Author Topic: NEW DELL for ACES Hi ?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: NEW DELL for ACES Hi ?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 02:39:43 AM »
WHO IS TILDEATH???
He is a former AH'er and a professional computer builder, known for his cable management and overall quality - although as MrRipley said, some of his clients haven't been pleased. I suppose you can find someone like him near your whereabouts, too. Someone who is both gaming oriented and computer/component savvy can give valuable hints for a builder or build a pleasing rig turnkey delivery.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
tilldeath is the ultimate man for computer business.  he's built more computers for this game than any other builder. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
I would caution anyone in the EXTREME from using Til Death to build a computer.  I had a very poor experience that has not been resolved too date.  There are others that feel like I do, but I will not speak for them.

If you are remotely serious about using TD for a computer system, I would suggest you search his full name in the public databases in his current state and the  states surrounding the one he lives in.  Further, I would also search his claims on this board.  A small amount of public records searches will show some interesting information regarding his claims of going to Haiti on a humanitarian mission.

I wish you good luck on whatever choice you make.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline swinger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
I'm contenplaiting building my own, the comp I have now I built in 2008. What I need now is some quidense on the updated parts to put together a AcesHi comp.
Mid range could be OK.
Any help would be appreciated.
GEAGLER

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »
I'm contenplaiting building my own, the comp I have now I built in 2008. What I need now is some quidense on the updated parts to put together a AcesHi comp.
Mid range could be OK.

Building your own is a very good choice in many cases. You should define your price range for people to start giving advice.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 01:52:23 AM »
Mid range could be OK.
Knowing what you have inside would help, too. Unless you're planning to reuse only the case, in which case there's many good alternatives both in this thread and others posted during the last month or so in this forum.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
I've been using Dells to play AH (and Air Warrior before that) for more than a decade.  I think it's one of the best ways to go in terms of performance/price.

$550 for the Dell and $125 for a graphics card, and you are all set for most game settings on max, AA maxed out, and get frame rates of 60.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
I've been using Dells to play AH (and Air Warrior before that) for more than a decade.  I think it's one of the best ways to go in terms of performance/price.

$550 for the Dell and $125 for a graphics card, and you are all set for most game settings on max, AA maxed out, and get frame rates of 60.

If you could find a Dell case that fits..add in a decent PSU and a high end GPU (~$400 total) and you pretty much have a high end gaming PC since most Dells come with i5s and i7s these days (granted, not the overclock models). The biggest problem is just making sure you can fit the GPU and PSU. I managed to fit a 6870 into my Dell with a Corsair 750W (more than needed, but I plan to use it in the future). Had to take off the bracket on the 6870 and cut off a bit of the CPU heatsink to make it work.

The result was that the CPU heatsink isn't screwed in but still seats on top of the CPU. My temps gets a little wacky sometimes (80-95C) at max load. But after over a year of heavy gaming everyday for 3+ hours, I still haven't seen any problems. And I still have a backup E7500 to replace my current Q9550 should it die randomly.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:05 AM »
I just get Dells with 350W power supplies and don't bother changing them.  That has always worked OK for me so far (although that is one thing I do wish Dells had -- bigger power supplies).  You can swap the factory PSU's with standard ones you can buy online or at stores, generally, without having to modify the case.  It's just a hassle to change PSU's.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:31:59 AM by Brooke »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »
I had a gateway computer with a 300 ps.  that was my first puter about 7 years ago.  I got a video card and it worked pretty good.  it was a geforce 8400.  I read about ps and video cards and decided to change the ps to a 450.  it was like night and day.  i guess the 300 ps was starving the low end video card.

I currently have a 750w ps on a 2500k cpu and msi mobo with sli evga 465 cards.  I think it's at about 80% load.  I was gonna get a bigger ps then I read what skuzzy and others said about having a too big/small ps and decided to just stick with this one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 02:12:39 AM »
Just looked at what Dell I'd get if I were buying one today.  I think I'd get the Inspiron 660 with an I5 processor ($500).  It only comes with a 300W power supply, but from the owner's manual, it looks like the connectors to the motherboard are standard ATX12V.  So, I'd probably buy a decent 400-500W ATX12V power supply from Newegg and swap it (perhaps another $50-$75) and a $125 graphics card -- and Bob's your uncle.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30:04 AM »
Just looked at what Dell I'd get if I were buying one today.  I think I'd get the Inspiron 660 with an I5 processor ($500).  It only comes with a 300W power supply, but from the owner's manual, it looks like the connectors to the motherboard are standard ATX12V.  So, I'd probably buy a decent 400-500W ATX12V power supply from Newegg and swap it (perhaps another $50-$75) and a $125 graphics card -- and Bob's your uncle.
I've played with the idea of buying a cheap basic computer and beefing it up, but then I've thought about it again, done some calculations and quality comparisons and dumped the idea. Quality power supplies cost IMO more than $50 and even $75 sounds like a good bargain. Nevertheless, even if your price estimations were valid, the total price would go up to $700. For what I've read on this forum it seems that decent components of the same specs would be available for the same price over there, including a case with space enough to fit a foot long video card. I once had a customer, a young man, who had bought a nice rig from the Internet. His first surprise was, that it wasn't ready built. The second drawback was that the Antec case, although being big and sturdy, had full height HDD rails inside so that the video card wouldn't fit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:37:32 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 05:36:05 AM »
I've played with the idea of buying a cheap basic computer and beefing it up, but then I've thought about it again, done some calculations and quality comparisons and dumped the idea. Quality power supplies cost IMO more than $50 and even $75 sounds like a good bargain. Nevertheless, even if your price estimations were valid, the total price would go up to $700. For what I've read on this forum it seems that decent components of the same specs would be available for the same price over there, including a case with space enough to fit a foot long video card. I once had a customer, a young man, who had bought a nice rig from the Internet. His first surprise was, that it wasn't ready built. The second drawback was that the Antec case, although being big and sturdy, had full height HDD rails inside so that the video card wouldn't fit.

Also gotta remember to subtract $100 since the OS is already there. Newegg regularly put 500W Corsair PSUs for sale for around 60-70$.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline swinger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of the DELL.
I intend to spend $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 for the unit no monitor,
I have a SyncMaster226bw 2ms 3000:1 that I hope
should be adaquate?
Now to check what they have.
GEAGLER

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of the DELL.
I intend to spend $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 for the unit no monitor,
I have a SyncMaster226bw 2ms 3000:1 that I hope
should be adaquate?
Now to check what they have.

If you like the idea of spending 1200 for a computer you could build for 800 yourself, go ahead ;)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone