Author Topic: The Decline of the Forums  (Read 5601 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The Decline of the Forums
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
Eh, it may have been going on longer than it shoulda but I reckon you're a good sort
once things get sorted out. Kinda like he friendships that came out of fistfights that
only went so far as to blacken some eyes (ok and maybe jettisoned a tooth or two).

jettisoned a tooth or two....... :rofl

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
I think it depends on the subject and the op's need for attention. There's still some
relevant material being posted. For instance, I posted my suggestion for plane
additions based on not just my picks but other players in the wishlist sub-forum:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Reviews were mixed.  :)

That's really nice Arlo  :aok

But you are correct - there used to be a lot more "professional" discussion on these boards, about history, technical plane details, aerodynamics and air combat tactics. Some of it slowed down because those who are interested in this have been around these boards for 10 years now and read it all and there are not enough new players to revive/repeat these discussions. In addition you have to remember that not all AH players are nerds like some of us.

Perhaps also people used to just play previously, without playing to get 'something' out of it like reputation or status. Another discouragement from helping people. Look how VolderMidway turned out  :lol

I guess I will take the blame........ :o

cant help but speak my mind.

whether its here or in person. :aok

Wasn't directed at you Brother Ink. You're a good sort.  :salute

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »
I don't believe anything has changed other than the turnover of players.  Having been around a while what I've noticed is the same questions get asked over and over.  Each new wave of players asks the same old stuff, except it's not old for them.   

If you've been around a while you've seen numerous latest and greatest players, latest and greatest squads and self proclaimed legends.  It's the same whines about gameplay, aircraft etc.

For the folks who stick around it becomes a question of how much you want to repeat yourself or participate in the same old discussions such as the one linked in your op.

As long as folks are having fun, I guess it's all good.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
The forums are declining since 2008.

Now look at Zack's registration date.

Coincidence?

I think not....    :noid
:rofl

<S> shida,
Seems to be same old, same old in the Forums.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
The analogy is two guys having a vocal and "juicy" argument in the middle of the street and an interesting poster about the innerworking of some machine hanging on a dark corner of the street - of course the arguing pair will get a lot more attention than the poster from the random people passing by... :)

But you are correct - there used to be a lot more "professional" discussion on these boards, about history, technical plane details, aerodynamics and air combat tactics. Some of it slowed down because those who are interested in this have been around these boards for 10 years now and read it all and there are not enough new players to revive/repeat these discussions. In addition you have to remember that not all AH players are nerds like some of us.

Thats one of the reason why I haven't been doing many cartoons. The boards have become very much the "same old stuff". How many ways can you draw a cartoon about two guys going "DID SO!" "DID NOT!"  :devil

I also blame the loss of the "good discussions" about planes, tactics and WWII on the new player. Most of the new players are gamers looking for another game to play. Sure we get some "history" types now and then but no where near the numbers of gamers. Gamers are more interested in the "game", how to win, and if there are any "codes" available  :rolleyes: They don't care about the history, or tactics, how how such and such a plane should fly/handle. They pick the biggest baddest and go for it.

The boards, like the game is dieing a slow death.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
This thread makes me wonder:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,349796.390.html

3992 views and 397 replies so far.

I post the original pilot's notes of the Westland Whirlwind (it's just an example (oh yeah, and a plug)):

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,313538.msg4621051.html#msg4621051

...and not one reply.

Is this forum now simply a soap opera for grown men, flaming, griefing, mocking and judging others? More smack talk than 1,000 Muhammad Alis locked in a cupboard! Is no one interested in aircraft or ACM anymore?

:frown:

You gotta admit, the swim is catchy! :banana:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »

Thats one of the reason why I haven't been doing many cartoons. The boards have become very much the "same old stuff". How many ways can you draw a cartoon about two guys going "DID SO!" "DID NOT!"  :devil

I also blame the loss of the "good discussions" about planes, tactics and WWII on the new player. Most of the new players are gamers looking for another game to play. Sure we get some "history" types now and then but no where near the numbers of gamers. Gamers are more interested in the "game", how to win, and if there are any "codes" available  :rolleyes: They don't care about the history, or tactics, how how such and such a plane should fly/handle. They pick the biggest baddest and go for it.

The boards, like the game is dieing a slow death.

I disagree I don't see the game or the boards dieing. This game has been around for a long time I still see people in it I remember from Air Warrior and Warbirds. I've been in AH for nearly 12 years now and for most of those years I keep reading about the death of AH. Yet every year it is still here. People come and go, people come and stay, people come and go and come back. Look at the resurgence of the 56th FG as proof. As long as HTC continues to add and improve I'll be here, probably longer than my eyesight holds out. Every year to year and a half there's a new crop of high intensity BBS personalities. They think they have to post in every thread and every thought they have no matter how interesting or uninteresting must be shared with the whole community. Occasionally people that know better do or say something they wish they hadn't in the game or on the boards. Occasionally people get involved in a purse fight so intense it makes all participants look foolish. It really doesn't matter because within a couple of days there will be a fresh steaming pile for everyone to sniff point at and argue over. The current combatants and objects of everyone's attention will be forgotten so energy can be spent on the newest bit of AH drama. This game these boards and all this crap isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
I disagree I don't see the game or the boards dieing. This game has been around for a long time I still see people in it I remember from Air Warrior and Warbirds. I've been in AH for nearly 12 years now and for most of those years I keep reading about the death of AH. Yet every year it is still here. People come and go, people come and stay, people come and go and come back. Look at the resurgence of the 56th FG as proof. As long as HTC continues to add and improve I'll be here, probably longer than my eyesight holds out. Every year to year and a half there's a new crop of high intensity BBS personalities. They think they have to post in every thread and every thought they have no matter how interesting or uninteresting must be shared with the whole community. Occasionally people that know better do or say something they wish they hadn't in the game or on the boards. Occasionally people get involved in a purse fight so intense it makes all participants look foolish. It really doesn't matter because within a couple of days there will be a fresh steaming pile for everyone to sniff point at and argue over. The current combatants and objects of everyone's attention will be forgotten so energy can be spent on the newest bit of AH drama. This game these boards and all this crap isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  :D

Werd.

Every morning I get up and check the price of Scotch and Aviation fuel.  Neither are getting cheaper.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
I finished moving my office, I'll be back to contributing my 2-cents 5-6hours a day, 5-days a week, real soon.  :o

Werd.

Every morning I get up and check the price of Scotch and Aviation fuel.  Neither are getting cheaper.

If you got 50-grand lyeing around in gas money, like maybe in a drawer somewhere, I know where there's a jet capable of mach 0.9 that we can go take up and fly around the landing pattern... maybe twice....
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
I disagree I don't see the game or the boards dieing. This game has been around for a long time I still see people in it I remember from Air Warrior and Warbirds. I've been in AH for nearly 12 years now and for most of those years I keep reading about the death of AH. Yet every year it is still here. People come and go, people come and stay, people come and go and come back. Look at the resurgence of the 56th FG as proof. As long as HTC continues to add and improve I'll be here, probably longer than my eyesight holds out. Every year to year and a half there's a new crop of high intensity BBS personalities. They think they have to post in every thread and every thought they have no matter how interesting or uninteresting must be shared with the whole community. Occasionally people that know better do or say something they wish they hadn't in the game or on the boards. Occasionally people get involved in a purse fight so intense it makes all participants look foolish. It really doesn't matter because within a couple of days there will be a fresh steaming pile for everyone to sniff point at and argue over. The current combatants and objects of everyone's attention will be forgotten so energy can be spent on the newest bit of AH drama. This game these boards and all this crap isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Agreed.

I'm still having fun.

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
Quote from 2003 that I responded to then.  Same old same old.
Originally posted by beet1e
"MuckMAW. It's easy to understand.  There is a huge swathe in this community that has no interest in WW2, no interest in learning ACM (which is why you see all the HO) and who just want to pummel a fire button and make stuff go boom. The Spit and LA7 are the easymode planes. P51 is a good survivalist plane if not quite as easy, but still easy enough. Just as folks can't be bothered to spend more than 5 minutes to get to a fight, so are they victims from their own lack of attention span when it comes to learning new ideas/planes. So instead, they'll just choose an easymode ride.

Do not confuse the fact that these oft chosen planes feature so prominently in the obituaries with the reason why they are chosen in the first place. More of them get killed because so many idiots fly them. Look at the kill stats for any pilot ranked in the top 200. In most cases the P51, Spit ix and LA7 will be in the top 5 in his list of fighter kills."

Sound familiar Fugi? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
<S> Shida

Yeah man the forums are a joke .. there is some good info for sure but mostly 12 year olds or 40 year olds acting like 12 year olds puffing theirs chests.  I must admit I rarely post due to the fact that I know a majority of the replies are going to be nothing but BS smack talking attention seeking bananas that thrive on sabotaging all the good within a thread that may well be informative.

I think there should be more moderators that just delete posts should they sway off topic into personal abuse.  Its unacceptable behaviour ...

Am now awaiting a 12yo to reply to this to call me names and throw stones ..   :bolt:

The DA is the same now .. I remember years ago you could go in there and meet up with people and learn/teach, sure there was the odd idiot but generally people wanted to learn acm.  Yesterday I was in there trying to fight a guy and had 4 trying to pick me from both countries.  When I merely asked guys can I please fight this guy 1v1 I got a "whaaa .. go cry somewhere else".  Simply requesting some time you get abuse.

It would be amazing if somehow there could be two arenas where the kids could go and do their HOing picking BS but also have an arena where only the serious, interested guys could go to duel, no perk planes, no 25k temps screaming down and picking you on takeoff blah blah .. I know a pipe dream but it would be nice to be able to go to a place where you know the other guy is as interested as you in a GOOD fight.

Sorry may be a little off topic :P

<S>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:04:05 PM by NikonGuy »
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
"Exactly what most of them are. Ali was nothing but talk and a whole lot of suck. Think he wouldve been known without that runny mouth he had? NOPE."

you must not have watched many of his fights.I did growing up, he was amazing.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
Quote from 2003 that I responded to then.  Same old same old.
Originally posted by beet1e
"MuckMAW. It's easy to understand.  There is a huge swathe in this community that has no interest in WW2, no interest in learning ACM (which is why you see all the HO) and who just want to pummel a fire button and make stuff go boom. The Spit and LA7 are the easymode planes. P51 is a good survivalist plane if not quite as easy, but still easy enough. Just as folks can't be bothered to spend more than 5 minutes to get to a fight, so are they victims from their own lack of attention span when it comes to learning new ideas/planes. So instead, they'll just choose an easymode ride.

Do not confuse the fact that these oft chosen planes feature so prominently in the obituaries with the reason why they are chosen in the first place. More of them get killed because so many idiots fly them. Look at the kill stats for any pilot ranked in the top 200. In most cases the P51, Spit ix and LA7 will be in the top 5 in his list of fighter kills."

Sound familiar Fugi? :)

Certainly does, and bettle hasn't been seen in years.

Those of us who stay are the hard core players. We play for the fights and even if we only find one or two a night it is what brings us back because its enough. We can find fun in the many things available in this game.

The problem is we are quickly approaching the population/kd numbers we had 13 years ago. Of those numbers from years ago the vast majority where hard core/ history type players. You flew and fought looking to beat guys like wldthing, bettle, blumax, and many others. At least that was how I went into it. They weren't my "heros" but I certainly wanted to get good enough to beat them.

Today the vast majority are players who look toward running in hordes to grab bases and win the war as quick as they can.... or at least before mommy comes in and tells them its time for bed  :neener: These players get bored doing the same NOE missions time after time and go looking for the "next best thing" in gaming. I'd be willing to bet the turn over of players these day is pretty high. Players just aren't staying like they use to.

My son is a hard core gamer. He has all the game systems, all the most popular games and will use his vacation time to run marathon gaming sessions to beat a new game in as few sittings as possible. I've asked him to look at Aces High and tell me what he thought. The only thing he liked about it was the actual fighting. Flying too a fight is a waste of "game time" flying back??? Why bother! Whats the object of the game..... just fight?  :rolleyes:

Like Fester posted in the other thread, running "grinds" to finish side quest and such is an attractive option for these players, there is an END GAME. Fighting doesn't end, there is always another fight. To a gamer there is no end game. So fighting isn't that attractive to a gamer. Capture a base... end game. Win the war.... end game.

Why do you think COD and WoW have "new updates" with these big changes, new worlds, different eras, different weapons? Because they KNOW the players will get bored and move on. If they bring out the new stuff often enough they can keep them happy and playing. Unfortunately that is how todays gamers are. That is the gaming world they were brought up in and it is how they are "trained".

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and will be here until they close the doors.... just like Air Warrior (they said that one wouldn't die too). I thing the reason the numbers are dropping as slow as they are is because of the awesome people at HTC. They have put out one heck of a product, I just don't think it is enough to KEEP todays players on board.