Author Topic: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.  (Read 4071 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Wait till you see the video of Voldemort..  :rofl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQJK7N_C5s
The internet Is awesome :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »
Next timd you go to a doctor, think how stupid that statement is  :rofl

Not in every case, however.

There are a lot of trades that still require one to serve an apprenticeship.

I started as toolmaker's apprentice.  I spent the entire first few weeks of my apprenticeship filing a steel block to within ~ .015" of squareness, perpendicularity  and parallelism.  Only then was I deemed fit to even approach a machine.

It took me four years to earn my Journeyman's papers.  Once that happened, I was finally considered worthy to build jigs, fixtures and dies without supervision and having my balls broken by any toolmaker in the shop that felt the need to be entertained.

Throughout my apprenticeship, I went to school, two nights per week for a few hours, in addition to the 40 plus hours I was working every week.  As my education and practical experience increased, so did my wages.  It only seemed logical.

I am fully of the opinion that a college education alone is enough to make one adept at one's craft.  I have seen plenty of ideas scribbled onto cocktail napkins from freshly minted engineers that simply would not work as conceived without the experience and knowledge of one of the older guys in the shop to bring to idea to fruition.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
Not in every case, however.

There are a lot of trades that still require one to serve an apprenticeship.

I started as toolmaker's apprentice.  I spent the entire first few weeks of my apprenticeship filing a steel block to within ~ .015" of squareness, perpendicularity  and parallelism.  Only then was I deemed fit to even approach a machine.

It took me four years to earn my Journeyman's papers.  Once that happened, I was finally considered worthy to build jigs, fixtures and dies without supervision and having my balls broken by any toolmaker in the shop that felt the need to be entertained.

Throughout my apprenticeship, I went to school, two nights per week for a few hours, in addition to the 40 plus hours I was working every week.  As my education and practical experience increased, so did my wages.  It only seemed logical.

I am fully of the opinion that a college education alone is enough to make one adept at one's craft.  I have seen plenty of ideas scribbled onto cocktail napkins from freshly minted engineers that simply would not work as conceived without the experience and knowledge of one of the older guys in the shop to bring to idea to fruition.

I agree. Not every case is the same. Some things are more of an art than a science for example. So we cannot apply one rule to everything. In some cases learning on the job is the bast way. In some cases you need both. We are talking about the cases that require college.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
How can you never earn a dollar in your life if you are earning 100K a year.  Are you suggesting that those who teach contribute no value to society but those that learn from them will?  That's the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.

Yes, those in education, are those who fall short of working for a living.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
Next timd you go to a doctor, think how stupid that statement is  :rofl

you can make a example of a doctor.

how many years of apprenticeship does a doctor have to go through?

Lets be real.

You got your job with experience, and so will the next guy.

:old:

Peace.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »
you can make a example of a doctor.

how many years of apprenticeship does a doctor have to go through?

Lets be real.

You got your job with experience, and so will the next guy.

:old:

Peace.

so, in your opinion someone should get a hob at a doctor's office and they can learn the job while working there?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »
so, in your opinion someone should get a hob at a doctor's office and they can learn the job while working there?

of course, as long as they have a medical license.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2013, 01:39:17 AM »
of course, as long as they have a medical license.

semp

:rofl :aok

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »

I think your catching on  :aok

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Yes, those in education, are those who fall short of working for a living.

The only failure is they don't teach everyone to think, like you.  If you value your education and were taught by a college professor then that is their contribution to society, your education is what they produced and that is how they earned their salary.

No one taught Albert Einstein how to produce the "Theory of Relativity".  He was taught to think.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
   My girlfriend will be finished school after 7 years  , and on the payments we figure we can swing monthly. it will only take us just shy of 20 years to pay off her's and my student loans. Now it is on to the stage of getting her into a position as a nurse practioner, instead of a RN. I am hoping after she finds a job more along the lines of her qualifications we can cut the time in half on paying the loans. I am not looking forward to paying so long on a debt like that.

That's a decent sum, but peep this one.   My Sister-In-Law attended Law School for four years and practiced for about the same amount of time.    $100,000 in debt and "burned out on Law" because she "could write up a Legal Brief".   At least, your girlfriend will be practicing Nursing and not being "pissed when have to work for something".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
The only failure is they don't teach everyone to think, like you.  If you value your education and were taught by a college professor then that is their contribution to society, your education is what they produced and that is how they earned their salary.

No one taught Albert Einstein how to produce the "Theory of Relativity".  He was taught to think.

I agree if we could get more people to think like me every fighter hanger in the game would be destroyed.  :joystick:

In reality it is the product that produces the product.  "You get what you put in".  :old:

Universitys offer the reputation, guidance, resources, and of course shared knowledge for the "product" to create it self.  Knowledge is expensive, and I hope the 100k salary it necessary to get it (is the private sector that demanding?).

Now imagine if professors were required to have actual work experience (5-10 years) in the real world.  How good would the "product" be then?  Kinda like, How good would citizens be if they were required to serve in the army?  :headscratch:

Bit off topic now.  :neener:

Oh yeah, High cost of school, crushing debt, lackluster job market, check.

:cheers:

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »
NatCigg.  You should have paid more attention in English class.

"The only failure is they don't teach everyone to think, like you."

There is a comma right after the word "think" which changes the meaning of this sentence and excludes everything after the comma from everything before.  Allow me to clarify.  I don't believe you are thinking.  Without your college professors you would not have had an education of value.  They earned their money.  Their job is to teach.  If you do not pay a professor well, then you will not get good professors and you will not get as good an education.

"I agree if we could get more people to think like me every fighter hanger in the game would be destroyed."

Wow, wouldn't the game be fun then.  We could all fly buffs I guess or drive CV's around.  Again, it seems the "thinking" part eludes you sir.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2013, 04:09:09 AM »

Actually Einstein hated school and had horrible grades. Nobody taught him to think, he had natural talent for that.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Doctors have internships.

Practice makes perfect :)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.