have been flying the 190D for 2 months "trying" soo hard to make her dance, but Pervert is flying that aircraft for many years. You dont have to belive us, dont have to take his advice, but then deal with your "awesomeness".
AoM
City of ice

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:58 PM »
I'm a little surprised that there is somewhat of a consensus that 190's can't turn. There are two that can in the lineup we've got and possibly three based off of my experience thus far. No, they are not going to stay in pure turns with the best turners, but I've noticed the ability to hang around long enough to get a few snapshots.

Rot
Their is a difference from a flat turn fight,and just (turning) after all to kill someone you need to have your guns on them,and bnz is not your only option in the 190 (though most cant fly it right) and think it is.Yo Yo's and wide angle turns not to mention that it is one of the best in vert ,work just fine in the 190 ,just don't flat turn it against to much for to long or to low a speed.Now about fuel burn I'm not sure on 190 myself so i wont answer, but always listen to the trainer here and trainers first, most players on AH and on this BBS "think" they are right but often i find they are not.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:54:54 PM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
Let auto handle it, it's doing it right - aka: don't worry about it.

Trust Pervert on this and many things abotu the 190s in AH (but since were hopefuly getting you into good/new habits - the proof is in his stats).

You'll find many people in AH talk out the wrong hole in regards to things they know little to nothign about, such as in this case with regards to fw190 fuel tank placement (both under the pilot), fuel tank sizes (the aft is signifigantly larger than the fwd tank), and probabley most criticly - their physical location in relation to aircraft's CG (as mentioned, under and behind your bum (aft)). 

To expand on that, many don't know a lot of proper terminology.  190s as a whole can roll faster than most planes.  190s can out turn most anything above 300-350.  They lack, compared to other more capable knife-fighters, a good sustained turn rate, especialy at slower speeds and on the deck (proficient planes in this area would be spits, LAs, zeros/KIs).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:23:45 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
You'll find many people in AH talk out the wrong hole in regards to things they know little to nothign about

It may be just a seasonal thing, but I came across a lot of bad advice in the game in the past weeks. Including this 190 fuel tank thing. Unfortunately players spreading such hearsay advice are often immune against reasoning, even explaining the causes and details won't change their mind.

Even explaining the differences between the various big caliber guns couldn't convince a certain player that the P-39D is the best tank buster in game. after all, only gun 'size' matters and he was sure HTC had modeled the guns this way instead of listening to such BS as shell type or muzzle velocity...

:confused:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman