Author Topic: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.  (Read 4075 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
The important question is who should pay?

Me so someone can earn $50k or themselves so they can earn $50k  :old:

Some people in this thread sound like the state should pay, which is a bit odd since its the US we are talking about :old:

The hidden agenda in this thread is TAXES and funding education to better the economic base of the US, like the Chinese are doing :old:

The US opinions on education and the free market economy are the problem and are impossible to reconcile  :old:

I am off for Chinese meal I think i will have a number 12 this week, but without the beansprouts :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
The important question is who should pay?

Me so someone can earn $50k or themselves so they can earn $50k  :old:

Some people in this thread sound like the state should pay, which is a bit odd since its the US we are talking about :old:

The hidden agenda in this thread is TAXES and funding education to better the economic base of the US, like the Chinese are doing :old:

The US opinions on education and the free market economy are the problem and are impossible to reconcile  :old:

I am off for Chinese meal I think i will have a number 12 this week, but without the beansprouts :old:

I think the individual should pay and spend lots of time researching the field that they want to work in.  Bring back apprenticeships.

I know that most of the folks I graduated high school with (20+ years ago) are not working in the field that they went to college to learn, yet are STILL paying-off the student loans that they incurred.

To think that people say playing video games and pipe smoking is a waste of money...    :rolleyes:

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »

Zack, your old enough to know that all Americans don't think alike. Just like Brits don't all have bad teeth ;)
Furthermore, US taxes have been subsidizing higher education for years, the question is how much of a subsidy and who is squandering the money that they are receiving today.

I think the individual should pay and spend lots of time researching the field that they want to work in.  Bring back apprenticeships.
Not a very realistic option for many professions esp for many STEM fields.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
The real issue is that people freak out at the idea that "their" tax money could be used to help another American.  For some reason, they think it is their money lol.  It stopped being yours when you gave it to the government.  And as long as the government wastes it in any way, shape, or form no one has a problem.  As long as they don;t find out that the money went to help another American.  Then every one has a problem  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
The real issue is that people freak out at the idea that "their" tax money could be used to help another American.  For some reason, they think it is their money lol.  It stopped being yours when you gave it to the government.  And as long as the government wastes it in any way, shape, or form no one has a problem.  As long as they don;t find out that the money went to help another American.  Then every one has a problem  :rofl

I have a problem when my tax money is squandered, but I also have a problem when someone squanders their natural gifts or talent.

Giving someone tax money for college is not the issue for me.  Using tax money to attend college as a means to defer the inevitability of real life, however, chaps my arse.  As one example out of many, I knew a guy that went to college for over 6 years getting degrees in American History, education, etc, etc.  Mostly on grant money, etc.

He is a full-time landscaper.  He could be teaching somewhere AND making a decent living at it.  His reason?  "I only went to school until I had to get a real job"   :rolleyes:

I guess what I am saying is that I do not mind helping a brother out, but damnit, don't piss on my back and tell me it is raining.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »

People don't care if their tax dollars go to help someone else, so long as their money is also available to them whenever they need/want it too.  Of course, if they feel their money is being spent to help some love muffin... well yeah.  Then they freak out.   :)

There are two issues with making something "free".  It's either not really free at all and it's just a marketing gimmick, or it's actually free and people abuse the snot out of it and/or don't appreciate it.  I don't think we need free education, but certainly steps can be made to ensure people don't not seek out higher education simply because of the cost. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
It does not have to free.  But it could be made easier.  No interest loans, financial assistance etc.  I am not buying into that just because a few will take advantage of it all should be denied.  Deal with who ever takes advantage the right way instead.  For example, if you take a no interest loan and you don;t graduate, you owe the loan plus interest plus a penalty.

There are things that can be done to make it easier but I stand by what I said earlier.  People do not want to see a penny of what they consider their money go towards an other person.  It is either for them or give it to foreign dictators.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Something as simple as a 4% tax applied to your paychecks until all the money is payed back if you make over 30k a year instead of a loan program. That way if students graduate during a down economy, they are not financially screwed. I personally know several people who are my age who still live at their parents or have had to move back because of the combination of under-employment (people with NBAs working temp jobs, etc..) combined with high costs of living and heavy student debt.

The larger issue is that the higher education programs have lost their cause and are now all about making money for the administrators/universities. Many university big-wigs make as much as +10x the professors and educators, yet when the funding cuts come through, their salaries remain while the educators get layed off. Personally, I believe this is a direct result of the consolidation of lame/main stream media & the decline of reporting, which historically kept public & private organizations in check. Of course the common argument from the big wigs is that is 'what the market is paying people in the private sector', in my mind, its just a lame excuse to hide behind 'capitalism' when in reality most couldn't & shouldn't and know so, ie an excuse to be purely self-interested and the expense of its mission and society in general.

http://chronicle.com/article/Income-Gap-Widens/129980/
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
I have a problem when my tax money is squandered, but I also have a problem when someone squanders their natural gifts or talent.

Giving someone tax money for college is not the issue for me.  Using tax money to attend college as a means to defer the inevitability of real life, however, chaps my arse.  As one example out of many, I knew a guy that went to college for over 6 years getting degrees in American History, education, etc, etc.  Mostly on grant money, etc.

He is a full-time landscaper.  He could be teaching somewhere AND making a decent living at it.  His reason?  "I only went to school until I had to get a real job"   :rolleyes:

I guess what I am saying is that I do not mind helping a brother out, but damnit, don't piss on my back and tell me it is raining.

I like what youve been saying.

People should have a job before going to school.  School then propels them further in the field.  In fact if we had more availability and accessibility (because there would be a market.) to private schools for high school and possibly younger, individuals could spend more of there tax paid school years learning a trade they WILL use.

Kids have been told to go to school but they have NO CLUE WHY THEY ARE THERE, and colleges dont care the kids are spending 25K$ a year wondering around, dreaming of what carear they want.

:old:

Oh and my college education was funded by tax dollars and scholarships.  I left college with a four year degree, no debt, a pretty good car, and a good chunk of change in the bank.  Thank you AMERICA.  :salute

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »
Something as simple as a 4% tax applied to your paychecks until all the money is payed back if you make over 30k a year instead of a loan program. That way if students graduate during a down economy, they are not financially screwed. I personally know several people who are my age who still live at their parents or have had to move back because of the combination of under-employment (people with NBAs working temp jobs, etc..) combined with high costs of living and heavy student debt.

The larger issue is that the higher education programs have lost their cause and are now all about making money for the administrators/universities. Many university big-wigs make as much as +10x the professors and educators, yet when the funding cuts come through, their salaries remain while the educators get layed off. Personally, I believe this is a direct result of the consolidation of lame/main stream media & the decline of reporting, which historically kept public & private organizations in check. Of course the common argument from the big wigs is that is 'what the market is paying people in the private sector', in my mind, its just a lame excuse to hide behind 'capitalism' when in reality most couldn't & shouldn't and know so, ie an excuse to be purely self-interested and the expense of its mission and society in general.

http://chronicle.com/article/Income-Gap-Widens/129980/

looking at the local universitys latest budget report.  The average professor (most likely never earned a dollar in his life.) makes 100k. whats the admin make?

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »
looking at the local universitys latest budget report.  The average professor (most likely never earned a dollar in his life.) makes 100k. whats the admin make?

As of 2009, over 36 in the California University system made over 1 mil each! According to the same article, the median 'big-wig pay' in the US is $385,909!

Charles H. Polk, who earned $1.8-million as Mountain State’s president in 2009, ranked sixth on this year’s compensation list, ahead of the presidents of such places as Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Swarthmore College, and Yale University. Mr. Polk’s pay constituted 3.5 percent of Mountain State’s budget.

Oh and my college education was funded by tax dollars and scholarships. ....  Thank you AMERICA.  :salute
Yes, I did pay for part of my education but it was highly subsidized by the state. Thank you tax paying citizens of the '90s, I would not have the same career options if it was not for your indirect financial support.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:20:17 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Zack, your old enough to know that all Americans don't think alike. Just like Brits don't all have bad teeth ;)
Furthermore, US taxes have been subsidizing higher education for years, the question is how much of a subsidy and who is squandering the money that they are receiving today.
Not a very realistic option for many professions esp for many STEM fields.

Ardy's avatar is awesone :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Is that goat married?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »
Ardy's avatar is awesone :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Is that goat married?

Wait till you see the video of Voldemort..  :rofl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQJK7N_C5s
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

How can you never earn a dollar in your life if you are earning 100K a year.  Are you suggesting that those who teach contribute no value to society but those that learn from them will?  That's the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
I like what youve been saying.

People should have a job before going to school.  School then propels them further in the field. 

Next timd you go to a doctor, think how stupid that statement is  :rofl