Author Topic: Is this a good fight?  (Read 3618 times)

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Is this a good fight?
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
It's because of him, and the other, which may in fact be him, that I chose not to. Perhaps you are right a more sophisticated screening process would have prevented it.

However it is a moot point, I hardly have time to fly for myself anymore. Perhaps if nice people ask my for help I can contribute a little advice or some short lessons in the interests of propagating skilful flying.

I have a very sophisticated screening system (when I'm playing.)

You probably don't have much experience or knowledge of me since I primarily flew before your time, altho' you might have caught glimpses when I played back in 2011.

A big part of my in-game persona is very much on the smack talker side - I don't make personal attacks beyond the confines of the game, nor am I vulgar (vulgarity is the first refuge of the mediocre.)  I'm a lone wolf, often going up against odds whether from an advantage or not. This is where I'm most "visible"-  my running smack with the hordemonkeys.

I challenge the size of their e-peens, hoping to bait them into asking me to the DA so they can prove they have more skills than someone who whines about dying against odds.  A substantial amount of them time - hell, 98% of the time, it doesn't work (I think they *know* lol,) but... there have been those times when that person rose to the bait and took me to the DA and got schooled, and probably left with a tip or two. Of those people, only a handful swallowed their own egos for continued, well, I don't want to call it training so much as polishing.

That's my system - get past my MA persona, swallow that ego (at least temporarily) and be willing to learn.

So again I've helped numerous people with tips and fun practice in the DA, but have only taken under my wing  a handful. I can't emphasize enough that the time I spent with my "peers" in the DA, just having fun in a variety of rides, etc - like with batfink, a lot of the muppets, quite a few la drivers where there was no big moment of enlightment just continual polishing to a brillance.

I respect effort. Other than being somehwat disappointed with Midway's refusal of so much good advice, I'd have to say another one I would consider to be a disappointment would be Higheye in his P-51. I first encounetred him in '08 when I came back for a few months and basically lurked a lot in the DA's furball lake. He'd be in a high 51, picking and hording with his squaddies (TAS Aero iirc) I thought I saw some potential as he was rising to my smack. I gave him a few pointers for the pony. Eventually I left and came back in '11 and he had finally evolved to the MA (and even had his own squad for a while) and lo and behold he was still flying pretty much as I left him in '08, just in the MA.

So here I am trying again to see if I can help him get better in that pony he loves so much, offering advice and even to wing in the MA and even going to the DA with him and a squaddie to show them what a pony is capable of. Throughout '11 I kept trying to get him t come around and swallow that ego - didn't happen. And then I left again.  He any better?

The point is, you can't pick a winner every time. But even those random one-off encounters where you can pass along a tip just may have a butterfly effect down the line, hopefully a positive one.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2013, 07:52:32 AM »
Some folks are legends in their own mind!  :rock
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »
Shane I remember goin to the DA with ya...was quite fun :joystick:

Errrmmmm - he's mentioned *two*  that left a bad taste.  If those were the only two he helped to any extent... I can see how he might be a little gunshy.

ahh...I can see why that would make it harder

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
... Higheye in his P-51. ... He any better?

I like higheye a lot.  Very nice pilot, thinks the pony is the best fighter in the game and doesn't accept the fact that the mighty Spitfire dispatches ponies with relatve ease, even after I've proven it to him on several occasions. :)

Having fought higheye's pony (and Spitfire), well... I certainly agree he could use help from a good pony pilot.  He sure wants to be awesome in that pony, as I in my mighty Spitfire... and based on my experience BigR is indeed the best pony pilot I've seen to date.  Maybe higheye and BigR (or batfinkV) could set up a TA session? :aok

I would really enjoy more frequently fighting and losing to, on occasion, a pony pilot of BigR's capabilities. :joystick:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Any pilot that is willing to turn fight his 51, LA7, 51B, Dora, 110, mossy,etc with a Spit > Spit pilot who believes he's "out flown" them. 

This is not an arguable fact.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
Your defense of him is just another troll, and it's getting tiresome.

While I do enjoy presenting a dissenting opinion when so many people are jumping on a hatred bandwagon and slapping each other on the back at all their hilarious insults, I am actually not trolling just for the sake of it. I truly believe what I have posted, especially the thing about about the 'people with egos at stake get trolled the most by Midway'

There are plenty of excellent sticks who don't get drawn in by him because they are humble enough and secure enough in their abilities that they just don't care what he says.

Perhaps it's easier for me to be objective about it because he really doesn't annoy me at all. I don't log enough hours in AH to really notice his 200 spamming (and I often de-tune 200 anyway when I am flying), and I also have no ego myself for him to damage. Midway is a better virtual pilot and dogfighter than I am. I can accept that without any qualms at all.

You see all kinds of excuses from those Midway shoots down and proceeds to troll, it's "But you only a fly an easy mode plane so it doesn't mean anything",  "But it was in the MA so it doesn't mean anything", "But the stats show 75% of the time I can shoot you down instead so there", etc. You very rarely see "<S> good fight, I'll get you next time!! :D"  or "At least Midway doesn't run away like 90% of the playerbase" - which is what I tend to think after tangling with him.  

Your failure to recognize his passive-agressive strategy is either naive, or an attempt to troll.    

Oh I recognize it all right. I just find it funny how effective that passive-aggressive strategy is at sending grown men completely off the deep end over an online game. The extremely angry and hate filled reaction that Midway gets from his mild-mannered brand of trolling is the sort of thing that makes the AH community unique.
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
Oh I recognize it all right. I just find it funny how effective that passive-aggressive strategy is at sending grown men completely off the deep end over an online game. The extremely angry and hate filled reaction that Midway gets from his mild-mannered brand of trolling is the sort of thing that makes the AH community unique.

I have the converse reaction, I think it's funny (well that's not the right word at all, but it will do as a placeholder) that a grown man would actually set out to come up with and employ a strategy to deliberately send people off the deep end via the medium / safety of a 'game'. I'm not surprised people get annoyed. To not do so is to grant that special dispensation must be made to normal civilised behaviour just because most of our interaction is via the medium of a Virtual Environment.

Presumably Midway isn't like this in real world interaction. Can you imagine him acting the way he does playing a sport say or driving the same way he flies and shouting out the window the same way he brags on 200 / BBS?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »

Presumably Midway isn't like this in real world interaction.

What led you to believe he has real world interaction?  :headscratch:

:)
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
What led you to believe he has real world interaction?  :headscratch:

:)

Well he must do something with his spare time  :old:
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »
driving the same way he flies and shouting out the window the same way he brags on 200 / BBS?

*With head out window while driving* "THE STIG IS MY CAR DRIVING HERO!!! MAY WE ALL ONE DAY ACHIEVE HIS AWESOMESAUCE-NESS!!!"

(Top Gear reference)
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
*With head out window while driving* "THE STIG IS MY CAR DRIVING HERO!!! MAY WE ALL ONE DAY ACHIEVE HIS AWESOMESAUCE-NESS!!!"

(Top Gear reference)

"There's just one small trick the Stig does which I haven't worked out yet. But when I do I will be faster than you all!".

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
"There's just one small trick the Stig does which I haven't worked out yet. But when I do I will be faster than you all!".

:rofl

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

:rofl

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"