Author Topic: The Decline of the Forums  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Decline of the Forums
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
Midway, you are stuck in a recursive state of mind. You box yourself in mentally and when you talk you box yourself in more, that is why you recognise talking as your own undoing, yet you have to do it to make other people understand it, which is inherently pointless. I think a good start is to recognise that its not talking that's boxing you in at all, there are plenty of good talkers out there on this forum who do well with it, its how you perceive what your talking does. If you think your talking is your undoing, it will be your undoing because, you will look for and seek your own undoing in it.

Talking is fun, on occasion, as is our back and forth here. If I had not said anything your somewhat deep thinking post wouldn't be here to be appreciated and I/we wouldn't be able to learn from it.  :aok

I admit I'm still trying to figure it out as I'm not the brightest bulb in the room at the moment.  :headscratch:

Zack, a little help please.  :old:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
Talking is fun, on occasion, as is our back and forth here. If I had not said anything your somewhat deep thinking post wouldn't be here to be appreciated and I/we wouldn't be able to learn from it.  :aok

I admit I'm still trying to figure it out as I'm not the brightest bulb in the room at the moment.  :headscratch:

Zack, a little help please.  :old:

In moments like this, don't talk about it; just think about it. Externalizing things is sometimes used as a defense mechanism (quite valid as well, infact it always is a defense mechanism) but it can stop you from learning what you need to learn.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:01:43 AM by Myg »

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
FYI:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,162018.0.html

"Externalizing things is sometimes used as a defense mechanism (quite valid as well, infact it always is a defense mechanism) but it can stop you from learning what you need to learn."

Maybe that's why things haven't changed for the better?

They ignore our complaints as to the degredation of the game, yet they give out about our degredation? Didn't HT himself give out about the behaviour of people here recently, within the last year or so?

We understand the context of the game, and the quality of people who are seeked out to play it, but how does that explain all the kids we had here years ago and "titanic Tuesdays" as well as the "broz" and "trolls" which naturally come with the more younger ecosystem?

Aces High really needs a more valid route to keep the "undesirables" out, if they really expect to keep player QA, maybe a higher price? Or some sort of photo Id on signup? <--- this really belongs in the wishlist forum.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:31:31 AM by Myg »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
I disagree, I think that for his sake; he would be better off if he wasn't seen as "something" to the community, and just seen as himself. The "village idiot" comment earlier hints towards that.

How dare you !!!!!!

The title of "Village Idiot" is mine and everyone knows I have got this title through many years of toil and strife :old:

Its a outrage and Midway has no right to my crown at all even though he is awesome :cry
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
How dare you !!!!!!

The title of "Village Idiot" is mine and everyone knows I have got this title through many years of toil and strife :old:

Its a outrage and Midway has no right to my crown at all even though he is awesome :cry

Well, I hope you can throw me in with that lot when HT gets a hold of me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
He will never get hold of you because you are awesome :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »
Zack doesn't know how to check his 6 :old:
that's how he got a tater in his arse :neener:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
is it just me or is zack and midway melding

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
is it just me or is zack and midway melding

Zack is awesomer. :old:
I am but a cheap imitation of his prowess. :old:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
FYI:

That was a damn fine thread, a few insults which Skuzzy found the need to mod, but overall the quality of the discussion is LIGHT years ahead of what has some to be the norm now...this post by the venerable Toad exemplifies a decade-old debate (he refers to a map which Hitech felt harmed overall gameplay...it had a furball isl;and in the middle, which looks quite similar to the DA Lake)
I think the issue is pretty clearly defined now that we have a FighterTown in the MA.

There can be absolutely no doubt that players in FT do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay model of the MA.  Players in the FT area are no factor in winning the war. Further, you don't see players in FT posting the non-stop "join my mission" stuff.

OTOH, it seems that the idea of players just "mindlessly furballing" in the FT is anathema to some of the base capture crowd.

It's been pointed out several times that the map can be reset and the war "won" without any bases in FT changing hands.

So why can't the Capture/Reset crowd focus on that aspect of MA gameplay and leave FT out of it?

I'm a furballer; cheerfully admit it. I think this map is the best thing to happen to AH gameplay in (at the minimum) last two years.

The Capture/Reset crowd has a huge 512x512 map to wage their war upon, to enjoy their particular version of gameplay. If they leave FT alone, they do not affect the Furball gameplay in any fashion.

The Furball crowd has a tiny area on that map in which to enjoy their favorite sport. They do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay in any fashion.

By definition, the Furball crowd, confined to a tiny, nearly inaccessible area on the map cannot "grief" the Capture/Reset players.

The converse is not true. The Capture/Reset crowd can and does "grief" the Furball players.

All that is required is for the Capture/Reset players to have some respect for people that choose to furball. That is the crux of the issue.

As for finiding 1v1's, that is precisely what the DA is for. The FT area is for taking any fight that comes your way. Odds don't matter. Plane types don't matter. Only the FIGHT matters. Obviously it's not for everyone. I personally find it the most exciting AH gameplay available. I generally favor the F4F; landing two kills in it after combat in that situation is much more satisfactory than landing 10 kills in a late war plane in the MA or in FT itself.

I go for the challenge. I get shot down a lot. But if you want to improve SA, improve your lead turns, your gunnery, your tactics.... it's the place to go because the action is non-stop.

Sure, there are the players that stay up high using some high performance plane as their crutch and just cherry pick the low fights. There are some elements of the MA, some personality types that will always be with us.

But if you're willing to hang it all out... there's nothing close.

I love it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
FYI:

It hasn't changed because it's the phenomenon of the intardnet.  You can say what you want, to whomever you want, for whatever reason you want.  Decorum goes flying out the door
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
I suppose my talking too often is a big part of being misinterpreted.
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
One thing that has changed.  We've never had a village idiot on these boards with such stamina as the one we have now.

In that regard there is little point in trying to start any kind of conversation as they tend to end up in the same place every time regardless of the original topic.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters