Author Topic: F4U-4 vs. other low ENY  (Read 8384 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-4 vs. other low ENY
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
If done right away, you can recover but ............if it happens at super high altitude the conditions don't exist for a swift recovery and it progresses into a tail first drop that is not recoverable.

Believe me, when you fall from 41,000 feet tail first, you have plenty of time to try every single permutation of controls and power settings.

Did you turn the engine off and extend the landing gear?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
Btw. three-point means landing on all three wheels. Flair it a few feet over the runway. Keep it gliding level with power off, and keep pulling the stick back as she slows down. When she stalls and drops down on the runway keep the stick all the way back; that engages the tail-wheel lock. With the tail-wheel locked she will roll pretty straight with only minor corrections needed with rudder. When she slows down to pedestrian speeds engage the wheel brakes; if she lifts her tail up you're still rolling too fast for brakes.

Same for taxiing: Pull the stick back all the way to lock the tail-wheel. Release only when making sharp turns.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:13:55 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
Engine off (not idle... Off!), gear down, opposite rudder and push nose down.
Thanks.
The stall is the only reason I don't fly her in furballs.
Although if I'm stalling it I'm doing it wrong  :rofl
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:43 AM »
Does the above 152  recovery procedure have any bearing on RL ?
I think not.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »
Did you turn the engine off and extend the landing gear?

You do understand what "every single permutation of controls and power settings" means?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:29 AM »

You do understand what "every single permutation of controls and power settings" means?

English isn't my first language so help me out here: Do you consider the landing gear to be part of the controls or a power setting? Please help me understand.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
Does the above 152  recovery procedure have any bearing on RL ?
I think not.

I shall endeavor to remember that the next time I am flying it in RL.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
English isn't my first language so help me out here: Do you consider the landing gear to be part of the controls or a power setting? Please help me understand.

Yes.....every single control.

This includes the landing gear you mentioned, firing guns, every trim control from one end to the other, all of the auto modes, engine off, engine on, engine full, engine partial, + and - signs used full and in between.

Yes....all controls.

You have a very long time to try "everything" when you entered the tail straight down fall from 41,000 feet.

The conditions are a little different up there which allows you to get into the state in which you fall tail first straight down.

It's not a spin because you are not spinning.