Author Topic: Was AH ever....  (Read 1694 times)

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
Was AH ever....
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
A two country game?

Would it help the further development of the game?

Would it help future additions to be more easily implemented?

Would it help make maps easier to be introduced?

Would it make game play better?

Answer but please leave a reason.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:43:29 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Was AH ever....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
A two country game?

Would it help the further development of the game?

Would it help future additions to be more easily implemented?

Would it help make maps easier to be introduced?

Would it make game play better?
Yup

Nope

Nope

Nope

Nope
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
Yup

Nope

Nope

Nope

Nope
Leave a reason lol.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »
look at the way the three individual sides play the game. All three are totally different, and IMHO, it would damage the game by limiting the styles that the three individual sides have gravitated to. This has occurred because like minds tend to congregate, and if sides were limited, it would lessen the fun of the game;
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
look at the way the three individual sides play the game. All three are totally different

:lol no, they're not

I like the idea of a change to two countries (although I don't think it'll happen)

My reasoning would be that for people like me who can only play in off-peak type hours when there are less than 100 players on (or even less than 50 :( ) it would probably make it a bit easier to get a fight (as opposed to completely impossible, as it is now)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
3 sides create an effective balance in numbers. even if side A has more numbers at a given time, by the time your extra numbers have helped push the Bs front, Side B or C will have gained numbers or A will have lost some. This keeps the fronts fluid.

With 2 sides the side with the numbers will quickly roll the other. there is no third side to help keep them in check or draw numbers away from the horde front. There could be a balancing mechanics, but this would annoy some and keep the front stale.
The only way to move the front would be via a group of skilled players being placed against lesser ones. This would frustrate many newer players and drive them out before they learnt the game.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
3 sides create an effective balance in numbers. even if side A has more numbers at a given time, by the time your extra numbers have helped push the Bs front, Side B or C will have gained numbers or A will have lost some. This keeps the fronts fluid.

With 2 sides the side with the numbers will quickly roll the other. there is no third side to help keep them in check or draw numbers away from the horde front. There could be a balancing mechanics, but this would annoy some and keep the front stale.
The only way to move the front would be via a group of skilled players being placed against lesser ones. This would frustrate many newer players and drive them out before they learnt the game.

This is the correct answer. I'm not positive, but I think Hitech post they tried 2 and found that 3 works better.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »
This is the correct answer. I'm not positive, but I think Hitech post they tried 2 and found that 3 works better.
yep, he sure did, a couple of times since i've been here...probably a few before that.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
I don't remember a two country game, I do remember two arenas. Your squad would be in the second arena while you are stuck joining the first arena due to population cap. Where in the first arena you have no squad members in your arena, and your country was probably being horded in the process so you spent hours flying alone until both arenas opened up or another unlucky squadmate logged on (if he didnt get lucky and get in the main arena first).

This was one of the main reasons I hopped countries and ignored squads for a very long time, i assumed it was never going to change - you had no use for a squad since you never got to fly with them unless it was FSO or something.

JG 52

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »
I don't remember two countries,other than in the AvA, but I've only been here since 2001.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 07:46:59 PM »
I don't remember two countries,other than in the AvA, but I've only been here since 2001.

I think it was done in his last game... mind blank on that games name, but it was in/before the early 90s

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
Warbirds

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
Warbirds

And AW.  HTC has been studying this for quite a long while.

- oldman

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »

And AW.  HTC has been studying this for quite a long while.

- oldman

I don't remember AW being two countries either, but I didn't join AW until it went free on AOL. ('95-'96, somewhere in there).
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54