Author Topic: American Mobile Artillery peice...  (Read 984 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: American Mobile Artillery peice...
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Some mobile or towable artillary would be fun with land mode.  The M4 may be capable but its been in game quite awhile and whatever the key is to shelling accurately from extreme distance is, its not common knowledge, so it doesn't get used that way.  Most players know or can quickly be told how to jump in an 8" and use land mode. The player gets a set of sweet binoculars to spot hits when line of sight is available to target.

They would be easy targets for straffing or rockets, but so are a bunch of existing GVs or field gun positions and they get used a lot.  If they were just way too easy to spot and kill, remove the icon or the tracer and/or just have a muzzleflash/smoke when fired.

Bottom line is it would be new, interesting and something that fits, so thumbs up.

My guess is that as soon as someone discovers how hard it is to be effective with shelling that they will stop trying (i.e. hangar queen). Then this becomes the "big gun," which is what the kiddies want every time. A Priest does have a 105mm, which is a very big gun. It is limited in the amount of ammo it can carry and it can be easily killed. So, after you get past the "big gun" mindset it doesn't have much to offer other than historical value. I would like to see it added for scenarios, but to argue we need it based on its artillery capabilities is invalid.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
And this has been reported as a bug, and reported by players like WallEye before:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,351385.msg4645862.html#msg4645862

It's pretty funny when all you do is drop the radar from 8k and 'they' know exactly who is calling and what's about to happen to the rest of the field.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »

Also I talked to Lyric last time we went through this. All he says is that you shell bases from more than 6K. He has not confirmed 10K,

Beyond 6K yes. :aok Now conformation needed for 10K???? :headscratch: :headscratch:
The answer is still yes.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
30 HE shells fired successfully at objects raise your rank in that sub category by the hundreds. Same as one base capture (because less than 20% of players had any)

All sub scores are basically following an exponential curve. And thus at the bottom of the barrel even small increase in 'success' (k/d, hit%, captures, whatever) will give you mighty leaps in rank, but the higher your sub rank gets, the more 'success' is required for even tiny gains in rank.

And your total GV rank is simply determined by the sum of your sub ranks. That's why you can't get to the top then half of your sub ranks have horrible scores. You have to do reasonable well in most (if not all of them) to get a 'good' total rank.
Had no idea the rest of the players are performing so poorly. I would have figured about 40% to have at least one base capture.

So basically I should be shooting for upper 200s with kills alone?

Beyond 6K yes. :aok Now conformation needed for 10K???? :headscratch: :headscratch:
The answer is still yes.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. Last question; does he require line of sight on a target? If so, even a 105mm would be worth adding simply for the land gunner mode.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

The M4 may be capable but its been in game quite awhile and whatever the key is to shelling accurately from extreme distance is,its not common knowledge , so it doesn't get used that way. 

Tank-Ace this is your answer.

Chalenge could post a video of how it is done & you still won't know how he is doing it. All you will see in the text buffer is things being blown up Think out of the box my friend everything you need to do it is provided by HTC no tricks no cheating none of that.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
And final post in reply. . . you will not get land gunner mode in any vehicle. On a moving ship is one thing. A howitzer is completely different. To think that you would is a complete fantasy.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. Last question; does he require line of sight on a target?

He posted a picture what do you think?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
And you can see the flames and smoke of what used to be the radar. Hitting the tower is one thing, since you can see it above the trees, and simply shoot the tower.

Also challenge, I wouldn't be surprised if we got land gunner mode for a howitzer. Not one bit.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »
I've vouched for the M7 Priest before.  The 12,000 yard range (iirc) of the 105mm would put it in range of any town that is spawned near.  Give it the "click the map" ability to be able to land hits.  Oh, and this would be a perfect time time to allow the Storch to spawn to away gv spawn points.   :aok
  Or fly to the spawn in less time than it takes to drive.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
And you can see the flames and smoke of what used to be the radar. Hitting the tower is one thing, since you can see it above the trees, and simply shoot the tower.

Well done :aok 
So what else has every Vbase have in common?
If you can't figure it out now you never will.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:49 AM »
Well done :aok 
So what else has every Vbase have in common?
If you can't figure it out now you never will.

You could easily use some basic trig to hit the other structures, provided you have an exact range. But that's the kicker, since minutes and seconds of degrees matter at long range.

And you couldn't use the range in the gun sight, even if you were close enough to see the radar tower from the gunner position, since that would only give an apparent range, not true range.

I'm not questioning the theoretical possibility of it; I never have. What I question is the practicality given the measurement error involved.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »
Question for Chalenge: Why are you against the further development of the game? Isn't the whole point to add combat and improve the arsenal to expand into new things?

Just because you have the ability to take down a base in X minutes with an M4 doesn't mean its faster than getting some buddies in P-47's and bombing/strafing it.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 05:17:02 PM »
what skorpx said
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars