Author Topic: Perk farmers  (Read 3622 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk farmers
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
As an option... You can select two guns if you prefer. Saves a little weight.
We had these discussion long time ago, but i recall something about the 3 guns being as heavy as the 2 guns (different cannon types). Can easilt be tested in the game.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »
Saying things like the Spitfire Mk I and P-40C is absurd.  Even the best players in the game have significantly reduced success in things like that.  When people talk about perk farmers they are talking about aircraft that have ENY rates well above their real level of effectiveness.  You can land a bunch of perks with things like the Spitfire Mk I and G4M1, but your perks per hour would be far, far better with the Bf109G-2 and Ki-67 and this effect is even more extreme as you get towards the MA average skill levels where the P-40C and He111 become simply free kills to most other players but some perks might be earned in a Spitfire Mk IX or Boston MK III.

Essentially when you say "Spitfire Mk I" or "P-40C" you're saying "Look at how good I am!", a "Look at me!" post in other words and not helpful at all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »
We had these discussion long time ago, but i recall something about the 3 guns being as heavy as the 2 guns (different cannon types). Can easilt be tested in the game.

2 guns instead of three saves 5lbs.

But you get about 33% more firing time, which (for a good shooter) may be a reason to prefer them.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
Saying things like the Spitfire Mk I and P-40C is absurd.  Even the best players in the game have significantly reduced success in things like that. 

Yup.

You get only 33% more perks perk kill in an ENY 40 plane like the Spit 1 over something like a ENY 30 109G-2, but on average you will have a much harder time getting the same number of kills over time. The lack of speed is one of the biggest problems.
So usually the perk gain efficiency is substantially lower.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Essentially when you say "Spitfire Mk I" or "P-40C" you're saying "Look at how good I am!", a "Look at me!" post in other words and not helpful at all.
i dont think they are trying to do that dont be so snappy there just giving input  :bhead
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:52:14 AM by Tracerfi »
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
i dont think they are trying to do that dont be so snappy there just giving input  :bhead
I don't think so.  I don't think they are so unaware of relative skill levels, capabilities and such to actually think the Spitfire Mk I and P-40C are good perk farming aircraft.  Those posts were classic "look at me" posts disguised as advice and they were bad advice.  If a new player, looking to earn perks were to follow them and grab that P-40C he'd hardly earn any perks because it is so hard to be successful in those aircraft.

The very notion of a perk farmer is a unit that has effective high perk point per time unit generation, something the Bf109s generally excel at.  Slow fighters that yield mostly assists and that require skill to survive in do not make good perk farmers.  Years ago, before the Spitfire Mk I or P-40B was added, Citabria (as I recall) set out to hit a 5/1 or 10/1 (don't recall which) K/D ratio in each fighter and the only one in which he could not do so was the C.202.  Too many of the things that ought to have been kills were turned into assists by other players using large banks of heavy machine guns or cannons and his final K/D ratio was less than 3/1 in the C.202.

The C.202 out performs the Spitfire Mk I and P-40C by a noticeable margin and if Citabria, one of the better players, had his success level heavily curtailed by the C.202, what is Joe Average going to do with those fighters?

The P-40C and Spitfire Mk I, and all other fighters in that category, are not perk farmers.  They are challenge aircraft that one uses because one either really likes the aircraft's history (Flying Tigers, Battle of Britain, ect) or because they want the challenge.  Recommending them as perk farmers does a disservice to anybody who might be using the discussion to learn and be more effective at their chosen task, in this case earning perk points.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
In a perk farmer you want a plane that will be able to land and benefit from the perk bonus it yields. Spit1 and such are unable to disengage from a fight and getting to land them usually requires to fly with the horde or kill everthing in the vicinity.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
And flying things like the Spit I in a horde is a recipe for many assists and very few kills.

I disagree that you need to land the sorties though, in fact I suspect that taking the time to land may often not be worth the multiplier as compared to dying in the fight and getting a fresh fighter.  What you do need is the speed to play with the big boys and the guns to kill fast.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:38:09 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Mine is the Ki-61 and the A6M3  :airplane:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Mine is the Ki-61 and the A6M3  :airplane:

So THAT'S why my A6M3 had a funny smell to it... :noid
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
Saying things like the Spitfire Mk I and P-40C is absurd.  Even the best players in the game have significantly reduced success in things like that.  When people talk about perk farmers they are talking about aircraft that have ENY rates well above their real level of effectiveness.  You can land a bunch of perks with things like the Spitfire Mk I and G4M1, but your perks per hour would be far, far better with the Bf109G-2 and Ki-67 and this effect is even more extreme as you get towards the MA average skill levels where the P-40C and He111 become simply free kills to most other players but some perks might be earned in a Spitfire Mk IX or Boston MK III.

karnak I respect your opinion very much but that is not why I said the P40C the P40C if you are experienced in anything else is a forgiving aircraft and a joy to fly I guess it just must be me but I have a lot of success in that airplane from time to time it doesn't matter if I'm on base defense or flying solo over enemy territory to go find a fight it is one of my favorite rides because people underestimate it and want to get an easy kill and commit to the fight it makes a wonderful 1v1 and 1v5 aircraft I just love it is my perk farmer
just my little speel
<S> Karnak
from Eric19
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Nashorn

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
I mistook the OP as name your favorite 30+ eny plane as opposed to name the best, imho if you want the best one its the LA-5 it is pretty quick down low, has 2 cannons, but only has short range so I think the pros outweigh the cons here

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
Yeah, name your favorites is a totally different discussion in which any and all are valid answers.

The La-5FN is a very good perk farmer.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »
Yak-9T and Mosquito VI.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
With sufficient familiarity, I find the P47-D11 is far more capable than an ENY 35 would indicate.  Particularly if there's bombers in the area.

Now that the LA5 is ENY 30, it looks awfully attractive too.  Great performance, just a bit slower.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11