Author Topic: A-20 characteristics  (Read 7902 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Re: A-20 characteristics
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
all a20s are EZ pickings, but you have to "pick" them not fly with them. unless you are in a turn fighter.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
I seem to recall a story in Saburo Sakai's biography about a Boston of some variant (I believe it was the A20) surprising Sakai and a couple of his wingmen when it's pilot saw Zeroes moving in for the kill and began turning into the fighters and engaged them in a turn fight. It was futile, but I believe Sakai stated he was amazed by the ability of the pilot and the aircraft.

Yep, got to be careful around that Cobia fella. Bring spare fruit of the looms when he's about.

That was a Hudson.

- Oldman

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
2 questions :

1. anyone knows now many G a A20 can turn with full bomb-load in AH/RL ?
2 at how many G can a gunner turret still pull around and track/kill stuff in AH/RL.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:03:46 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
I ripped my wings off at around 4 G's doing 300. No idea about the other topics
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

That was a Hudson.

- Oldman

My mistake. But, they are very similar airframes on first glance. I briefly tried to find wing-loading numbers to compare to the A20 just now but didn't.

I did find a detailed account of that fight though at http://www.abc.net.au/austory/transcripts/s590505.htm

"That guy was a master! I mean, he just took his bomber and he flew it like a fighter! ...the guy was a tremendous pilot, a tremendous pilot, he knew exactly what he was doing..." -Saburo Sakai

and came to the conclusion, Cobia is Cowan reincarnated.  :lol

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
 :aok :rofl
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline eeyore

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I did find a detailed account of that fight though at http://www.abc.net.au/austory/transcripts/s590505.htm

"That guy was a master! I mean, he just took his bomber and he flew it like a fighter! ...the guy was a tremendous pilot, a tremendous pilot, he knew exactly what he was doing..." -Saburo Sakai

and came to the conclusion, Cobia is Cowan reincarnated.  :lol

Wow, that is a great story.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Dear HTC,

Please take a look at updating the handling characteristcs of the A-20.

Last night I was out-turned by an A-20 while flying a P-51D in a dogfight at 14k alt. We entered into a tight turn fight at this alt and within 2 complete circles, the A-20, piloted by "Cobia38", was able to turn inside my pony (even with my flaps deployed and WEP power) for the kill. Having known a pilot who flew real A-20's, being a pilot myself, and comparing the two real aircrafts qualities; this would not have been possible. Even under ideal conditions for the A-20 could not turn with such a nimble fighter. Especially in air that dense.

The A-20 pilot I know, said that the A-20 has a lot of climbing power, and turns fairly well if speeds were high, but that is about it. "It was dog in the air for the most part, handling much like an empty B-25. But if you we're going over 300 mph the Havoc would pull vertical with the best of 'em." "You put it thru the mill in dives and g-loading, it just couldn't turn worth a damn".

Either yet another hack has joined the ranks, or the A-20 needs a big big mod. Please fix. 

Thank you.

Regards,

The Grayclif

Hail the Cobia

please take your seat..
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
Never take an A-20 for granted. It can hold its own with more than a few fighters. I had a great flaps out 1v1 with Creton in his 109K4 last night. I had ripped off my rudder diving on a P-38. So, I had a disadvantage in that I could not use the rudder to speed up the roll rate, or side slip for a shot. Still, I was able to ping up the 109, before someone picked Creton (despite my asking over VOX to let us fight it out) after several minutes of maneuvering. The nature of the fight was furballing, so Creton and I never had another opportunity to try again.

If I'm reasonably close in energy, I'll tackle anything that comes along, with a reasonable expectation of winning.

The A-20 is a real hoot.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:12:35 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline geepel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2013, 02:07:09 AM »
Guys like Cobia are why this game is so much fun, but I have to laugh at anyone who would argue that the A20 was some kind of a legendary turn fighter.  With Cobia, it is a legendary turn fighter in Aces High, but my guess is most pilots in WW2 would prefer to have any other fighter plane in a dog fight then an A20.  I think that was the point of the original post.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2013, 04:42:12 AM »
Guys like Cobia are why this game is so much fun, but I have to laugh at anyone who would argue that the A20 was some kind of a legendary turn fighter.  With Cobia, it is a legendary turn fighter in Aces High, but my guess is most pilots in WW2 would prefer to have any other fighter plane in a dog fight then an A20.  I think that was the point of the original post.

In real life if USAAF pilots flew the A-20 like it's flown in here, they'd be taken off the flight line and grounded.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »
I dont think many of the R/L pilots have performed aerobatic moves during dogfights, just like tailwhips, hammerheads, etc, many other moves i dont even know. I belive the simple rolling scissors was rare enough.
The A-20 is not an impotent dogfighter. Still, if anyone has serious problems against them, whoever is flying them... well might be time for him to learn how to fly.
AoM
City of ice

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

if my comp crapped the bed right as i was noticing odd things in a game... I'd say case solved.

Learn to read.....said I had film, but puter crashed.....so I am saying I dont have film anymore :bhead
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:16:31 AM by HawkerMKII »
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
I dont think many of the R/L pilots have performed aerobatic moves during dogfights, just like tailwhips, hammerheads, etc, many other moves i dont even know. I belive the simple rolling scissors was rare enough.

Exactly. EVERY plane in AH is flown far outside the normal operating parameters than historically was the reality. Your cartoon pilots endure more physical in an hour of play time than most RL pilots did in their career. If Cobia's A20 was flying outside of it's RL potential, most likely the OP's P51 was outside what any pilot in WW2 flew theirs at. How many pilots in RL ever used 4 or 5 notches of flaps in a dogfight? I doubt it ever happened.

but I have to laugh at anyone who would argue that the A20 was some kind of a legendary turn fighter.  

I haven't noticed anyone suggest it was, only that it was capable of more its role necessitated.

With Cobia, it is a legendary turn fighter in Aces High, but my guess is most pilots in WW2 would prefer to have any other fighter plane in a dog fight then an A20.  I think that was the point of the original post.

The original post asserted that the A20 was absolutely incapable of the turn performance it has in AH. I don't know that is true and I don't see any evidence that proves it is.

In real life if USAAF pilots flew the A-20 like it's flown in here, they'd be taken off the flight line and grounded.

ack-ack

That is not completely true unless you are referring to blatant repeated disregard for orders. Even then, if he did it and succeeded his superiors would have most likely gave him a transfer to a fighter unit, not grounded him.

The question was, was it possible.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »

ack-ack

Nah....this is like real life Ack :x
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>