Author Topic: 5th Suicide Within 14 Months.  (Read 1813 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: 5th Suicide Within 14 Months.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
my gf's therapist committed suicide 3 weeks ago.  he had battled depression for years.  that only tells you that nobody is immune.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
my gf's therapist committed suicide 3 weeks ago.  he had battled depression for years.  that only tells you that nobody is immune.

semp

Of all the people that could commit suicide, I would have thought therapists would be one of the last.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
but had a medical problem that caused her to have depression due to chemical imbalances in her brain.

However, she was like the fifth person to commit suicide in the preceeding year (at that time) to kill themselves by walking in front of a train in the greater Pittsburgh area.

:noid ... :furious ... Get off the Drugs! they are not the cure!  I would look at the social situation, and personal sense of worth and value!  Drugs will help avoid the problem in the short term, counseling and positive life experience "could" dig them out of their mental hole.

Sad/difficult situation no matter how you look at it.  :pray

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
Of all the people that could commit suicide, I would have thought therapists would be one of the last.

here's another one for you.  my gf has been dealing with alcoholism for 25+ years.  she's doing good now, thank god.  but a 20% of all the therapists at the rehab place have had problems with drugs and alcohol themselves.

they are human, just like the rest of us.

semp

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
here's another one for you.  my gf has been dealing with alcoholism for 25+ years.  she's doing good now, thank god.  but a 20% of all the therapists at the rehab place have had problems with drugs and alcohol themselves.

they are human, just like the rest of us.

semp

I'm not surprised that they've had problems themselves, a lot of people who have had problems that work in rehab used to be a drug addict/depression effected and got help and was "cured" of the issue. I know a chiropractor that had chronic depression for 5 years and almost killed himself, but went for help and now he's helping people with their physical body state.

It is true, we are all human, but sometimes I just wish we all weren't filled with flaws.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
:noid ... :furious ... Get off the Drugs! they are not the cure!  I would look at the social situation, and personal sense of worth and value!  Drugs will help avoid the problem in the short term, counseling and positive life experience "could" dig them out of their mental hole.

medication is combined with therapy.  as for your get off the drugs comment, well keep it to yourself.  you arent anybody's doctor here.  some of us need medication and your "expert" opinion is just plain stupid.

I have a chemical imbalance and have battled with depression since I was a kid.  I didnt ask for help until  I was in my late 30's.  If i had sought helped my life would have been different and probably would not have attempted to kill myself.  my first attempt was at 13 and my last was about 13 years ago.  medication didnt "cure" me but it sure did help live a better life.  also educating myself about what was "wrong" with me helped.

and just so you know, this condition passes on from generation to generation.  my father is like me, just like my kids are.  the only difference is that my kids are getting help now instead of when they are in their 30's or 40's like me.

semp

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
medication is combined with therapy.  as for your get off the drugs comment, well keep it to yourself.  you arent anybody's doctor here.  some of us need medication and your "expert" opinion is just plain stupid.

I have a chemical imbalance and have battled with depression since I was a kid.  I didnt ask for help until  I was in my late 30's.  If i had sought helped my life would have been different and probably would not have attempted to kill myself.  my first attempt was at 13 and my last was about 13 years ago.  medication didnt "cure" me but it sure did help live a better life.  also educating myself about what was "wrong" with me helped.

and just so you know, this condition passes on from generation to generation.  my father is like me, just like my kids are.  the only difference is that my kids are getting help now instead of when they are in their 30's or 40's like me.

semp

well glad you never accomplished it, I have been there many times, but my kids have always been my reason not to.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
I live in Wisconsin. Hardly anything ever happens in my area, so I don't think there is any sort of link.

Hell, the county I live in is the highest for suicide rates in all of Wisconsin.

Sounds like the message is "get out of there".

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
Sounds like the message is "get out of there".

I'd love to...

But i'm only 16.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
One of the best books I've ever read:

I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression    by Terrence Real

This is a book for all men, don't let the subtitle put you off. There is a lot to learn in this book for everybody, women too, and especially for those who don't "get along" with their father (figure.)

A good friend of mine (therapist) likes to use an analogy of a septic tank to life's problems. Something like this: by about 12-13yrs old your septic tank is nearly full, if during the next 6-8yrs that septic tank is only added to and isn't cleaned out (partially) from time to time, take a guess what happens. That $*&# usually presents itself in the forms of temporary escape(s,) i.e. substance abuse or compulsive behavior.

Re: the book take what you like, leave what you don't, but trust me on one thing, you don't want anxiety/depression/oc behaviors as a result of not cleaning out that tank (therapy) from time to time.

If one has inherited a disorder, medication may be necessary but is usually only successful in combination with therapy. We all have this metaphorical septic tank that stuff has been crammed in.

One last thing, a lot in that septic tank is the result of loss, grieving is the only way to deal with loss. Real MEN do cry, 30yr old+ children abuse substances, etc.

GL

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
We've had around 30 soldiers commit suicide at Fort Campbell within the year I been here, Base with the highest rate in the country.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »
Mental problems are on the increase due to individuals inability to distinguish between reality and fiction :old:

AH is a prime example of this, those who try to achieve in this game usually end up leaving due to this problem.

The online social network which isolates individuals is also to blame, I have 400 friends on facebook for example.

In the UK you cannot discriminate against someone who is suffering from mental issues, the patients have take over the asylum.

People need to get out more :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 07:25:29 AM »

I don't know exactly what she had (what it was called), but it was a naturally occurring imbalance that she was born with. I don't believe she was on any medication for it but was regularly seeing a therapist.

She also wasn't an outcast, quite the opposite rather. She literally had hundreds of friends from school districts around the area. Her and her twin were co-captains for the Cheer squad, when they were juniors.

I believe she had recently broken up with her boyfriend and that was the trigger for her relapse and depression.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
Whenever I hear of a suicide I recall what a suicide attempt survivor said.  His chosen method was to jump off of the Golden Gate bridge.  He said that as soon as he had jumped he realized everything in his life was totally fixable, except having jumped off of the bridge.  He got lucky and lived.

I believe she had recently broken up with her boyfriend and that was the trigger for her relapse and depression.
That kind of event prompted the 17 year old daughter of a co-worker to jump off of the Marin Headlands.  Young people, even without medication, tend to blow these things way, way out of proportion and declare bumps in life's road to be the end of life.  Sadly, sometimes they act on it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:09:55 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Well at about 4:15 PM today someone killed themselves in my area.

What's so special about this? Oh, nothing really, other than the fact that this is the 5th suicide within a 14 month period.

What is up with people just deciding to kill themselves recently? Is this a big issue in other parts of the country, or is the area I live in a special case? I don't think there's a suicide rate as high as the area I live in throughout the neighboring states.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors