Author Topic: A-20 characteristics  (Read 7896 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: A-20 characteristics
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2013, 12:50:36 AM »
I approach the A-20 as a double engined zero with six 50 cal guns.  Always seemed like it was missing about 70% of its mass.  Whether it is or not?  who cares....that's just how I approach them.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »
Totally untrue.

I was beating him one night in a very good one on one when we were inturrupted by friendlies.  We had a friendly PM exchange afterward.  I was posting some nice things about him in another forum after this.

We ran into one another again soon afterward and I think I won (but I'm not 100% sure).  He immediately PM'd or 200'd some lame excuse and how I wasn't any good blah blah blah.  He's hardly the great guy you think he is.  He's just another whiner.
Good (or not), but i have only written my experience. Its in a complete opposition of what i have seen from grayclif.
And i would rather hear Cobia's lame exuses nonstop for a month than the other one's deliriously narcissistic BS.
 ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2013, 01:44:12 AM »
He immediately PM'd or 200'd some lame excuse and how I wasn't any good blah blah blah.  He's hardly the great guy you think he is.  He's just another whiner.

We all have our good and bad days, Cobia is human after all despite what the rebels want you to believe.

/Go Tie fighter!
JG 52

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »
There's definately something fishy there, last week I remember having serious trouble shaking his A20 off in vertical and I was in K4 with 300+mph startup speed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2013, 03:20:20 AM »
As soon as you said an A20 beat you I knew it would have been Cobia38 .. the guy is amazing in it.  Asymetric thrust handled properly can do amazing things :P Whether he uses that though I have no idea !!!

You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:02 AM »
There's definately something fishy there, last week I remember having serious trouble shaking his A20 off in vertical and I was in K4 with 300+mph startup speed.

If he's got the E, going vertical was your mistake.  Just like the P-38, the A-20 is excellent in the vertical.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
If he's got the E, going vertical was your mistake.  Just like the P-38, the A-20 is excellent in the vertical.

ack-ack

Um.. the A20 should not handle 300+ speeds very good and I was in K4 of all things.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2013, 05:43:29 AM »
Have to agree with Grayclif on this one 100%. A20 in turn fight with fighters,with no E goes form 7k to 11k straight up, rolls over to keep on fighting, does end up getting shot down....but 4k straight up? :confused:(did have film but puter crashed)
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »
Um.. the A20 should not handle 300+ speeds very good and I was in K4 of all things.

It handles quite well at 300mph IAS and it's energy retention in the vertical is quite good.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »
Have to agree with Grayclif on this one 100%. A20 in turn fight with fighters,with no E goes form 7k to 11k straight up, rolls over to keep on fighting, does end up getting shot down....but 4k straight up? :confused:(did have film but puter crashed)

if my comp crapped the bed right as i was noticing odd things in a game... I'd say case solved.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
Cobia certainly has the reputation of a Cod in the A20 and I've been on the receiving end of his lessons.  No chest thumping etc.  Just good fights and I learned what NOT to do against his A20.  If there is a question as to why he is so good, there is a simple solution: film every encounter with A20s and send them in to Hitech if it's cobia.  Only thing about this is that he has been so good in that thing for so long I suspect some fillms have probably been sent in and he's still here.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:53 AM »
has anyone who thinks the A20 is a bit dodgy bothered to learn to fight in it? Its really hard work. In some ways its like learning the Jug, but alot more so. Everything can outclimb and outaccelerate you, so you cant fight the other guy's fight and have to use its strengths, be able to do the basics really well, and make no mistakes. And if the other guy knows what hes doing, you'll still lose.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
If you look at the specs .. The weight of the A20 is 300Ib lighter than a 38J with 600hp more per engine.  Not as sleek therefore not as fast but buckets of power for the climb. So it's feasible :)
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
I seem to recall a story in Saburo Sakai's biography about a Boston of some variant (I believe it was the A20) surprising Sakai and a couple of his wingmen when it's pilot saw Zeroes moving in for the kill and began turning into the fighters and engaged them in a turn fight. It was futile, but I believe Sakai stated he was amazed by the ability of the pilot and the aircraft.

Yep, got to be careful around that Cobia fella. Bring spare fruit of the looms when he's about.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »
I recall a back and forth between an A-20, Cobia perhaps, fan and Mossie fans as to which was the better fighter.  This was back before the Mossie's update.  The A-20 fan insisted that the A-20 was the better fighter because the Mossie's speed and climb advantage wasn't much.  After being put to the test the A-20 fan said that the Mossie's power and acceleration/climb advantage was better than he had thought it was.  He got one brief shot on the Mossie that caused no damage and from that point until the end the Mossie controlled the fight.  I think it was Cobia in the A-20G and Batfink in the Mossie, but I don't recall exactly.

If you are in a fighter, any fighter, don't play the A-20G's game and he doesn't have a massive E advantage at the start, you will win. It doesn't matter if it is Cobia or newb number guy.  Cobia will make it last longer, but the end result is the same.

On the other hand, if you take liberties like the OP did, well, Cobia'll kill ya.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-