Author Topic: side-switching abuse  (Read 6833 times)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
Re: side-switching abuse
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
The basic problem is the flawed strats retreat concept.

That may be so, but that doesn't address the crux of my issue with what the nit player did. Granted that I'm being idealistic here, but I'd like there to be fair play. Joining one side in order to sabotage it is pretty much the opposite of fair play in my book. And "cheating" of this sort has recently been done in other ways than the one I referenced. I don't want to spell out what happened, though: I've read the thread and some of the posters would think that what was done was a really good idea and, sadly, might emulate it.

Am I being unrealistic here to hope that the great majority of people playing the game have an ethical sense beyond "if I can do it, it's okay"? Maybe so. And, if so, that's sad, too.

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I'd still like the 12 (or whatever it is) hour side-switching rule extended to three days. It would definitely discourage anyone loyal enough to their side to sabotage the opposition via side-switching. And I guess I just don't get it why being able to be on any side at relatively short notice is such a precious thing. Some have said they need that flexibility in order to be where the action is (said action changes on an hourly basis, btw). I've never ever been unable to find a fight when I wanted one. Lol, except in Midwar!

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
IIf it was such a HUGE deal then why didn't one of you jump sides and kill the goon/troops? 

1) Because we didn't know someone would be unethical enough to do what he did until it had actually happened. All we saw was his icon headed for the flattened town, and warned him off (as we had done others, successfully, earlier).
2) Once the base had been taken, there was definitely talk about one or more of us switching to nit and retaking the base. But it was just talk. What the nit player had done was morally wrong, and we didn't want to emulate his behavior. What can't you understand about that?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
And I guess I just don't get it why being able to be on any side at relatively short notice is such a precious thing.

It is no less precious then over blown and over dramatic loyalty to a cartoon chess piece and winning a cartoon war.  :)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:08 PM »
ok let's see the special events and fso.  log in, cant switch sides at all.  cant even up at all if you are late.  fly for 1 hour and if you die, your plane gets damged, pw then you cant up another plane.  then you must wait days or weeks to join another sortie versus unlimited deaths and 12 hour switch for the MA.

it doesnt make sense. I sense it's something else.

semp
Unlimited deaths isn't me anymore. I've spent plenty of time in the MA. If you get one sortie a week you better make it a good one. There came a point where I didn't care about kills and deaths, score, perks etc. Events provide the immersion that was lacking in normal everyday gameplay. Landing your plane after a 2 hour flight with 2 bagged fighters has a sense of accomplishment to it rather than landing 20 kills in a plane in the MA.

I've been immersed down to late night/early mornings on Teamspeak, drawing up plans for the coming frame's planes to take...tossing out tons of possible plans just to find that "one" that should work. It's a great feeling to watch the plan take shape and be successful.

So yes, while the disappointing 12 hour rule limits the fun I was able to have in the MA, I have found a new fun aspect of the game...along with 300 of my friends on Friday nights.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
Unlimited deaths isn't me anymore. I've spent plenty of time in the MA. If you get one sortie a week you better make it a good one. There came a point where I didn't care about kills and deaths, score, perks etc. Events provide the immersion that was lacking in normal everyday gameplay. Landing your plane after a 2 hour flight with 2 bagged fighters has a sense of accomplishment to it rather than landing 20 kills in a plane in the MA.

I've been immersed down to late night/early mornings on Teamspeak, drawing up plans for the coming frame's planes to take...tossing out tons of possible plans just to find that "one" that should work. It's a great feeling to watch the plan take shape and be successful.

So yes, while the disappointing 12 hour rule limits the fun I was able to have in the MA, I have found a new fun aspect of the game...along with 300 of my friends on Friday nights.

dont disagree with your idea of fun.  however not all 300 of your friends play only fso.  I for one play fso as often as i can when my work schedule allows.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
1) Because we didn't know someone would be unethical enough to do what he did until it had actually happened. All we saw was his icon headed for the flattened town, and warned him off (as we had done others, successfully, earlier).
2) Once the base had been taken, there was definitely talk about one or more of us switching to nit and retaking the base. But it was just talk. What the nit player had done was morally wrong, and we didn't want to emulate his behavior. What can't you understand about that?
Oh I understand you completely.  I think you may have missed the point I was making but you really didn't want a debate - you just wanted to complain.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
dont disagree with your idea of fun.  however not all 300 of your friends play only fso.  I for one play fso as often as i can when my work schedule allows.

semp
Then you ought to know how it feels to be immersed.

Keep in mind I said one of the reasons in my OP.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
Howabout "progressive" switching ?
First switch - 1 hour duration.
Second switch - 2 hour duration.
Third switch - 4 hour duration.
Fourth switch - 8 hour duration.

just a thought   :old:

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
Howabout "progressive" switching ?
First switch - 1 hour duration.
Second switch - 2 hour duration.
Third switch - 4 hour duration.
Fourth switch - 8 hour duration.

just a thought   :old:

LtngRydr

:aok :aok

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:01:36 PM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21:10 AM »
And I guess I just don't get it why being able to be on any side at relatively short notice is such a precious thing. Some have said they need that flexibility in order to be where the action is (said action changes on an hourly basis, btw). I've never ever been unable to find a fight when I wanted one.

Some people can only play at off-peak hours where there are a very low number of players on, and not having that flexibility can totally ruin your chances of getting even a few good fights

I guess some of us just don't get why winning or losing a video game 'war' that will start all over again in 3 minutes when the map changes is such an important thing...like, who cares if someone switches sides to do something shady like you are reporting in the OP? For every 1 person you are noticing that abuses the system like this, there are 5 more using extra accounts or out-of-game voice com programs to screw with your precious war effort. It's completely meaningless.

the 12 hour side switch rule has driven players away from the game, causing them to unsubscribe and harming Aces High (which is not overly blessed with a huge playerbase to begin with)

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:15 AM »
Some people can only play at off-peak hours where there are a very low number of players on, and not having that flexibility can totally ruin your chances of getting even a few good fights

I guess some of us just don't get why winning or losing a video game 'war' that will start all over again in 3 minutes when the map changes is such an important thing...like, who cares if someone switches sides to do something shady like you are reporting in the OP? For every 1 person you are noticing that abuses the system like this, there are 5 more using extra accounts or out-of-game voice com programs to screw with your precious war effort. It's completely meaningless.

the 12 hour side switch rule has driven players away from the game, causing them to unsubscribe and harming Aces High (which is not overly blessed with a huge playerbase to begin with)

Aaaah, what would you know? You're just a mindless spy

And plus, what makes you think people really want the 12 hour rule reduced. anyway?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,339795.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,340444.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,329267.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,333021.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,335848.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,318782.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,319444.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,321084.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,327236.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,324359.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,320163.0.html

:noid
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »
That may be so, but that doesn't address the crux of my issue with what the nit player did. Granted that I'm being idealistic here, but I'd like there to be fair play. Joining one side in order to sabotage it is pretty much the opposite of fair play in my book. And "cheating" of this sort has recently been done in other ways than the one I referenced. I don't want to spell out what happened, though: I've read the thread and some of the posters would think that what was done was a really good idea and, sadly, might emulate it.

Am I being unrealistic here to hope that the great majority of people playing the game have an ethical sense beyond "if I can do it, it's okay"? Maybe so. And, if so, that's sad, too.

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I'd still like the 12 (or whatever it is) hour side-switching rule extended to three days. It would definitely discourage anyone loyal enough to their side to sabotage the opposition via side-switching. And I guess I just don't get it why being able to be on any side at relatively short notice is such a precious thing. Some have said they need that flexibility in order to be where the action is (said action changes on an hourly basis, btw). I've never ever been unable to find a fight when I wanted one. Lol, except in Midwar!

Lighten up Francis, there is so much spying & "unethical" (lmao at the instance you are applying it to) play what do you want to do? Cleanse the game of all of it? Better start in your own backyard bishes side first, then...

You don't get it, so I'll help you out, go and fly against the horde and do it for a whole tour, then come back here and whine so more if you still desire to, I doubt you will. Do you think he was just slightly fed up with your horde...?

Seriously, unethical??? He played you at your own game and beat you, and now all you can do is whine. He didn't cheat, he didn't spy, he didn't tell someone where a CV is that there would be no way of knowing...

What is your in-game name?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:13:07 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
It's been discussed many times.  Perhaps HTC could take a new approach to switching sides.  Suppose instead of the current process for switching sides, the entire process was altered so that any player could elect to switch sides at any time, as often as they wanted.  But instead of picking the side you switched to, you were only presented with one option, a change sides button.  When you clicked on that button.  The system looked at the balance of numbers on each side, if all sides were within say 10% of each other, You stayed on your current side.  If one side was lopsided , your side had larger numbers than either of the other two sides, than you are placed onto the side with the fewest numbers.  In other words, you don't get to pick the side, the system does.  You always have the option of not clicking on the change side button.  You could click on the button as often as you want, the system decides what side you will be placed on based on the current numbers on each side.

This would allow players that want to switch sides to balance numbers to do so.  This would allow players that want to remain loyal to a side to do so.
This would help limit spying because a player could not change sides unless the numbers on each side were unbalanced and the potential spy would may not end up on the side he wanted to spy on.  Players that wanted to remain on a side to remain in a squad could do so, by not selecting the change side option.

First, their are squads (eh, hem, the AK's) that would find that a challenge.  We rotate sides each month like clockwork.  This side switch button would potentially separate our squad causing a most outrageous whine...

How would you propose that be handled?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
When HTC finally kill off the 12 hour rule I am going to pee on it's grave and utter the words;

"Goodbye you bastard"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez