Author Topic: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
The brewster was extremely manouverable - at least untill the Navy attached 50% more weight to it.

Even the F4F is a VERY maneuverable aircraft. The problem is that the Wildcat had to face the Zero.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
I wouldn't call 51 pilots sucky, I call them "one trick ponies".  They are the one pass haul *** poster children.  If they stay in their precious ponies, then things are ok.  If eny kicks them out, the log...  To get them to fly a spit is impossible.  They don't know how to fly them, and will lose quickly because they don't have any fighting skills.  They are always on the offensive, so they don't learn defensive moves. 

I could name others, but wouldn't like the back lash. 

I disagree.  If (and that's a big IF) I could catch Steve, I sent him to the tower every time.  Normally I would see him, then he would extend post haste to the ack, or friendly's.  He was a challenge to catch, but once caught, it was noob easy. 

Steve's claim to fame was picking and BNZ'ing.  He got me far more than I got him, but he was a pro at the 450mph snap shot and zoom back to his perch.  He played the "I have to live" game well.  It's not my game, but it made him happy.  Of course he isn't around anymore, so that may speak to how exciting it is to fly like that. 

Its easy to generalize and I suppose most 51 pilots fall under that stereotype, but there are a few Pony guys that would have absolutely no trouble getting into other planes and handing you your ass.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
NO, P51s do not breed sucky pilots(players) ....... the hordes and Lil Generals are to blame for sucky pilots ( players )

to qualify my statement, I point you towards WldThing, the 412th Bronco Mustangs squad ( Midnight, dtango, SkateSr, etc... ), Damned Fool & Damned Dano, Stang, Flyboy and several others who could throw their cartoon P51 planes around quiet well.......

TC

Shhhhhhhhhhh
Wag more, bark less.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
P-51s should never breed it could lead to birth defects.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
P-51s should never breed it could lead to birth defects.

(Image removed from quote.)
That was a hard one to fly,left guy had left aileron and left rudder and so on for the right pilot.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »
FINALLY I know why I suck in AH!!  No more Pony for me.  Hello Spit 16!!!
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2012, 11:12:39 PM »
That was a hard one to fly,left guy had left aileron and left rudder and so on for the right pilot.

Ark ark, humor.

-oldman

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
A lot of interesting replies here and a good read on people's views, p51s are like yappy dogs biting your ankle when your backs turned then run away yelping anytime you turn after them and hover on the fringes until your backs turned again :D Heres some footage of a P51 in Aces High to back up that statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72fbXDQ7Lg

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
A lot of interesting replies here and a good read on people's views, p51s are like yappy dogs biting your ankle when your backs turned then run away yelping anytime you turn after them and hover on the fringes until your backs turned again :D Heres some footage of a P51 in Aces High to back up that statement.

:lol you a funny guy
Lighten up Francis

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

Funny the other night when that La blew you up,i might have been able to get him before he got you instead of after, if you did not make fun of my pony.Good luck out there knowing all us p51 flyers are now looking out for you.  :D
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
I'll turn/outturn most aircraft at cornering speed in a 51B... but once you've continued the turn and exceeded that threshold, you become a considerably easy target.  While it takes on average 3-5 snapshot busts to down most luftwaffe aircraft in a Bravo, it usually only takes them half of one to quickly turn you in to a 'sucky pilot'.

3-5 snapshots on an aircraft already engaged with your entire squadron 10k below your perch*  :devil
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
I hope to see Pervert again tonite  :joystick: :neener:

Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
IMO you must have better situational awareness in the P51 as modeled in the game. You cannot outrun things where you usually engage them - on the deck the Dora, K4, LA7 and Spit16 will out accellerate, climb, and run you. All are very common. You have to know when it is time to disengage - which may mean rolling off of a target rather than fighting their fight and loosing the turn fight, ie bleeding so much that you cannot then extend if you need to when his buddies show up.

The P51 is a tough plane to fly. It requires you to increase your SA not just of what is going on around you but the state of your aircraft as well because you have to plan ahead. You also cannot just yank the stick, you must finesse your stick, throttle, flaps, and rudder. On top of that the 50s require more than a brief tap on the shoulder to end the fight.
well stated Paladin  :cheers:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:35:21 PM by Pand »

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd