Author Topic: HTC Overmodeled the Brewster!  (Read 8104 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: HTC Overmodeled the Brewster!
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
I wish we had a 900 option in the convergence tab.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. No I don't have film of it, I've developed a bad habit of hitting cancel on film without even thinking about. Done that many times lately on good fights that I wanted to save  :bhead

I'm going to go take a look at all my convergences, I originally put them all at Soda's recommendations...

I know this would seem contrary to fact, but the Brew seems more capable with 4 50's than the corsairs, 51's and jugs with 6 or 8 50's...checking convergence now on all.  :noid

:salute

Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
That's in part because, at least in my experience, the P-51s, Corsairs and P-47s are going to rely more on snapshots in the typical MA fight. However the Brewster is more likely to be able to saddle up for a tracking shot.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
I was playing with the brewster offline last night testing a gunsight. I discovered the Brew has two very strong abilities that answered for me how sometimes I badly underestimate it in the MA.

I discovered by shallow diving to rapidly achive 300+ ta that you can zoom up 3000ft like an unbeleivable rocket. Then at the top of the climb you can trade nose for tail in an instant dropping right back down your path of climb. Add to this it's excellent turning ability, and yes, in the MA it would seem over modeled. It's not very fast flying level but, using shallow dives it reaches 300 quickly and retains it which makes it deadly in low level MA furballs.

It's a well balanced ride to perform low level syncronised air show aerobatic drive by shootings if you keep it to it's strengths. I didn't attempt to address a common complaint that it can dive to achive 400+ and retain that speed unnaturaly running down the late war speed monsters. Sometimes I have wondered if things like that instead might be realted to UDP updates not quite synced right time wise for both parties.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
I was playing with the brewster offline last night testing a gunsight. I discovered the Brew has two very strong abilities that answered for me how sometimes I badly underestimate it in the MA.

I discovered by shallow diving to rapidly achive 300+ ta that you can zoom up 3000ft like an unbeleivable rocket. Then at the top of the climb you can trade nose for tail in an instant dropping right back down your path of climb. Add to this it's excellent turning ability, and yes, in the MA it would seem over modeled. It's not very fast flying level but, using shallow dives it reaches 300 quickly and retains it which makes it deadly in low level MA furballs.

It's a well balanced ride to perform low level syncronised air show aerobatic drive by shootings if you keep it to it's strengths. I didn't attempt to address a common complaint that it can dive to achive 400+ and retain that speed unnaturaly running down the late war speed monsters. Sometimes I have wondered if things like that instead might be realted to UDP updates not quite synced right time wise for both parties.

I oftentimes wonder if some of the complaints about being caught by a brew aren't the result of too much reliance on simply being in one of the faster planes.  In other words the pony or FW or whatever fast plane driver sees the brew at 3k, break turns away and begins to leave having no real idea of the brew drivers E state.  The brew driver sees the pony 5k away and begins a zero G dive in lead pursuit if applicable.  In other words the brew driver knows he is at a top speed disadvantage and knows he has to be smooth and make careful moves in order to get the max out of his plane in terms of speed using any angles he can in the process.  The pony driver (or fw etc) just sees the brew (or zeke etc) and sorta panics, and/or doesn't account for the drag and wasted manuevering and simply points his plane in the desired direction as soon as possible and hits wep.   I see alot of 51 drivers just kinda go blank and run...if you get in guns range they just sorta jink around...no attempt to fight even if they are clearly losing the drag race.  It's like gunnery practice sometimes.  I wonder if they realize how much all that random manuevering slows them down and enables the brew (or whatever slower plane on paper) to catch them/stay in guns range longer?

For the record I've seen this with all plane types, this isn't meant as an attack on all mustang pilots in any way.  Some of the most funny are the spit16's...doesn't make good sense unless they are out of ammo, gas or pw etc.  Even then, if your losing the race you may as well turn back and at least make the other guy work for it, but I digress......

Zaphod
Brakechk/Zaphod

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
I oftentimes wonder if some of the complaints about being caught by a brew aren't the result of too much reliance on simply being in one of the faster planes.  In other words the pony or FW or whatever fast plane driver sees the brew at 3k, break turns away and begins to leave having no real idea of the brew drivers E state.  The brew driver sees the pony 5k away and begins a zero G dive in lead pursuit if applicable.  In other words the brew driver knows he is at a top speed disadvantage and knows he has to be smooth and make careful moves in order to get the max out of his plane in terms of speed using any angles he can in the process.  The pony driver (or fw etc) just sees the brew (or zeke etc) and sorta panics, and/or doesn't account for the drag and wasted manuevering and simply points his plane in the desired direction as soon as possible and hits wep.   I see alot of 51 drivers just kinda go blank and run...if you get in guns range they just sorta jink around...no attempt to fight even if they are clearly losing the drag race.  It's like gunnery practice sometimes.  I wonder if they realize how much all that random manuevering slows them down and enables the brew (or whatever slower plane on paper) to catch them/stay in guns range longer?

For the record I've seen this with all plane types, this isn't meant as an attack on all mustang pilots in any way.  Some of the most funny are the spit16's...doesn't make good sense unless they are out of ammo, gas or pw etc.  Even then, if your losing the race you may as well turn back and at least make the other guy work for it, but I digress......

Zaphod

When I played the last time I saw a brewster a little bit higher than me. I was in the F4u-D. I didn't want to turnfight him and was low on E after furballing so I went into a zero-g dive to escape. I used up all the alt I had and leveled out. But the brew just kept catching me! Clearly it's overmodeled! I just couldn't do anything to escape it I was wepping and all. I managed to drag it over a V field and finally started a desperate turnfight against it. I managed to stay alive long enough for my countrymen to finish him off.

Only then I realized that when I was furballing with an another F4u earlyer I had deployed my gear to prevent overshoot - and pressed twice by accident afterwards when I wanted to pull them up. I was diving and 'extending' with gear down  :lol
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
I always considered this plane a great addition to the game. Its a real sweetheart to fly.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
When I played the last time I saw a brewster a little bit higher than me. I was in the F4u-D. I didn't want to turnfight him and was low on E after furballing so I went into a zero-g dive to escape. I used up all the alt I had and leveled out. But the brew just kept catching me! Clearly it's overmodeled! I just couldn't do anything to escape it I was wepping and all. I managed to drag it over a V field and finally started a desperate turnfight against it. I managed to stay alive long enough for my countrymen to finish him off.

Only then I realized that when I was furballing with an another F4u earlyer I had deployed my gear to prevent overshoot - and pressed twice by accident afterwards when I wanted to pull them up. I was diving and 'extending' with gear down  :lol

What gets me most the time is that I'll avoid one trying to HO and it can turn 180 on a dime without loosing enough speed/E that they are still faster than me and now gaining on my 6.  It is the UFO of AH.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
Rot, first rule when being chased by a turn and burn A/C with a Alt and E "situation advantage" is NEVER dive, never ever dive.
Most planes can keep up untill level alt is reached then they bleed off fairly quick, in your jugg you would have been better off applying a +1 climb with a slight rolling turn, the second you see the enemy cons icon range falling away level out and fly off.

And if you do, say your being gunned at from 1k or closer and closing, put the plane in  a slight* -1 dive with a gentle turn. It will keep your speed and make a gun solution much harder.

Keep in mind this wont work with 44-45 birds,as they will have just as much dive and climb power as any.

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
What gets me most the time is that I'll avoid one trying to HO and it can turn 180 on a dime without loosing enough speed/E that they are still faster than me and now gaining on my 6.  It is the UFO of AH.

Right! :lol

...and I'm sure you have a collection of films demonstrating this too right? :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Rot, first rule when being chased by a turn and burn A/C with a Alt and E "situation advantage" is NEVER dive, never ever dive.

So when a brewster is zooming down on you 400+ and you're 200mph sitting duck you should just start climbing? Wouldn't it be faster to turn towards him and pull up to a cross to help him shoot? :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone