Author Topic: Pilot Wounds BS  (Read 2968 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Pilot Wounds BS
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 07:24:24 AM »
A direct hit from a cannon anywhere on the pilot's body wouldn't result in a
'pilot wound'. It would result in a 'pilot dead'.

A pilot is probably not going to get a "direct hit".  Remember, in many cases the wound was not caused by the round directly but rather the shrapnel the round caused once it impacted the aircraft.  Same goes for FMJ rounds, though to a lesser extent.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
Lusche is correct the 1200 was a close aprox. if you want to see for yourself just use the dot target command and move it to the various distances. IIRC the rounds travel slightly further at higher alts as air density is factored in.

This applies to all rounds upto and including the 30mm,once you get to 37mm it's a different story.

:salute

Ahhh, Ok. Thank you Morf & Lusche. If iirc the instance correctly, it was .50's that killed me at ~1500. Of course it didn't help my cause to have x 6 of them blasting away at me...

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:24 AM »
Wounds:

1. On airplanes, there is not much protecting you. The Engine, a bit of armored glass, a bit of plating behind your head. Think about the fack that the rounds would just about have to come in perpendicular to the armor for it to work. I have seen a guy hit in the butt by a 30mm that did not arm, took his leg right off at the hip. If it had armed, he would have disappeared. So, any pilot wound I survive, I chalk it up to luck. If you were a real person in the airplane, the first pings would probably freak you out enough to quit pressing the attack.

2. THE ONE I DEPLORE: Tanks used to get pilot wounds. Not anymore. I would like the ability to kill or wound a human in the commanders position. I get very annoyed being pilot wounded while in an IL-2 by a pintle gun. Especially when I am raining 37mm onto the turret at the same time. If there were really a "person", the flying fragments would certainly wound them or damage the pintle gun. It would be great if the guy was up in the commander position during a strafing and was "killed" making the gun sight the only available option for tank views, unless of course the guy was smart enough to dive into the hatch. 

^^^^^ This and tanks killing airplanes are the two most gamey features, to me.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »
2. THE ONE I DEPLORE: Tanks used to get pilot wounds. Not anymore.

When was that?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman