Author Topic: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
Re: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
The problem is that the "invite" part doesn't work very well in AH.  A good example is Trinity Tank Town.  Maybe nobody reads the text buffer any more?

MH

Sorry, so if I understand you correctly the difference then would be that your argument would be miraculously overcome by it being a "posted" arena choice is going to change peoples minds in this regard? I don't get how that changes the numbers in the WW1, EW, MW, or AvA and SEA arenas (minus FSO and scenarios for the most part) today? Look how successful these others have been. There are thread after thread of advertising, "come to the AvA, this day in such and such," etc... Because they are "sanctioned" HTC arenas means they are just as populated as a potential "custom" GV only arena might be well populated, because as I see things, no matter how many people on here who have suggested in any given number of posts trying to coerce, shame, motivate, or legislate/dictate people to use those arenas has truly been effective. My opinion on the matter is that the majority of people prefer to use the arena which allows them the highest chance of using their vehicle of choice in an environment where there are the most people because of the potential for more opportunities to find a fight and be among friends and near other potential support whether it is to play the furball game or win the war style of play or what have you. Now, those who do not like to be molested while they do those things in game likely tend to use the less populated arenas as their chances of being unmolested or vigorously opposed is part of the allure, so a custom GV arena would allow for that just as easily as a dedicated one would.  Now, as an example, my plane of choice currently is a early MW plane, though when I fly in the MW now and then it has tended to be people avoiding having to fight me. It is bad enough in LW that porkers avoid fighting and simply pork until they are shot down by ack or some fighter is disheartening enough. But LW offers the best chance I get to find a fight now more often than then. Getting to fight against more potentially superior ac than mine is also much more fun to me on those few times I am successful in the fight. I like the challenge, myself, of trying to survive in that environment. So, I do not see how your dismissal out of hand of using a custom arena being less likely to encourage using a GV only arena as being any different than the current situation regarding the less populated "official" arenas, that's all I getting at.

Sorry, it's early for me and the game has started so I am a bit too tired to proof read, so the gist might be not be expressed very well. 

:salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »
It's been slowly dying for over a decade now. How much slower can it go? And if they only charged 14.95 instead of 24.95 a month I'd bet their numbers would swell too. Its not the platform Zoney ...it's the culture, the cost and the customer service that drives people away from IEN.

Sodo and I used to have some classic battles against each other in Armoured Assault. Why have a closed mind about something you probably never tried?
eh, yeah...Zoney played warturds until our squad moved to here in 2009. and yes, it is the platform. warturds is so far behind ah it's pathetic and even a price drop won't bring in new players. the maps suck, the fm's stink and the damage models are horrendous. anyone who took notice at wildbill's marketing strategy should have noted that nothing he tried did anything of note to bring players in.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
Sorry, so if I understand you correctly the difference then would be that your argument would be miraculously overcome by it being a "posted" arena choice is going to change peoples minds in this regard? I don't get how that changes the numbers in the WW1, EW, MW, or AvA and SEA arenas (minus FSO and scenarios for the most part) today? Look how successful these others have been. There are thread after thread of advertising, "come to the AvA, this day in such and such," etc... Because they are "sanctioned" HTC arenas means they are just as populated as a potential "custom" GV only arena might be well populated, because as I see things, no matter how many people on here who have suggested in any given number of posts trying to coerce, shame, motivate, or legislate/dictate people to use those arenas has truly been effective. My opinion on the matter is that the majority of people prefer to use the arena which allows them the highest chance of using their vehicle of choice in an environment where there are the most people because of the potential for more opportunities to find a fight and be among friends and near other potential support whether it is to play the furball game or win the war style of play or what have you. Now, those who do not like to be molested while they do those things in game likely tend to use the less populated arenas as their chances of being unmolested or vigorously opposed is part of the allure, so a custom GV arena would allow for that just as easily as a dedicated one would.  Now, as an example, my plane of choice currently is a early MW plane, though when I fly in the MW now and then it has tended to be people avoiding having to fight me. It is bad enough in LW that porkers avoid fighting and simply pork until they are shot down by ack or some fighter is disheartening enough. But LW offers the best chance I get to find a fight now more often than then. Getting to fight against more potentially superior ac than mine is also much more fun to me on those few times I am successful in the fight. I like the challenge, myself, of trying to survive in that environment. So, I do not see how your dismissal out of hand of using a custom arena being less likely to encourage using a GV only arena as being any different than the current situation regarding the less populated "official" arenas, that's all I getting at.

Sorry, it's early for me and the game has started so I am a bit too tired to proof read, so the gist might be not be expressed very well.  

:salute

Geez, you have a lot in there.  On the main point:

1)   Fighting GVs against AC is not a challenge, but is instead an exercise in frustration, and if you try it for awhile you will see why.  The disparity in capability is just too great.  It is not at all similar to fighting a P40 versus a La7.  
2)   I think that GV-safe playing areas (either a separate arena, or mods to existing game play in existing arenas, all in the interest of minimal AC interference) would be popular, as evidenced by the new Crater MA TT usage.  Such areas are frequently absent in the current setup, for various reasons.  
3)   I think that custom arenas would be much less effective in attracting the maximum number of GVers, because arena visibility would be inadequate and there is no effective way to advertise them.  In contrast, if when you log in you see “LW, MW, EW, GV Arena”, those problems are eliminated.  (Actually, GV Arena should be at the top of the list ...).  
4)   However, instead of a separate GV arena, I would still prefer to use the normal maps, but with game-play modifications to make portions of the map GV-safe (per above), at all times and under all map conditions.  

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:11:56 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
eh, yeah...Zoney played warturds until our squad moved to here in 2009. and yes, it is the platform. warturds is so far behind ah it's pathetic and even a price drop won't bring in new players. the maps suck, the fm's stink and the damage models are horrendous. anyone who took notice at wildbill's marketing strategy should have noted that nothing he tried did anything of note to bring players in.

Its been so long since I played it that I don't really remember. Way back in the day I thought 2.77 was rather good. But I left in 2004 due to very sub standard customer service. However, from a pure camaraderie and excitement value, I found Armoured Assault, back then mind you, to be exceptional. Especially in the early days when we could use dot commands to call for fire and air support. I recall some very intense battles with up to 20 players in there for hours on end. Granted those numbers are pathetic compared to AH but an AH platform with the proper development and customer service would work and may even become popular.

Regardless of this versus that or "oh no we'll lose numbers" having a GV arena is not all that bad an idea. Like I said, make it a lot like WWII Battle Tanks: T-34 vs Tiger and HTC will develop a fan base. And most will be like me ...splitting time in both arenas. Sometimes I feel like a tank ...and sometimes I don't.
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »

1)   Fighting GVs against AC is not a challenge, but is instead an exercise in frustration, and if you try it for awhile you will see why.  The disparity in capability is just too great.  It is not at all similar to fighting a P40 versus a La7.

Then the old LTARS were doing something wrong. Half would be in tanks the other half would be in osties and it was VERY tough to stop them from taking a base, or take a base when they defended.

2)   I think that GV-safe playing areas (either a separate arena, or mods to existing game play in existing arenas, all in the interest of minimal AC interference) would be popular, as evidenced by the new Crater MA TT usage.  Such areas are frequently absent in the current setup, for various reasons.

The new GV areas are popular IN the main LW arena because they are IN the LW arena. Take them out and put them in a seperate arena and they will be ghost towns, see WWI, EW, MW arenas for proof.

3)   I think that custom arenas would be much less effective in attracting the maximum number of GVers, because arena visibility would be inadequate and there is no effective way to advertise them.  In contrast, if when you log in you see “LW, MW, EW, GV Arena”, those problems are eliminated.  (Actually, GV Arena should be at the top of the list ...).

because they are NOT the main arena. again see the other arenas to see how "popular" it could be.

4)   However, instead of a separate GV arena, I would still prefer to use the normal maps, but with game-play modifications to make portions of the map GV-safe (per above), at all times and under all map conditions.  

MH

... and while were at it lets make it so that once your inside 5 miles of the depots you can no longer take damage to your buffs, after all bomber pilots should be able to have their fun with out others trying to kill them.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

Then the old LTARS were doing something wrong. Half would be in tanks the other half would be in osties and it was VERY tough to stop them from taking a base, or take a base when they defended.

Not talking about a highly-organized squad trying to capture a base, but the false claim that in general a GV (typically a tank in the middle of a tank battle) can effectively fight an AC.  

The new GV areas are popular IN the main LW arena because they are IN the LW arena. Take them out and put them in a seperate arena and they will be ghost towns, see WWI, EW, MW arenas for proof.

You could be right, and that’s why I prefer my alternative.  However, I am willing to try the OP, which BTW would require relatively little effort by HTC to implement, since it is just one more of what they already have.  

because they are NOT the main arena. again see the other arenas to see how "popular" it could be.

The other arenas are not GV arenas, but instead pertain to less popular elements of the game, and less popular game settings.  Not comparable.  

... and while were at it lets make it so that once your inside 5 miles of the depots you can no longer take damage to your buffs, after all bomber pilots should be able to have their fun with out others trying to kill them.

Not the same.  Your characterization here is global (OP isn’t), eliminates existing styles of play (OP doesn’t); and implies that the goal of the OP is to keep GVs from being killed at all (not what OP, or my alternative, asks for).  

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:58:52 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »

Oh heck no! One of the biggest thrills there is for BUFF drivers is trying to get his stricken ship home without running out of fuel from leaking holes, seizing an engine or two or getting jumped by furballing wolves who smell blood!

Offline 77fib77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
Why not a low cloud cover area on maps for gvs to fight it out?

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »

That's exactly what IEN did in the early days of Armoured Assault when we could pilot Stukas and Apaches in the arena as close support. The cloud cover was very low making the flying very harrowing and limited. An excellent idea.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »

That's one idea, but it would make the game look wierd, and I can think of lots of better ways to do it.  Anyway, I don't want to eliminate the current play styles, but instead to supplement them with an additional GV-safe style.  I have no problems with people bombing GVs; just not everywhere. 

MH

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »

nice dense fog about 250 feet above the battle,,,  great idea,, still gives planes a chance,, but evens things out a lot,,, might be a big frame rate killer tho!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
Aces High is not WWIIOnline, World of Tanks, or War Thunder.

But, you gents are attempting to convince Hitech to do to his unique game offering the same as California expat's have politically done to Washington, Oregon, Colorado and New Mexico.

This is a combat simulator game using ww2 toys 24x7. If you want no airplanes to bomb your tanks, there are arenas offering you that ability. But, the MA is a "free for all" where once you spawn out in your toy, you are free game to be destroyed by everyone with a popgun or bomb to drop on you. You will do exactly the same to them with your cannon if they screw up and get in your sights with the same lack of remorse. That's the price to pay for flying, driving or sailing anything in the MA.

No one in the MA has it any easier than anyone else. We all die and get our rosy perfect evenings screwed for us by some SOB. Who couldn't give a ratz hairy kester that you think Hitech should give you special exemptions from the carnage called the Main Arena.

That's what you are trying to convince Hitech of here. That for some reason more special than everyone else's, you deserve an exemption from getting your kesters blown to heck by having the MA modified to protect your special little kesters.

We should expand this to the fighter guys and bomber guys. It would be no different than them wanting special exceptions against being shot down. Say an anti-muppet exception for the fighter guys and an anti-Snailman exception for the strat bombers. And an anti-torpedo bomber exception for all those guys who can never get close enough to the CV to get off their torpedo's. And an anti-field ack exception for the vulchers who are simply trying to get a kill off those pesky ack huggers. And an "anti-tank hiding in the bomber hanger" exception trying to get your plane in the air just as the fighter hanger ups who the last thing they hear is "Boooooom".

Everyone dies in this game exactly when they don't want to. None of you are any exception or any more special.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
Aces High is not WWIIOnline, World of Tanks, or War Thunder.
<snip, the usual gibberish...>

That's right Bustr; ignore the detailed points previously made.  If you actually paid attention to them your position would collapse, wouldn't it ...

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:50:10 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 11:42:58 PM »
That's right Bustr; ignore the detailed points previously made.  If you actually paid attention to them your position would collapse, wouldn't it ...

MH

Or, which has been pointed out, you choose to ignore the fact that you can immediately have the environment you want using existing game functions. Your position is the one without legs. I am not trying to be antagonistic, just giving my opinion on the wish. Why do you want a kiddie pool area in the MA? That you do not understand what buster is saying is because you want the game to function a certain way that you want to play. Why should any section of the fight in the MA have special considerations? Make a map and set it up to your particular design and then get it put into the game. I just do not get why there needs to be anything special done when there are alternatives for people who agree with you. If you have such a following, then there is not going to be a lot of wheedling to get people in there right? I mean, how is a separate GV arena going to fair any better than the current sparsely populated arenas. Why do GVers feel it is unfair that someone has a chance to bomb them if they want? I mean, if you don't want to be killed in a GV then the TA, DA, or custom arena can take care of that. Why should the MA be cordoned off? It is about combat, all interlaced together. I do not even bother with attacking GVs myself. I get ambushed now and then by Ostis and Wirbs on the deck sometime, don't really like it since I can't see them until I am on them anymore, but cest la vie, I deal with it. I generally see more GVs taken out by other GVs than AC anyway, but that is just my little slice of reality. Honestly, you really are asking for the game to be changed just to suit yourself at the expense of others. I mean honestly, my wish would be that if you pork a field you have to stop and fight it out if a defender shows up rather than doing Cuban 8s until ack gets you or a plane finally catches up to you or if you bail from your plane without a fight you get sent to desktop, and buffs can't fly over 15K since I am too lazy to climb into the stratosphere to defend against them. Lancstukas should cause a week banishment, A20s dog fighting should shed parts (and other buffs not rated for acrobatics as well) Drones should be lost or take twice the amount of time to catch up and should never warp back into position. Add Me 163s to all bases near HQ and strats as well. I think hordes should self destruct when the 10th aircraft crosses a darbar all at once, I mean really. Play my way please!

Organize, use the available game mechanics and you get the exact thing you want. I am not against you, just trying to show you have the potential already modeled. If you put half as much effort into trying to make it work than you are using putting everyone down I am sure you could get something good put into place.   :salute

:cheers:

Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
You guys are asking Hitech to make a special exemption for you from facing the full fury of the Main Arena because you drive tanks. No other group of players would get any special exemption from that same fury and Russian Roulette we all play with our game lives.

What makes you so special over anyone else in this game?

Is your death and frustration in a tank more special than my same frustration over my death in a fighter?

What makes your cartoon death in your cartoon toy any more tragic than my cartoon death in my cartoon toy of choice in this game?

We both pay the same amount for our subscriptions to access the MA and use all of it's toys as we see fit. What makes your $14.95 so special that you deserve an exemption from all the possible types of death in the arena that everyone else has to suffer?

What is so special about "you" over all the other special $14.95 paying customers?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.