Author Topic: Is this a good fight?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Is this a good fight?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »

I have a counter theory for you Mr. Coombz, you say any other gaming community and this does imply there is something different here. I think a lot of Aces High players, especially the more mature ones don't play a lot of other games and / or don't have the vast experience of internet culture that you seem to have for instance. 

Look at me, this is my first forum, my only computer game. I'm sure you find it hilarious to see someone like me getting trolled like a noob and all those other things I have to look up to see what they mean.

From my perspective the whole Midway episode had to be experienced to be believed. Still now why someone would pursue this as an activity is beyond me, wouldn't they be better taking up something more constructive? Probably showing my age there aren't I?  :lol

I agree with Babalonian, an awful lot of players tried to help him, not so much help him so that he'd 'tow the party line' but more so he wouldn't have to rely on what has become accepted in this culture as an unsportsmanlike shot. Everyone that helped him with ACM ultimately just helped him attain those shots with more frequency which is rather a shame and a betrayal of their time and energy.

Also, surely the obsession lies at Midway's feet does it not?

I don't think you proposed a counter theory there - unless you meant it to be the bit where you said that the majority of this community don't play many (or any) other games and don't have a wide experience of the wonderful (ahem) world of internet gaming communities.

That is exactly what I was implying myself! :) That's why the reaction to Midway is so extreme and adverse. Most AH pilots are people who are more used to 'real life' where someone shouldn't or wouldn't act the way that Midway does without being able to back it up, or facing some kind of painful physical censure :>

A lot of the responsibility does indeed lie at Midway's feet for provoking people, but as I mentioned above his brand of trolling is actually extremely mild. The excessive anger and hatred that he receives from some people in the community is out of all proportion to what he dishes out himself. I think that is due to the previously mentioned lack of experience with that kind of trolling behaviour that we both referred to AND ALSO the big heads and sensitive egos of so many AH pilots who are extremely proud and protective of their reputation as an e-dogfighter.

For example, just consider the amount of hatred Midway received BEFORE he even started with this 'i pwn so and so' schtick...

When he first came out of the woodwork and limited himself to worshiping Bruv he was still the recipient of a huge amount of vitriol and abuse on the forums. Yes, he was annoying (although Bruv probably had more reason to be annoyed than anyone else imo) but I think the main reason he got such a negative reaction is because the other top dog fighter pilots weren't getting the worship they felt they deserved, and they and their buddies felt aggrieved about it. I remember this very clearly from the various threads and posts at the time.

Now that he's blowing off at the mouth with 'i pwn this guy' and 'i pwn that guy' etc etc, without backing any of it up in the DA, he's even managed to bait in such normally level headed people such as yourself. There must be SOME element of insecurity there, such that you can't just say to yourself 'I know I'm better than this joker, so who cares what he says'.

Ever since Midway has placed himself on a pedestal that you feel he does not deserve to be on you have been grumpy with him. This again is something I recall very clearly from posts and threads on here.

Despite your lack of experience with such characters, I'm sure you must know he's just a troll and arguing with him will never achieve anything. But you haven't been able to let it go (until now perhaps, since you've put him on ignore :) )

Finally the biggest supporting fact of my statement that Midway most effectively trolls people with oversized egos and extremely high opinions of their own fighter pilot prowess is how people such as (but not solely limited to) Shane and Skyrock react to him. Great pilots and often successful trolls in their own right, but all Midway has to do is make a baseless claim that he can 'pwn them with substantial frequency' and it's like putting a red rag in front of a bull.
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »
I don't think you proposed a counter theory there - unless you meant it to be the bit where you said that the majority of this community don't play many (or any) other games and don't have a wide experience of the wonderful (ahem) world of internet gaming communities.

That is exactly what I was implying myself! :) That's why the reaction to Midway is so extreme and adverse. Most AH pilots are people who are more used to 'real life' where someone shouldn't or wouldn't act the way that Midway does without being able to back it up, or facing some kind of painful physical censure :>

A lot of the responsibility does indeed lie at Midway's feet for provoking people, but as I mentioned above his brand of trolling is actually extremely mild. The excessive anger and hatred that he receives from some people in the community is out of all proportion to what he dishes out himself. I think that is due to the previously mentioned lack of experience with that kind of trolling behaviour that we both referred to AND ALSO the big heads and sensitive egos of so many AH pilots who are extremely proud and protective of their reputation as an e-dogfighter.

For example, just consider the amount of hatred Midway received BEFORE he even started with this 'i pwn so and so' schtick...

When he first came out of the woodwork and limited himself to worshiping Bruv he was still the recipient of a huge amount of vitriol and abuse on the forums. Yes, he was annoying (although Bruv probably had more reason to be annoyed than anyone else imo) but I think the main reason he got such a negative reaction is because the other top dog fighter pilots weren't getting the worship they felt they deserved, and they and their buddies felt aggrieved about it. I remember this very clearly from the various threads and posts at the time.

Now that he's blowing off at the mouth with 'i pwn this guy' and 'i pwn that guy' etc etc, without backing any of it up in the DA, he's even managed to bait in such normally level headed people such as yourself. There must be SOME element of insecurity there, such that you can't just say to yourself 'I know I'm better than this joker, so who cares what he says'.

Ever since Midway has placed himself on a pedestal that you feel he does not deserve to be on you have been grumpy with him. This again is something I recall very clearly from posts and threads on here.

Despite your lack of experience with such characters, I'm sure you must know he's just a troll and arguing with him will never achieve anything. But you haven't been able to let it go (until now perhaps, since you've put him on ignore :) )

Finally the biggest supporting fact of my statement that Midway most effectively trolls people with oversized egos and extremely high opinions of their own fighter pilot prowess is how people such as (but not solely limited to) Shane and Skyrock react to him. Great pilots and often successful trolls in their own right, but all Midway has to do is make a baseless claim that he can 'pwn them with substantial frequency' and it's like putting a red rag in front of a bull.

:rofl :rofl :rofl      :rock

Pardon my responding, but I couldn't help myself due to coombz's awesome level of insight and sharing of same, 90% spot on. :cheers:

May coombz help pull nrshida from the ledge of the abyss located in the dark side, one day. :pray

Perhaps some people interpret true open admiration for the awesome skills of the likes of Bruv, and true open pride in pwnage of the likes of Shane with proven substantial frequency, as trolling... but I am/was being sincere and honest.  :aok.

Maybe some people are accidentally trolling? :old:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:57:42 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
Loved every minute of it Bat ... those are the type of fights you wait for and treasure. I thought the Spitty did a pretty good job just staying out of reach. Like you said, that was above average MA skill.

great to see you Slap!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »

Just to be clear, I have nothing against Midway at all except for his seeming lack of willingness to expand his skill-set. I don't call him names, but some of those songs with "niki" in them were nicely adapted to Middy.  :noid

I'm not a big HO hater - I even often compiment them with "nice ho" when they succeed.  :aok  I don't particularly care for "joust warriors" (hey INK, add this to the lexicon) who (heh) will make a HO pass extend 5k reverse and repeat. Midway doesn't do that.

I admire the way Midway has gotten into so many other heads tho' .     :old:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Just to be clear, I have nothing against Midway at all except for his seeming lack of willingness to expand his skill-set. I don't call him names, but some of those songs with "niki" in them were nicely adapted to Middy.  :noid

I'm not a big HO hater - I even often compiment them with "nice ho" when they succeed.  :aok  I don't particularly care for "joust warriors" (hey INK, add this to the lexicon) who (heh) will make a HO pass extend 5k reverse and repeat. Midway doesn't do that.

Admiration being a more noble emotion than envy. :old:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »

:aok

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
Yeah, that's the only thing I like about him so far... maybe he'll give up on the misleading claims and actually learn how to own...  then again, maybe he won't! :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
... maybe he'll give up on the misleading claims and actually learn how to own...  then again, maybe he won't! :aok

:rolleyes:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,343717.msg4537260.html#msg4537260 :joystick:

Spitfires and P38s. :D

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »

It's not insecurity in my flying, I've never claimed my e-pedestal as you called it to be anything more than exactly 1.00 nrshidas long, and it's not important to me or relevant to compare that to someone else's pedestal. What finally made me get annoyed with 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' was the realisation that he had boiled me like a frog. This was bitter for me since I felt a slight responsibility for him becoming what he has become.

It was even more bitter because this isn't the first time this has happened to me. Once a friend and I took a new player and trained him up. It was my friend's idea thinking that this player would also stop picking and HOing and take up skillful flying. Then one day after we'd spent many many hours training him we spent 45 minutes at the furbal lake in God Mode watching him HOing and picking with greater skill and even more spitefullness. As it turned out there was a specific reason for this person being that way.

'The Brown Lord' may even be the same player for all I know, there are remarkable similarities. I no longer help new players improve their ACM because of him.

Despite your lack of experience with such characters, I'm sure you must know he's just a troll and arguing with him will never achieve anything. But you haven't been able to let it go (until now perhaps, since you've put him on ignore  )

Well I did finally get it, as I explained somewhere else it's my nature to go deeply to the heart of things to try to understand. Actually in this case when I got there I found it was uninteresting anyway and I am frustrated at myself for putting so much energy into it.

Oh well, life is all about experiencing and learning.

I apologise to the community (with the exception of Voldemidway) if I have been annoying throughout this episode.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »
For someone who HO's as much as you do, one would think you'd be better at it.

Or at least save your cannon rounds... had you not tried hitting me nose on 3 times, you'd have had the ammo to finish the job. <S>

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »

I no longer help new players improve their ACM because of him.

It's not because of him, it's because of your choice not to. I think that is a sad situation too. A loss to the community and through your choice. Don't blame one person for your lack of faith in helping people. I've helped lots of people in the DA over the years, just as lots of good folks helped me before. The occasional one would start off polite and fun and then when they had developed skill they turned into total butt munchers attitude wise. Far more rude and obnoxious than Midway ever is. If I let that dissuade me from passing on a little knowledge here and there I would never have eventually joined the trainer corps.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »

It's not because of him, it's because of your choice not to. I think that is a sad situation too. A loss to the community and through your choice. Don't blame one person for your lack of faith in helping people. I've helped lots of people in the DA over the years, just as lots of good folks helped me before. The occasional one would start off polite and fun and then when they had developed skill they turned into total butt munchers attitude wise. Far more rude and obnoxious than Midway ever is. If I let that dissuade me from passing on a little knowledge here and there I would never have eventually joined the trainer corps.

I agree with this :aok

or at least to the point that you shouldn't take it out on new guys because one was a tard in the past.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »
I agree with this :aok

or at least to the point that you shouldn't take it out on new guys because one was a tard in the past.

Errrmmmm - he's mentioned *two*  that left a bad taste.  If those were the only two he helped to any extent... I can see how he might be a little gunshy.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »
It's not because of him, it's because of your choice not to.

It's because of him, and the other, which may in fact be him, that I chose not to. Perhaps you are right a more sophisticated screening process would have prevented it.

However it is a moot point, I hardly have time to fly for myself anymore. Perhaps if nice people ask my for help I can contribute a little advice or some short lessons in the interests of propagating skilful flying.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
... The excessive anger and hatred that he receives from some people in the community is out of all proportion to what he dishes out himself. I think that is due to the... big heads and sensitive egos of so many AH pilots who are extremely proud and protective of their reputation as an e-dogfighter.

Your defense of him is just another troll, and it's getting tiresome. This assessment misses the mark by so much, your round has left the rifle range.  The reaction to him has nothing to do with egos or jealousy over the attention he gives the Few.  :rolleyes:

True he doesn't swear, or be necessarily vitriolic. But niether is the guy who rings your doorbell and runs. If he kept ringing it, all hours of the day, every day of the week, and wouldn't stop even when begged and when reasoned with, you would eventually be chasing him down the street with a hand gun. Your failure to recognize his passive-agressive strategy is either naive, or an attempt to troll.    

Can we please get back to watching the movie now?   :salute
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:58:24 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?