Author Topic: Any Fw190-A8 ace out there?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
Any Fw190-A8 ace out there?
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:37 AM »
I was wondering if you know who are the bests "butcher" sticks in AH. I'd like to ask them some help in order to "move that thing" once they've been caught low and/or slow. I'd really appreciate any, lets say, TA/DA learning time.

Any names you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

:salute 
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
Re: Any Fw190-A8 ace out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
Duplicated
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:51:13 AM by Kovel »

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
Fly with a friend or 2 man, that thing is a flying couch low and slow.  I've seen Stampf make it out of some very hairy low and slow fights, and Shane in the AVA was doing really well with the a8, but a decent stick in most planes is going to take care of an a8 on the deck pretty easily.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
Fly with a friend or 2 man, that thing is a flying couch low and slow.  I've seen Stampf make it out of some very hairy low and slow fights, and Shane in the AVA was doing really well with the a8, but a decent stick in most planes is going to take care of an a8 on the deck pretty easily.

Stampf and Shane, thanks Hopper.

Is Stampf his in-game nick as well?

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
Yes
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »

Shane would mop me up 1v1, I'm sure Kovel, but I'd gladly share my experience in the A8 with you.

I'm around.  Give a shout. 

Frankly...if caught low and slow...like you suppose...Hopper is correct...while anything is possible..a competent stick and marksman is going to take the A-8 out...barring interference from other A/C.  There are some things you can do to better your odds of course...and a larger part of my success stems from being just a cog in a squadron wheel...ie...I can generally avoid taking critical damage long enough for help to arrive.  I've found that the A-8 is best flown with friends.  Don't lose heart though...with smart gun and fuel selections and a bit of defensive ACM, you can mix it up a bit and be effective and even make it out...though...this is no Stall/dogfighter even in the loosest of definitions.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
You might check with Doc72CH also.  He does pretty good in that plane and I'm sure can give you some tips.  Flies Knights and is on most evenings.

Zaphod
Brakechk/Zaphod

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
Ty Stampf for your kind offer ! I'll look for you in the MA.

Zap thx Sir, I'll add Doc72CH on my list

:salute

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »

:rofl  I like that honest terminology, might save it for later.  :aok

The A8 is a ruthless butcher to anything infront of it, if you have energy and speed it will hold onto it very well and it has a great WEP duration.  Give its advatage of speed and energy up and the hunter becomes the hunted very quickly in a fight.  It does retain one ace up its pocket though even in the slow, it has a spectacular roll rate, and can be used to save or prolong your demise (as Stampf mentioned, utilising it as a cog in the squadron wheele, while also trying your best to keep yourself out of a disadvantage, yields wonderful results while flying the butcher bird).

As others mentioned, take note of the fight/mission before you and pay careful note to your fuel/ord loadouts.  It is easy to overladen, and given it's already/modeled heavy tendencies it is fairly unforgiving about them.

It is a versatile tough little plane though in AH, and I do love it the most for this.  While laden with heavy armor reinfocements that rob from its performance against fighters, it does have them and is more forgiving to taking a beating in a fight.  Loaded heavy with cannon it is still capable of competeing at the furballs, albeit more in a traditional BnZ role - and if you get bounced by a new and higher con its quick roll rate gives you a chance to evade.  It shines at buff killing and attacking light ground targets at fields (bunkers take only a couple seconds of fire to strafe down, it greases AAA emplacements, and knocks out open-turret GVs with a solid and very brief bead - and after turreting a Whirble or Osti on a crafty first pass, a longer and high-angle (~60+) hosing concentrated into the turret for a TKO.  It can detrack heavy GVs and even take out the turret or engine on mediums-light GVs at the right spot and angle to the armor).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »
While laden with heavy armor reinfocements that rob from its performance against fighters, it does have them and is more forgiving to taking a beating in a fight.

This is demonstrably not true. I, and other pilots that have flown the A8 and the A5 excessively have deemed there is no extra armor added. In fact it has all the weight but none of the armor. If it had the armor modeled, it would never lose guns or engine oil due to return fire. It loses oil almost always. It has a glass jaw. This is absolute evidence that the extra armor is not present.

It's really no more durable than the A-5 variant. It can take a few solid hits if you're lucky, though the same can be said for many a plane in this game. Many a time it will go down in 1 burst from your attacker, if the attacker's aim is true.

You will find you lose your cannons regularly, you lose your oil almost always, and you can get pilot wounds very freely, when flying the 190A-8. PWs aren't as bad as, say, the tempest or the mossie, but higher than I get in 109s and the like.

As for dogfighting in the A8: It is a labor of love. You have to really love the plane, or really hate yourself, to dogfight in it a lot. That is to say, it has its own little style. You can BnZ in it all you like, and definitely get kills, but that's not what I'm talking about when I say dogfight. I mean get in, mix it up in a crowd, and repeatedly approach the stall while working for a perfect snapshot.

As an overall fighter it is deadly if it lands a shot on you, but this includes picks, bounces, BnZs, vulches, afk-deaths, look-up-and-see-a-plane-passing-and-squeaze-the-trigger-to-kill-it, and all manner of MA engagements that won't really stress the airframe like a tight furball will. For all of the former, it can be fun. For that latter category, it is as I described above: more for love of the plane than enjoyment of its capabilities.

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20:37 AM »
Thanks for the information.

I'm most interested in "what to do" when a Spit, La7, P51, Typhoon gets you low and maybe slow. Given the fact the I usually go with the 30mm pack, is there any chance to get dirty with them and kill'em?

Not even the rolling scissor seems to work as much as expected, due to the fact that once the A8 is slow it loves falling like a dead pig.

A Dora can offer some tricks in order to turn the fite and kill an enemy with more energy. And, moreover, if you can't manage to turn the close fite in the end, at least you can get away.

But I can't find the way to turn the tables in an A8.

Well, as I am from Europe, hope to find some of the guys you suggested and ask them for tips. 

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »
Agree with the assertion that there is no up-armor or extra armor on the A-8 compared with the A-5. Historically there absolutely was, hence the extra weight.

Watch your fuel closely, once you get to the FWD tank it will go quickly. Check out this link and you'll see why: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,341977.0.html

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »
Also the following was very helpful to me (thanks again gents):

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,341617.0.html
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
Thanks a lot Rotbaron  :salute

I'm reading it

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the information.

I'm most interested in "what to do" when a Spit, La7, P51, Typhoon gets you low and maybe slow. Given the fact the I usually go with the 30mm pack, is there any chance to get dirty with them and kill'em?

Not even the rolling scissor seems to work as much as expected, due to the fact that once the A8 is slow it loves falling like a dead pig.

A Dora can offer some tricks in order to turn the fite and kill an enemy with more energy. And, moreover, if you can't manage to turn the close fite in the end, at least you can get away.

But I can't find the way to turn the tables in an A8.

Well, as I am from Europe, hope to find some of the guys you suggested and ask them for tips. 

Forcing the overshoot is your best chance.  If they are directly behind and level of you...this is more difficult and you must make the scissors work one way or another.

If they are on top...

...When I see them begin their 'look' at me, I go into a flat turn (blasphemy in the 190, I know)...either direction...looking out the top of my canopy as they dive.  Adjust your turn the whole time in order to keep them right top dead center of your canopy.  When I believe the nme is about to go to guns...400 - 800 or so...I go wings level, and roll out the opposite direction of the turn. A simple maneuver that 9 out of 10 times this will get you an overshoot and with some timing and practice you will be able to get a good snapshot off as they pass.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -