Author Topic: American Mobile Artillery peice...  (Read 991 times)

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
American Mobile Artillery peice...
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
my wish is for the American SPG M12 and/or the M7 priest
both served in WW2 the M12 having a M1918M1 155mm cannon and the M7 having a 105

here are stats from wiki:
M12
Designed   1942

Number built   100

Variants   Cargo Carrier M30

Specifications
Weight   26 tons
Length   6.73 m
Width   2.67 m
Height   2.7 m
Crew   6 (Commander, driver, (4x) gun crew)
Main armament   155mm M1917/18 M1 gun 10 rounds

Secondary armament   .50cal Browning M2 machinegun

Engine   Wright (Continental) R975 EC2 340 hp

Suspension   vertical volute spring

Operational range 220 km

Speed   38 km/h (19 km/h off road)

M7 Priest

Manufacturer   American Locomotive Company (M7) Pressed Steel Car (M7, M7B1) Federal Machine and Welder (M7B2)

Produced   April 1942–1945[1]

Number built   M7: 3,490 M7B1: 826 M7B2: 127

Variants   M7, M7B1, M7B2

Specifications

Weight   50,640 lb (22.97 metric tons)

Length   19 ft 9 in (6.02 m)

Width   9 ft 5 in (2.87 m) with sandshields

Height   8 ft 4 in (2.54 m) 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m) over AA machine gun

Crew   5, 7

Armor   12-62 mm

Main armament   105 mm M1/M2 Howitzer 69 rounds

Secondary armament   1 x 0.5 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine gun 300 rounds

Engine   Continental R-975 C1 400 or 340 hp (298 or 254 kW)

Suspension   Vertical volute spring

Operational range   120 mi (193 km)

Speed   24 mph (39 km/h) on road 15 mph (24 km/h) off road

I think they could be used against towns or bases and of course the M12 would be a stellar performer at killing the Big cats that we have now

Fire away
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:58:09 PM by Eric19 »
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
Re: American Mobile Artillery peice...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
+1 to any artillery.

*Waits until Tank-Ace comes in and tries to shove his idea down everyone's throat because he thinks his is better no matter what.*

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »
+1 to any artillery.

*Waits until Tank-Ace comes in and tries to shove his idea down everyone's throat because he thinks his is better no matter what.*

Agreed, on both points.

Tinkles  

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:12:27 AM »
+1. Hummel and Wespe at some point as well.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
I've vouched for the M7 Priest before.  The 12,000 yard range (iirc) of the 105mm would put it in range of any town that is spawned near.  Give it the "click the map" ability to be able to land hits.  Oh, and this would be a perfect time time to allow the Storch to spawn to away gv spawn points.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline No9Squadron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
I would suggest the best option is the 5.5 inch towed gun or M7, because they were used by US, Canadian and Commonwealth forces and was towed by trucks, which are already in the game as resup.

Russian guns, I have no clue.

For Axis forces, you could say 88mm, pak40, STUGIII, Marder or Wespe, or even 21st Pzer Div gear like Belgian SPG, and you could still be arguing three years later without any mention of Japanese or Italian guns.

I think the late-war 155mm SPG would be a mistake, without the 5.5 inch or M7, besides it wasn't used by any allies except the US, whereas the 5.5 inch and the M7 is going to make a lot more people happy. The M7 also gives you "kangaroo" option.

- 5.5 inch
- 75mm abn howitzer (c47 cargo)
- M7 Priest / M7 Kangaroo
- another SPG

- STUGIII (75mm/105mm options)
- 88mm
- Pak 40
- Argue about Wespe, Hummel, Marder, Belgian SPG.

And same for Japanese/Russian/Italian. That would be the ultimate goal.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
For German vehicles, the Wespe or Hummel would be the easiest to add, as far as visual modeling goes.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
The problem with this gun is you would need five of them to reproduce the firing rate of a single M4-75, unless quite a bit of fudging was used for the firing rate. It can make ten per minute, but the rate drops to three per minute when used continuously. Even with a more powerful round the effect would be that any base it was used to kill would regenerate nearly as fast as you could take it down, unless you had very skilled gunners and forward observers that work extremely well together. If you are talking about using artillery as a target saturation weapon, then it's just a nuisance weapon (which it would be anyway in most cases) and will never be as effective as the M4.

Meanwhile, I know from my experience online that a vehicle field can be killed (including guns and barracks) in fifteen minutes by a single M4. If all you are after is the hangars, then it takes nine minutes if everything goes perfectly.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
I'm curious as to why you are so enamored of the M4. It's decent, but lacks range, and reliable BVR capabilities (not at all uncommon).

Also, the 8in guns are more effective against towns than the M4 (in practice), and there are only 9 guns being fired at most.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
nobody said you HAD to use it challenge its just a bit more......historical if you use actual Artillery pieces designed to take down buildings and what not

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
I'm curious as to why you are so enamored of the M4. It's decent, but lacks range, and reliable BVR capabilities (not at all uncommon).

Also, the 8in guns are more effective against towns than the M4 (in practice), and there are only 9 guns being fired at most.

You cannot take a CV beyond the coastal cities, for one. The M4 can shoot 10k. You don't think that's far enough?

@Eric: Actually the M4 was used as an artillery piece in WWII and Korea.

Also, an artillery piece would be killed by the first strafe it was hit with. The first time that happens you will leave it in the hangar thereafter. Thus, it is pre-defined as a hangar queen and would be wasted development time.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
challenge it is the idea of immersion and its called don't get spotted by an aircraft you can go and sit back at almost 15k yds and if your firing from say a barn or something like that it would be almost impossible to find you unless you are moving I really doubt they would be hangar queens and would add nothing to the game your the only one that has ever had resistance to this sort of thing even Tank-Ace likes the Concept but you act like theres nothing better than the M4/75
as far as anti-tank role the M12 would be better suited because of its 155mm cannon that can shoot at things beyond LOS with superb accuracy

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »
You cannot take a CV beyond the coastal cities, for one. The M4 can shoot 10k. You don't think that's far enough?
No, but a 155mm is closer to an 8" gun than it is to a 75mm. 2-3 of these firing from the moment they spawn in would certianly be more effective than your M4's, simply due to the fact that they can fire on spawn-in, and hit the town.

Second, I'm still highly skeptical of your long-range shooting. Film is best for proof. If you're unwilling to provide that (as you were last time, IIRC), take a screenshot showing both the clipboard map and your text buffer with object destroyed messages. If you refuse to do either, then I'm going to continue to consider you both a liar and a blowhard.

Also, an artillery piece would be killed by the first strafe it was hit with. The first time that happens you will leave it in the hangar thereafter. Thus, it is pre-defined as a hangar queen and would be wasted development time.

First hole in your logic is that you assume they'll be killed very quickly when you have ZERO actual information to base your crack-brained assumption off of. Based on my experience in GV's (which is considerable), their life span will not be significantly shorter on average than other GV's, due to the nature of their use. Second, you assume that aircraft will be on-station to strafe the artillery before they start firing (and do more damage than you can in twice the time). Again, false in most cases. GV's pose a greater threat to GV's than aircraft do. Third, you assume that most will leave it in the hanger after the first time they die, and hop back into your fap-mobi..... M4. Once again, false. The M4 is, quite bluntly, inferior if there is even a modicum of enemy resistance.

Many thought the TD's would be highly inferior due to the lack of a rotating turret, but the results proved that the lack of a turret has no bearing on the effectiveness of a vehicle. I think that the same type of thing is likely to occur with artillery when it is eventually added.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
Tank-ace you need to do some fact checking before you go into "crack-brained thinking" insult mode.

First off we are talking about 105mm gun OR the 155mm. I believe either one fires three rounds per minute at most but maybe the 105 is slightly faster. I suggest you ask for the 105. At that rate (3 rpm) it takes a full minute to equal one shot from an eight inch turret with three barrels. In that same time an M4 will have fourteen rounds down range. In two minutes the M4 will have the hangar dead and will be working on the second hangar. An M4 can kill five hangars (4xVH and 1xFH) in nine minutes. Actually, I have film of killing 2xManned acks 6xBarracks, 4xVH and 1xFH in nine minutes and four seconds.

Second, regardless of what Eric thinks the gun is only going to hit 11k, which is only 1k further than the M4 will shoot (and really the M4 will shoot that far, but in AH even if it does you will never see it. Also, the way things are the last time I checked, if someone is watching your round hit and they are further than 10k they will never see your rounds.

Third, the Priest will be just as easy to kill as an M18 (no top on the tank). If you want to discuss the towed artillery pieces then that's different. They die even easier.

Fourth, if you shell a base then stuff is going to explode. People will investigate what is causing it and then you're a hangar queen. Just like that.

Your 'considerable' experience in GVs doesn't hold a candle to me kid. You need to figure that out right now. You've had me pegged wrong ever since you showed up on this board and it makes you look really bad. Just saying.

Go back and see what I said about the TD's. I was right.

Now, if you think I can't provide film you have another thing coming. The problem is you missed it when I posted film previously. But, if you can't find it and still doubt my word then I suggest you look up Lyric online. I think everyone in the game considers lyric to be level individual that tells it like it is. He has not only sat right beside me while I flattened bases at 10k range, but he has brought me supplies and captured the fields I was shooting. Just ask him.

As to shelling bases flat. . . many, many Bishops witness this when I do it. Many of the really good tankers drop supplies for me because they like the results. I know you're curious and want to know how to do it but even if I post the film you won't figure it out. I can already determine that.

But, since you went into insult mode (again) you are back on my ignore list.

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »
Any thing I could tow with my jeep that could kill a tank would be great :) My jeep is very easy to kill now but that doesn't stop me from using it to kill other light vehicles. Adding something I could tow to a spot and set up a ambush from a barn or clump of trees would be awesome, for me any way :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:15:03 AM by surfinn »