Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 16340 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
A rough definition of a noob ride is something that is so easy to fight it takes zero skill to pose a risk to everyone. Clearly the Yak3 is the newest noob ride of AH. The frustration is everything is the Yak3, every where every time. Gone are the days in which you could up in a mid-war bird and have a fruitfull day mixing it up with late-war birds. Now, everything is disrupted by noobs in Yak3s.

I know, I know...the scourge will diminish over time. People will get bored of flying the newest noob ride. Begs the question about using perks to control the usage of something like this. A rolling, floating perk system so that when 100 people up 99 of them are not in Yak3s, without cost atleast.

In any case, I'll log for a few weeks and see what August brings. I see why people lose interest in the MA and only fly FSO or Scenarios. If I wanted this action I would sign up for an arcade game.

Flame away...

boo
:rolleyes:

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
As a side note, since I started this whole affair...

I still think the Yak3 is a noob ride though cooler heads have prevailed an added rationale for noob rides. Attracting and keeping new players is a issue of importance to those of us who feast on noobs.

Second, I personally get a kick out of the fact that Brits seem confused. Some are in love with their tea drinking birds, namely the Spit. Why, I can only guess. The Few come to mind. So be it. Other Brits seem to 'run for the hills' and prefer German rides. If I had to guess this would be more easily resolved over warm beer at a pub in South London though they would likely end up castigating the Welch again, so maybe not.

Finally, I have conquered the pathetic Yak3 in my mighty A5. At least often enough to calm myself.

The final straw started in a classic 2 v 1. I was on the deck tied up with a 38 and Spit16. I had ruined one of the 38s engines, the other engine draining fluid of some sort. The Spit16 was going to nail me when one of my green friends zoomed by, changed the Spits mind for a fraction of a second and I reversed the Spit. Within moments I was going to kill the Spit then go vertical and finish the 38. This is when the Yak3 showed up to end the whole affair. It was the 4th or 5th 'on the deck' furball a Yak3 had ruined that day. Freak'n commies!

Anyway...as the Snailman noted, the pestilence of Yak3s is already diminishing. Like a case of the clap or herpes, shows up at all the wrong times, but for now is clearing up nicely.

boo
:rolleyes:

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
I would like to reiterate that i don't believe for 1 second the spit 14 is over modelled, in fact i think you may well be the first person to even suggest this uptown. Nor is it a trainer plane, easy mode or even magical. :D

I believe the spit 14 is a challenge largely due to its poor handling at low speed, which i guess is why few people fly it.  The spit 14 is not in the top 20 for no. of kills this tour and also has a k/d of less than 1.0.  I can understand why you may think it is easy mode if you have never really flown it or tried to push it to its limits. The spit 14 has poor directional stability; the nose oscillates with small inputs and suffers from high torque with noticeable gyroscopic effects. I never feel that i have positive control over the nose, it tends to bounce around when any input is added making it a poor gunnery platform.

The poor stability only gets worse as speeds progress below 160 mph; the spit14 really isn't a pleasant plane to fly at slow speeds at all.  By all means if someone is going to fly it between the ranges of 200 - 400 mph it is a nice plane, but there are better planes for that.  No doubt there shall be people who disagree with me on my opinion of the spit 14.  

"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
It seems that Pervert is in Belfast. Now, we all recognize that the Irish truly love their British brethren (cough, cough)... However, being of direct Irish lineage, I can state that the Irish would rather be called almost anything, but "British"...

Thus, for that offense alone, you should include "Pervert is my Daddy" in your sig, for at least a week....
   :lol oh you're a funny guy.   
Lighten up Francis

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
<-- Another Yak fan since '04-- and yes, I find this rather amusing.
:salute thndregg  :cheers:

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
I haven't had trouble with a yak of any type yet....
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
I haven't had trouble with a yak of any type yet....

Well, you don't even have 4 hours of log-in time this tour. That, and more than half of your 25 kills have been in a 262 or 109K4...

That said, if you run into my Yak-3, you'll have trouble a-plenty, if you stick around, that is.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
Well, you don't even have 4 hours of log-in time this tour. That, and more than half of your 25 kills have been in a 262 or 109K4...

That said, if you run into my Yak-3, you'll have trouble a-plenty, if you stick around, that is.

Maybe in his limited time he has not come across a Yak, thus the yet at the end of his statement. :headscratch:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:55:43 PM by ScottyK »
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »

:) Ok
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
I've run into them a lot, and they seem to be antigrav powered. :) They aren't undefeatable, but seem to be excellent fighters, at least at MA altitudes.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
I don't think spits are noob rides (Spit 16 excepted), purely because they are slow and never hold the initiative.

If you get killed by a spitfire... its your fault.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2013, 03:46:16 AM »
never hold the initiative

If they (them, whoever) can't hold the initiative in a Spitfire XVI? its not the fault of the plane and likely it would have made no difference what they rolled. That's nothing new though...
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:27 AM »
I used to see the "yak" icon in the MA and groan simply because I knew it would invariably be a 9U which would do nothing except make ineffective bnz runs at me, they were even more boring to fight than P-51s. In a 1v1 I'd have no chance of killing it but equally it would have none of killing me. Now though its usually a Yak-3 which is much more dangerous to my F6F but a hell of a lot more fun to fight. The more people who fly "uber" dogfighters like Spit 16s and Yak-3s the better from my POV.

Having said that, I've still not seen all that many Yaks around. Probably because I fly mainly defensive sorties and they don't have long legs.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »
One thing I'll say about the Yak3 is that it's generated more "buzz" than any other plane added to the set since I can remember.
Too bad there's no solid data available for the single seater Me 410.  That'd be P-38/MossVI-ish flight performance with 2xMK103 and 2xMG151/20

I fly other fighters a lot, but fly the 38 the most.  I think that gives me a good perspective.

I don't think the 38 is the hardest plane to learn, but I think you're understating the time you need to be proficient in it.  It does many things well but nothing really outstanding.  That leads a noob to get 'stuck' during a fight.  Ask me how I know.  Also, the sheer size of the 38 usually means when you do get stuck and make a mistake, the other guy isn't likely to miss.  You don't realize how much this matters until you go back to a smaller fighter, make a similar mistake, and the guy misses.  I can usually get by with more mistakes in smaller fighters.

*Edit - I think that's one of the reasons I've had such fun in the Yak3.  It's like going from driving a 1 ton dually pickup to a two seater sports car.   :lol
Ok, and I'm saying this as someone who's consistently (8+years) flown one of those ridiculously handicapped BnZ planes in TnB fights: the 38 is a piece of cake (no torque, very good roll authority at high speed, outstanding zoom, fowlers, nose guns, "laser" ballistics, plenty of ammo, airbrakes (yes, fractions of a second difference in who slows down faster is life/death in knife fight)) once you get used to the weak rudder, very thin departure margin and (compared to most other planes) how peculiarly responsive the nose is (almost undoubtedly THE plane to demonstrate joystick/rudder potentiometers' "not good enough" granularity).
You only get paid back for efforts once you reach a relatively high floor of piloting skill, but once you do the pay back is huge.  Again I'm saying this as someone who sweated stall fights in the Ta 152 and spent ridiculous amount of hours in front of a video game trying to connect 400-600y MK108 deflections.  "Finding" your aim with the 38's nose 50s means utterly ridiculous frenzy of hit sprites on targets within 600, regardless how extreme the deflections.  Nevermind relatively static targets out to 800.

The 38 does a lot of things well enough to kill in lots of different ways, but it doesn't have very many (if any) 'crutch' attributes that the pilot can count on to pull him out of a jam. 
No torque + fowlers, centerline 4x50, great acceleration from standstill.  If that doesn't make a difference then you don't know how to fly/fight.

a healthy dose of mistake forgiveness.  The 38 just doesn't have that.  If you make the wrong move or don't execute fast enough, you're a large floating target that can barely dive away from a Hurricane.   
From a Hurricane?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:27:15 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »
So, what is the definition of an easy plane?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.