Author Topic: Preview Films  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Preview Films
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
"Or, maybe you're just happy being the target."

I resemble that remark  :devil :cry

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
I know.  For the Youtube uploads the source will be very different.  I did not see the point in creating large downloads for this test.  The final versions will be available, in full resolution and high stream rates, when they are done.

We were just looking more for content related remarks, but appreciate the fact you did notice how bad the aliasing was.  I hated it too.  Just for the record.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
I really liked the image mapping vid.  The texture vid and the pursuit vid were good as well.  I would have pulled the view back a little but that is just my preference. Awsome job guys
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
With the first video on pursuit a thought popped into my head that would add some bells and whistles to this.

I believe AH Film Viewer has the ability to show the paths flown with airplanes using lines, basically like contrails. This allows you to create a map of the flight paths of both planes. You could keep your video as is, then add another 45 seconds and show it with mapping/contrails. Then you could freeze it at some point then add arrows to show what lag, etc mean through visual tools.

This would do two things. It would add visual maps that novices could follow. While you explain it well I anticipate many still don't get it. First time I had a lag turn explained to me was as a kid at Nellis AFB by two F-16 pilots. They drew circles to show how a lag turn allowed you to actually turn within the bogeys circle when it was turning too sharp.

Second, it would add a whole layer of sophistication to AH. Many have seen Top Gun where they use this to map out the whole ACM. You would show those interested in flying AH a very sophisticated briefing/debriefing tool.

Just my two cents.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
I know.  For the Youtube uploads the source will be very different.  I did not see the point in creating large downloads for this test.  The final versions will be available, in full resolution and high stream rates, when they are done.

We were just looking more for content related remarks, but appreciate the fact you did notice how bad the aliasing was.  I hated it too.  Just for the record.
:banana: Without question, you guys are on the right track! We need more and more players!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
We have attached a preview of three films we are going to be putting up on our official Youtube channel and are looking for some feedback.  There are two distinct categories involved in these three films.

We already have some of our own comments and improvements we want to see, but it never hurts to have more eyes on the target.  The resolution for these is only 1280x720.  The final cuts will be 1920x1080.

Lead, lag, and pure pursuit explored.
Environment mapping revealed.
Maximum texure size explained.

You asked for it...

1) In the first video, I don't think a novice will see the distinction in lead, lag and pure the way it is demonstrated. It shows a single plane going through the whole range and no pausing or added graphic to make the distinctions to precise moments you go from lag to pure to lead.

2) One great thing about the game is no F3 mode in the MA. The whole video is in F3. Potential customers should see the best of AH even if they may not know enough about it to appreciate that difference. Filming this with Track Ir or the like from inside the cockpit, with the pilot making a couple of clearing glances (ideally with other action going on around him) would be more interesting along with a few external shots to see the sexy aircraft. Also, using a pause in the video to show the gunsight in the lag, pure and lead positions would more clearly identify those than the external picture.

3) You already stated it would not be you in the final cut. For consideration, my thoughts on what I heard was, it sounded like one of us geeky players recording from mom's basement, echo and all. It should sound like, maybe even be, a current or retired fighter pilot (and identified...Robert Shaw, Author and former...) He should sound professional

4) The humor. Maybe it was delivery, but I don't feel it worked. "maybe you just like being a target" is clever alough I'm not sure how to define what I sensed. It seemed to me that it either has to be more off the wall, shocking, playful or not at all. Or in other words delivery.

5) Maybe you should identify the types of aircraft in the engagement. You should identify the players in the aircraft. I suggest Hitech be the one going down in flames... "Here we have Dale 'Hitech'... flying the A6m. Hitech is the only pilot in history to cut classes in flight school..." Just my humble opinion  :D  While many of the people drawn to your site already know what a Zero is, some won't. It's not a critical issue though I feel identifying characters is more important. It gives a little life to the game, it reinforces that these are real people you're dogfighting with and uses minimal effort to get every ounce of positive PR out of a single video when the person who hits that film is a novice with NO CLUE what so ever what they just stumbled on.

6) The first shot of of the Zero getting flamed and no other objects in the film was unimpressive or bland.

7) I think you should use some custom sounds. Even though it's a form of embellishment, it is a player option and like I said, every effort to make the game shine should be taken. Obviously engine sound would interfere with dialog, so fade out the sound only during dialog. It won't make your film any longer to use a little cinematic affect to flash from an external shot of the Mustang and its Merlin to the Zero with its radial.

8) What Semp said. Add custom skins and do some close ups of the airplanes. This is show and tell, make it good.

I like where this is going but want to stress it again. No matter how relatively minor these little films seem to be, every little thing should be done to make it shine. A good example, Niros talent at dramatizing the action.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
You echo many of my own sentiments muzik.  Constructive criticism is always welcome and appreciated.

However, one point of contention is there is no good way to show a "lead pursuit" shot from the cockpit.  All you would see is, nothing as the bad guy would be hidden by the nose of his plane.  Of course, if I could get some video of lead pursuit with the the two planes in different planes where the bad guy could be seen out of the left or right cockpit window, then we would have a different set of films to deal with.

Truth is, I am working with what I have.  I am not capable enough as a pilot to stage these maneuvers very well at all.  I know exactly what I would like, but have no idea how to do it myself.  I went through 30+ videos for that short footage I used in the pursuit video.  If any of you want to give it a go, I will be happy to open up "The Playroom".  Just let me know what you want to do.

Getting a 15 second voice over to describe a 4 second video is always a challenge.  I am not happy with the first pass of this.  I am still thinking of a better way to get it done.  I like the technical videos.  With better voice over, I think they are close.

I think jumping from one view to another in quick succession would be dramatic, but it might also confuse the uninitiated.  These particular videos are not meant for the seasoned flight sim stick, but I would like them to at least entertain those in the know.  So, we are still banging our heads against the wall and hoping to hear as many opinions about it as possible.

You never know when that one thought is the one that brings on the onslaught of ideas.

<S>
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:46:47 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 04:41:44 PM »
 :salute nice videos. now we can expect to see a mirror on the planes soon?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
You echo many of my own sentiments muzik.  Constructive criticism is always welcome and appreciated.

However, one point of contention is there is no good way to show a "lead pursuit" shot from the cockpit.  All you would see is, nothing as the bad guy would be hidden by the nose of his plane.  Of course, if I could get some video of lead pursuit with the the two planes in different planes where the bad guy could be seen out of the left or right cockpit window, then we would have a different set of films to deal with.

Truth is, I am working with what I have.  I am not capable enough as a pilot to stage these maneuvers very well at all.  I know exactly what I would like, but have no idea how to do it myself.  I went through 30+ videos for that short footage I used in the pursuit video.  If any of you want to give it a go, I will be happy to open up "The Playroom".  Just let me know what you want to do.

Getting a 15 second voice over to describe a 4 second video is always a challenge.  I am not happy with the first pass of this.  I am still thinking of a better way to get it done.  I like the technical videos.  With better voice over, I think they are close.

I think jumping from one view to another in quick succession would be dramatic, but it might also confuse the uninitiated.  These particular videos are not meant for the seasoned flight sim stick, but I would like them to at least entertain those in the know.  So, we are still banging our heads against the wall and hoping to hear as many opinions about it as possible.

You never know when that one thought is the one that brings on the onslaught of ideas.

<S>

stop the film and do a "matrix" type of film where the camera moves around showing both then go back to the pursuing airplane for the final shot.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »
"Maybe you're just happy being the target."

Skuzzy, you figured me out.  :cheers:

(Love the intro splash)

I love being the target :t

I think this is great that you guys are putting these together :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
I watch this video often.  really bad acting but the sound makes up for it.   skuzzy, it's all about the sound.  that was top gun was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX1sgZVGBUw

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
However, one point of contention is there is no good way to show a "lead pursuit" shot from the cockpit.  All you would see is, nothing as the bad guy would be hidden by the nose of his plane.  

I thought the same thing. It seems that the two good examples outweigh the other method.

Maybe during your explanation of lead pursuit, you could use one or two pauses as the enemy aircraft passes through the gunsight and then out of sight. Then show an external shot of a similar point.  ...talk, show, pause, talk, show pause... Then show external without pause. It doesn't even have to be the same film clip or aircraft. Probably better not.

For the external shot, I see two planes in a hard FLAT turn. Shot from above looking down and maybe with an anxious shooter taking early shots all the way through lag so that you can point out (maybe with pauses again), exactly where each shot is.

Just an idea. I don't think that really gets to the depth of the lead concept though.

Maybe just show top view of two a/c on an intersecting course where the aggressor fires ahead of the defensive a/c. In both cases it's not important to see the bullet strikes because it doesn't seem that gunnery is the subject, only lead pursuit.

I think jumping from one view to another in quick succession would be dramatic, but it might also confuse the uninitiated.  

I can see that happening. But either way, they will be confused if care is not taken to make the point clearly.

So true.

<S>
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »

<S>

What about a split screen?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
Hmm.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:02:41 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
Would it be possible to stop the pursuit video at certain points and add in an animated arc, with an explanation of when/why the pursuer is changing from lag to lead?  Kind of like how "dogfights" did it.

"The bandit is here.  Skuzzy is here. Perfect attack position."  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:49:50 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."