Author Topic: ummm the GV game is lame  (Read 3571 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: ummm the GV game is lame
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
I spent some time with a great trainer, WWhiskey. While I'm still no "super pro" when it comes to tanking, I'm much better. It's funny how a little training can change your whole perspective on something.

I wish some of those "hordlings" would spend more time with the trainers  :devil

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Oh sure waystin, that works fine if you don't care about efficiency. The panther is best used as a support tank, or spearhead of a larger group. Use them as anchor points for your line; put them where the enemy can't ignore them, and use the lighter tanks to screen their flanks and take add to the Panther's fire.

Or stick them at the head of your column, and again use the lighter tanks as screening forces.

Takes coordination and numbers usually only found in squads, but mighty hard to beat when used like that.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
I spent some time with a great trainer, WWhiskey. While I'm still no "super pro" when it comes to tanking, I'm much better. It's funny how a little training can change your whole perspective on something.

I wish some of those "hordlings" would spend more time with the trainers  :devil
You know what man, that's a great idea. I've never even thought about there being a trainer for GVs. I have no idea about sighting or anything. I just seen over in the training forums that WWhiskey is taking on folks for training too. I think I'll look into that. Tnx Fugi!  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
You can drive through some bushes, but the ones that are meant to represent hedgerows should, and do, stop a tank.  They probably should be a bit wider and taller to be to look scale.  The flipping aspect is probably an unfortunate byproduct of the ground handling code.  It has to handle driving up on the slopes of berms and it apparently gets a bit wonky when it has to deal with a 90 degree angle (like a hedgerow or barn).  Also, the small stone farm house and associated ox-cart are a bit wonky in their hit detection- best stay away from them as the hit extends a bit beyond their visible shape.  This also means if you are hiding behind them and have what appears to be a clear shot, the building may still block your round.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
There are more than a couple buggy aspects, but I still have a great time with it, esp when the bases are arranged such that 2 v-bases can can fight it out at an intermediate spawn, which prevents one side of the battle consisting of Tiger2's sitting on concrete
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
There are more than a couple buggy aspects, but I still have a great time with it, esp when the bases are arranged such that 2 v-bases can can fight it out at an intermediate spawn, which prevents one side of the battle consisting of Tiger2's sitting on concrete

This is ridiculous criticism of the Tiger II's essential role; Guardian of the Map Room. A Tiger II is like the fat kid you put in the goal, because he is so big it's hard to score past him. The Tiger II is an anchor that is hard for any GV to get beyond. An M8 is all but useless against one, yet an M3 can drive circles around it literally faster than the turret moves. It is also great at giving mudhens the idea that they might actually score a hit on a perk tank, so they waste their bombs on concrete.

I can tell you first hand that it is also a fierce opponent in the field. I use it for HQ defense whenever a vehicle base spawns into our HQ, and I don't use it by sitting on concrete. I have had M4's at 20 feet try to turret me to no avail, while Panzers and Panthers shell my position from further out, and the Tiger II survived intact. I have been afield with one as our base flipped, and killed a dozen tanks and a half-dozen aircraft as I egressed.

No, the Tiger II does not just sit on concrete.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:01 AM »
I simply have no ability to gv. I rarely see a target before he one shots me. When I do I never hit him. I cannot imagine how it is that I am incapable of seeing someone 3.5k away yet tthe enemy can HVAP my turret ring with one shot. Even when I took the King Tiger I was again 1shotted by an invisible assailant. :frown:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
I have to be the worst GVer in the game. I drive a panther for 15 minutes to get to the top of a hill. Then decide I'm too far away to hit a damned thing, so I take off back down the hill...hit a bump and roll end over end about 10 or 15 times until I come to a stop at the bottom of the hill.  :rolleyes: Luckily I land right side up. So I proceed to get closer to enemy vbase only to be spotted by a Storch. So I duck in behind a barn, but then decide to back out to shoot the Storch with my little machine gun, only to run into a apple cart that flips me over upside down :bhead. Storch then proceeds to drop orange smoke all around my position  :uhoh

I end sortie, lose 6 perk points and give storch boi a free kill.  :(

:rofl
***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »
This is ridiculous criticism of the Tiger II's essential role; Guardian of the Map Room. A Tiger II is like the fat kid you put in the goal, because he is so big it's hard to score past him. The Tiger II is an anchor that is hard for any GV to get beyond. An M8 is all but useless against one, yet an M3 can drive circles around it literally faster than the turret moves. It is also great at giving mudhens the idea that they might actually score a hit on a perk tank, so they waste their bombs on concrete.

I can tell you first hand that it is also a fierce opponent in the field. I use it for HQ defense whenever a vehicle base spawns into our HQ, and I don't use it by sitting on concrete. I have had M4's at 20 feet try to turret me to no avail, while Panzers and Panthers shell my position from further out, and the Tiger II survived intact. I have been afield with one as our base flipped, and killed a dozen tanks and a half-dozen aircraft as I egressed.

No, the Tiger II does not just sit on concrete.

Of course it doesn't sit on concrete.

The peter-puffer driving it does
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
You know what man, that's a great idea. I've never even thought about there being a trainer for GVs. I have no idea about sighting or anything. I just seen over in the training forums that WWhiskey is taking on folks for training too. I think I'll look into that. Tnx Fugi!  :salute
Anytime!!! :noid :noid
Flying since tour 71.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »

:lol

Dang Chalenge, how much do you have to suck to get everyone riled up? At least Midway is funny. You're just laugh out loud sad.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
maybe you could word your opinion a bit better.   :aok  While I agree that there are some goofy things going on in the terrain, etc, I understand the limitations of the coading.

My question is can HTC, at least for future maps, reduce the "hard" signature of an object and still allow it to provide visual concealment? For instance, the hedgerows are currently one of those things that if you run in to with your tank you are stopped, spun around, or flipped. Is there a way to reduce the hedgerows down so that when (most) gv's hit them they go over top instead of stopping AND still have the visual effect of the hedgerow there?

I can actually answer that :)  Back when we got the updated panzer IV there was a bug that allowed you to drive through all the trees.  I actually thought it was supposed to be that way!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
I think the "push" that sends cv's spinning or rolling is necessary to keep you from hanging up on whatever you run into.

Of course, if you get "pushed" by one object into others nearby, you can really get to bouncing like a pinball.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »

Thank you.

That's one of two suggestions I would make (outside of changing the hardness of objects and letting shrubberies flip tanks)...

1) Make the spawn areas about 5x bigger, so campers can't play whack-a-mole so easily, and

2) give a 10 second delay from the time someone hits .ef in a GV til the vehicle towers to prevent dooshnozzles who like to sit on concrete in perk tanks from being 100% invinceable.

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey