Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 16342 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Been a Yak Fanatic for 14 years....alone....now people whining about Yaks. :lol

<-- Another Yak fan since '04-- and yes, I find this rather amusing.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
I've kinda found 'em rather easy to kill.  I chaulked it up to the somewhat average skill level of the typical pilot.  I'm also fairly certain none of the Yak3s I've been engaged with so far have ever managed to hit me.   :D

Just sayin'.  ;)
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
I've kinda found 'em rather easy to kill.  

Especially when I fly one..   :lol  Very easy.  :D
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
Wouldn't know...haven't upped one yet (at least not in LWMA).

;)
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
It was established by Karnak decree more than 24 hours ago that the 38 henceforth shall be known as E-Z mode.  Your experience is hereby void, sir. 

While I protested at the time, I'm finding that my will is breaking.  Last night, I felt the constant compulsion to yawn while flying the newly established E-Z mode dweeb ride. 

I will now fly the Mossie exclusively.   :old:  I will be checking Karnak's post history frequently so as to keep up with other rides that have entered the realm of dweebishness.
:rofl

I didn't say the P-38 was easymode.  I said it was on the easier side of the middle. If you put all of AH's fighters on a numberline with 72 places and put the easiest, probably the Spit XVI, on the #1 spot and the hardest, probably P-40C, on the #72 spot and then all of the others ranged between them in order of difficulty, the P-38L and P-38J would be closer to the Spit XVI than to the P-40C.  The P-38G would be closer to the P-40C though.  I did not mean they are in the top spot.  Mossie is probably pretty close to the middle, but I'd guess it ends up closer to the Spit XVI than the P-40C, it is definitely easier than the P-38G.

P-38 fans just love to downplay how capable the P-38 is, as do Bf109 and Fw190 fans of their rides.  P-40 fans get the real bragging rights in my opinion.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »

I didn't say the P-38 was easymode.  . . .  but I'd guess it ends up closer to the Spit XVI than the P-40C, it is definitely easier than the P-38G.

P-38 fans just love to downplay how capable the P-38 is, as do Bf109 and Fw190 fans of their rides.  P-40 fans get the real bragging rights in my opinion.

As you know from Mossies, its not how easy a P38 is to fly it is magnetic attraction to those damn red icons that makes a big twin plane a challenge to survive outside a 1v1.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
Okay ya Limeys so ya want to make this about me and Thrllia huh........fine. Here's the way I see it. Thrilla has twice as much experience in flight sims as I do.  And most of that time flying trainers I.E. Spitfires I would suspect. Where as I have extremely limited time in any Limey POS plane. So I by default, should get a handicap just as it'd be done in golf. Because by your own admission he would mop the floor with my arse. Afterall, none of you would bet Tiger Woods in a head to head golf match would you? No of course not. That would be crazy talk.

The handicap being he flys a P40 and I get a P51 with 5k alt advantage in a best 2 out of 3 duel.

If I win Pervert you have to put "Uptown is my daddy" in your sig. If I lose I'll put "pervert is my daddy" in my sig. For a full year.  So what do ya say fancy lads....is it a date?

edit: same deal for you Coombz

Bring me the face palm!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »

Well I may of had too much Midnight Moon on the way home from AdventureLand yesterday. I do love the British folks across the pond and I'll try to embrace their silly little fighter planes from this day forth.  :o

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:26:17 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
I didn't say the P-38 was easymode.  I said it was on the easier side of the middle. If you put all of AH's fighters on a numberline with 72 places and put the easiest, probably the Spit XVI, on the #1 spot and the hardest, probably P-40C, on the #72 spot and then all of the others ranged between them in order of difficulty, the P-38L and P-38J would be closer to the Spit XVI than to the P-40C.  The P-38G would be closer to the P-40C though. 

Perhaps it's a terminology thing.  Certainly the P-38s are far more effective in the LWMA environment than the P-40s.  But I do think that 38s are more difficult to fly well, particularly compared to the P-40s.  P-38 flap use, for instance, is different from the drop-'em-and-pull-high-Gs technique used in so many other fighters, particularly the 109s; and rudder use in turns is more important in 38s than in most other planes.  Once mastered I think the 38 is one of the most effective fighters in the game, albeit a huge target. 

- oldman

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

I didn't say the P-38 was easymode.  I said it was on the easier side of the middle. If you put all of AH's fighters on a numberline with 72 places and put the easiest, probably the Spit XVI, on the #1 spot and the hardest, probably P-40C, on the #72 spot and then all of the others ranged between them in order of difficulty, the P-38L and P-38J would be closer to the Spit XVI than to the P-40C.  The P-38G would be closer to the P-40C though.  I did not mean they are in the top spot.  Mossie is probably pretty close to the middle, but I'd guess it ends up closer to the Spit XVI than the P-40C, it is definitely easier than the P-38G.

You said:
P-38 is well on the easy side of the average difficulty for a fighter in AH.

I assumed "well on" to be an intensifier.  Basically it read like you were saying the 38 is easy mode but in a much less confrontational way.  If I misinterpreted this, I apologize.    :)

Are we talking about capability or ease of transitioning for a newer pilot (difficulty)?  If capability is your criteria, I can't disagree.  The 38 is one of the more capable planes.  It's strengths are also it's weaknesses.  It does a lot of things well enough to kill in lots of different ways, but it doesn't have very many (if any) 'crutch' attributes that the pilot can count on to pull him out of a jam.  The easier planes in the game all have one or more outstanding traits they can fall back on to get them out of trouble.

So the 38 is capable.  The Mossie is as well.  Batfink absolutely destroyed my 38 with his Mossie in the DA.  But just because he and a few other Mossie pilots could do the same to the majority of AH pilots, it doesn't mean the Mossie is easy.  It's not.  To be "well on the easy side of average difficulty", I think the plane needs to have a healthy dose of mistake forgiveness.  The 38 just doesn't have that.  If you make the wrong move or don't execute fast enough, you're a large floating target that can barely dive away from a Hurricane.   

Steering this back to the OP, the Yak3 is probably well on the easy side of average difficulty because it does possess attributes that allow to get by with a mistake or two and still win the fight.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
I agree with Karnak's thoughts of, if you put planes on a scale from 1 to 72, that the P-40C is 72, something like a Spit 14 at the 1 end, and the P-38 near the middle, but in the upper 50%.

Triton puts it well, too, not inconsistent with that, and this is how I think of it, too:

It does a lot of things well enough to kill in lots of different ways, but it doesn't have very many (if any) 'crutch' attributes that the pilot can count on to pull him out of a jam.  The easier planes in the game all have one or more outstanding traits they can fall back on to get them out of trouble.

With regard to the Mossie, I've flown that around recently and am not very good in it.  I seem to get taken out frequently by pilot wounds from a sprinkling of MG rounds that in most other planes would have been inconsequential.  There are some folks who are very good in it, of course, but I don't think of it as an easy plane to fight in.

I suspect that popularity in the MA correlates somewhat with how good the plane is in the MA.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »
We Americans like to take all of the credit for the P-51, but the P-51 is half American (airframe) and half British (engine).  :aok  (Also, I think it was the British who named it "Mustang," although I'm not positive about that.)
Sorry :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »

Well I may of had too much Midnight Moon on the way home from AdventureLand yesterday. I do love the British folks across the pond and I'll try to embrace their silly little fighter planes from this day forth.  :o

You have to put "pervert is my daddy" in your sig for a full week as punishment  :old:

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

It seems that Pervert is in Belfast. Now, we all recognize that the Irish truly love their British brethren (cough, cough)... However, being of direct Irish lineage, I can state that the Irish would rather be called almost anything, but "British"...

Thus, for that offense alone, you should include "Pervert is my Daddy" in your sig, for at least a week....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:55:16 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I have a problem with anyone that fly spits...not just Thrilla.

lolololololololololololol :banana: