Author Topic: Was AH ever....  (Read 1696 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Was AH ever....
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Lock? It's just one big map. Capturepalooza. Hordes? Since 1997 I haven't seen a control variable designed that could dissuade such.
oh i get it, you just want the points for capturing bases...doesn't matter if there is a fight or not. you can do that now...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
oh i get it, you just want the points for capturing bases...doesn't matter if there is a fight or not. you can do that now...

I've already been in one thread (recently) where someone claimed to know
the 'desires of my heart' based on an erroneous extrapolation of what I posted.
As Yul Brynner said in The Magnificent Seven - "Harry, please don't understand me so fast."

:D

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
Nothing would be limited beyond what we have now.  Up what you want when you want. I quick sketched a map with basic principals.

The focus would be on the large city and large strat vs. airfields or gv bases.  The scale of this is not any where near big enough.  This would be considered a battle map then when this is won you move to another historic battle map and when you win "as a country" several battle maps you win the war.  Winning battle maps gives each player "X" perks and winning Wars gives each player "X" more perks as a multiplier for time played.  I mean who cares about a star next to your name?  I don't.    

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:08:40 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »
Nothing would be limited beyond what we have now.  Up what you want when you want. I quick sketched a map with basic principals.

(Image removed from quote.)

The focus would be on the large city and large strat vs. airfields or gv bases.  The scale of this is not any where near big enough.  This would be considered a battle map then when this is won you move to another historic battle map and when you win "as a country" several battle maps you win the war.  Winning battle maps gives each player "X" perks and winning Wars gives each player "X" more perks as a multiplier for time played.  I mean who cares about a star next to your name?  I don't.   
so, from what i see there...make the cities and strats worth something to attack, more of the focus for winning the war. i can tell you that the "campaign" style of map rotation you're suggesting has been suggested before and...i can't remember why it was said it would not work <damn>. i personally enjoy campaign style warfare but, i'm just one in a couple of thousand people, getting even 50% buy in would be tough unless you get a lot more detailed in the mechanics of it.
jarhed  

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
So...  People will care about winning the battle map because when you win a bunch of battle maps, you get to win the 'war'?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
So...  People will care about winning the battle map because when you win a bunch of battle maps, you get to win the 'war'?

Wiley.

I wonder what happens if the Rooks win the first one, the Bish win the second one, the Knights the third, etc.?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
I wonder what happens if the Rooks win the first one, the Bish win the second one, the Knights the third, etc.?
depends on how many spyiez switch sides from map to map...  :lol
jarhed  

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »

Wiley.

yup....and can you imagine the epic battles street to street?....wuuuf.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »

Hows 7 for starters before a win....7 map changes in 7 days.  Could be very addictive!  Maybe get more players over to our world!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
ok so ToeTag wants "meaningful" wars with someone or something dictating the war, and increase the capacity of hordes winning the battles.

Bustr wants to give hordes reasons to run noe mishunz so that...what? he has someone to horde with? having trouble figuring out the line of thought.

Not really. It's become obvious if you don't feel free to sneek(use strategy) around the map with your attack group to surprise your target. And we all know it will be undefended. Then everyone retreats into a polite self censoring community politically correct defensive posture(steady state). Now we attack fields openly while hiding in a cloud of birds milling about generally getting nothing accomplished while we avoid being called dirty names like NOEer and hoardling. We are very polite and boring at the moment.

We have reduced ourselves to being afraid of peer pressure after a few years of constantly being called bad names for NOE hoard tactics so people could find sportsman gentil fights to jump into. Thank you vTards for nothing you useless tardlings even if it was fun playing whack-A-mole with you guys for the last 2 years. In retrospect I miss your constant grief and the action you generated for everyone trying to stomp you out of their collective miseries. Political correctness resulted from the pendulum swing whining for the vBoys and all NOE hoards to launch openly then gentiliee stand and fight. Boring....only a very small percentage of the human race is emotionally constituted to run to the sound of cannons. The rest will only face danger if they can sneek up behind it with a club.

So now we hide in the clouds as groups or hide in the ack as groups in polite capitulation to our long suffering fair gentil play crying brethren. We is becoming tame and arcadish due to not wanting to be labeled and stigmatized by our previously crying peers. In so we are doing a disservice to new younger players by making them think hiding in hoards and stomping on smaller numbers of players is normative rather than a cyclic swing in competing game play philosophies. At least the vTards kept dusting themselves off after each defeat and kept coming back at us generating more combat by their refusal to be beaten down no matter how lame many were as individual fighters.

Until this current politically correct borg period is over, we might as well call the DA our LWMA and all log into there each night. Then everyone line up for polite knights of the sky dueling ladder beat downs dominated by the muppets and a hand full of their peers. In retrospect we would all probably up at furball lake in late war monsters and shoot each other in the back at very high speed until the current MA tides changes. Free the NOE Evil Hoards. At least they generated uncertainty and action to saddle up and fight against.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Nothing would be limited beyond what we have now.  Up what you want when you want. I quick sketched a map with basic principals.

(Image removed from quote.)

The focus would be on the large city and large strat vs. airfields or gv bases.  The scale of this is not any where near big enough.  This would be considered a battle map then when this is won you move to another historic battle map and when you win "as a country" several battle maps you win the war.  Winning battle maps gives each player "X" perks and winning Wars gives each player "X" more perks as a multiplier for time played.  I mean who cares about a star next to your name?  I don't.    

One problem I can see is everyone would be at the same place (capture points).  A good idea to keep the fight over a city or strat, though.  :aok  

We need more refineries, factories and some shipyards and railyards too.  Have them spread out between all the bases and maybe even put a maproom in the center of every one - all made to be captured.   :banana:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »
depends on how many spyiez switch sides from map to map...  :lol

To be honest, I'm of the mind that those who think there's never been changes made to how AH is designed
either haven't payed attention or haven't been here to see them. Seriously, did they miss HTs strat changes?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,338562.0.html

This game has seen years of refinement. There comes a point where change is being requested for change
sake, completely ignoring the human/player factor. The tempo and fun of this game is very much in the player's
hands. It's quite a good design with plenty of thought put into it. The mains are set up for three nationality
neutral 'chess piece' countries where players can fly any model aircraft (thereby discouraging one side being
more popular than another based on a specific plane model popularity), perk cost is affected by whether a
side is an underdog or not, furballers can furball, boom and zoomers can boom and zoom, Pattons and Rommels
can tank to their heart's content, fleet admirals can beach a fleet for the more 'important' invasions, PT boats
are available for McHale's navy, B-29s can fly high alt, long range strat runs and German rocket planes can
intercept.

I'm guessing some are getting bored and have forgotten how to address that within the game as it is.  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:29:26 PM by Arlo »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
yup....and can you imagine the epic battles street to street?....wuuuf.

... :huh

...Alright then.  I am sure this idea will get every bit of consideration it deserves.

:aok

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
Not really. It's become obvious if you don't feel free to sneek(use strategy) around the map with your attack group to surprise your target. And we all know it will be undefended. Then everyone retreats into a polite self censoring community politically correct defensive posture(steady state). Now we attack fields openly while hiding in a cloud of birds milling about generally getting nothing accomplished while we avoid being called dirty names like NOEer and hoardling. We are very polite and boring at the moment.

We have reduced ourselves to being afraid of peer pressure after a few years of constantly being called bad names for NOE hoard tactics so people could find sportsman gentil fights to jump into. Thank you vTards for nothing you useless tardlings even if it was fun playing whack-A-mole with you guys for the last 2 years. In retrospect I miss your constant grief and the action you generated for everyone trying to stomp you out of their collective miseries. Political correctness resulted from the pendulum swing whining for the vBoys and all NOE hoards to launch openly then gentiliee stand and fight. Boring....only a very small percentage of the human race is emotionally constituted to run to the sound of cannons. The rest will only face danger if they can sneek up behind it with a club.

So now we hide in the clouds as groups or hide in the ack as groups in polite capitulation to our long suffering fair gentil play crying brethren. We is becoming tame and arcadish due to not wanting to be labeled and stigmatized by our previously crying peers. In so we are doing a disservice to new younger players by making them think hiding in hoards and stomping on smaller numbers of players is normative rather than a cyclic swing in competing game play philosophies. At least the vTards kept dusting themselves off after each defeat and kept coming back at us generating more combat by their refusal to be beaten down no matter how lame many were as individual fighters.

Until this current politically correct borg period is over, we might as well call the DA our LWMA and all log into there each night. Then everyone line up for polite knights of the sky dueling ladder beat downs dominated by the muppets and a hand full of their peers. In retrospect we would all probably up at furball lake in late war monsters and shoot each other in the back at very high speed until the current MA tides changes. Free the NOE Evil Hoards. At least they generated uncertainty and action to saddle up and fight against.
geez Bustr, go outside and get some fresh air...sunlight will do you some good. you're spouting the same stuff you been spouting for at least 3 years. sounds like ah is your life and someone is pooping in your livelyhood.

sitting in your chair at home grieving about the way things used to be or how nobody wants to play your way, is useless. come up with some ideas, see how many people you can motivate, post some mishunz and go for it. nothing is stopping you from getting a gang together and hitting undefended bases...doesn't have to be an "noe raid", 20k is a good alt to run a raid at. to hell with anyone who says it's "lame horde" behavior, they can sit in the corner and twirl their beenies. but you have to understand one thing, you can't control how everyone else wants to "fight the war".
jarhed  

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
One problem I can see is everyone would be at the same place (capture points).  A good idea to keep the fight over a city or strat, though.  :aok  

We need more refineries, factories and some shipyards and railyards too.  Have them spread out between all the bases and maybe even put a maproom in the center of every one - all made to be captured.   :banana:

the map drawn is just for visual..imagine the capture points spread at the same distance as a spawn to spawn in game as we have it.  The city would be sectors wide with capture points in between.  The strats would be just as big as the modeled ones now with multiple manable flak towers maybe more spread out or randomly placed on the map.  Yes train yards should be there as well. 

Then next map is a midway inspired map that is only cv based.  This would be fun to isolate and mix up the games assets. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:52:17 PM by ToeTag »