Author Topic: Re-Arm Options  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re-Arm Options
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
to get the hell out of france and back to england? ok, sure, i agree. the prudent thing to do would be to try and get to another airbase where full service could be had before trying to cross the channel...

Only had to fly one-way .... not like the Germans a few weeks later.  :D

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Personally I think if say ord is knocked out at a field then even the rearm pad shouldnt supply new bombs. the best you should be able to get is fuel and bullets.

Same thing with fuel If fuel is knocked down to 100% then drop tanks shouldnt be available. If knocked down to 75% then thats all you should be able to get even on the rearm pad
on that note, if like you say, rearm options were tied to base ords and fuel availability taking different amounts of fuel wouldn't be so objectionable. if fuel is at 100%, then all you can get is 100% (drop tank optional). if the fuel is at 75% then all you can get is 75% (no drop tanks), and so on until fuel supply at the base is at zero, then you can't refuel. for ords, if ords are up, get whatever you want. if ords are down, you get nothing.

take it a step further (may be way too complicated), affect the entire country by tying strats to ords and fuel and...add in resupply time. basic idea would be, if the fuel factory is leveled, country goes into fuel ration mode everywhere except the uncapturable bases (unless the uncapturable bases get leveled as well). even bases that are 100% operational can only get a max of 50% fuel in the hangar and on the rearm pad. if the base fuel is down, it won't come back up until the fuel factory is resupplied back to at least 25%. kill the ords factory and the base ords that are down won't come back up until the factory is resupplied to at least 25%.

sadly the strats used to be a more integral part of "the war effort"...now they are a circus side show with the crowds hanging out in hording vulch fests.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
sadly the strats used to be a more integral part of "the war effort"...now they are a circus side show with the crowds hanging out in hording vulch fests.

Ultimately the types of enemy degradation of capability you're talking about to make the strats 'more useful' is not fun for most because it's quite possible (probable) that you'll log in for your limited play time in the evening and only have access to 25% fuel.  This leaves you with the option to either fight severely hampered by the failures of your countrymen in the hours previous to your logging on, or you get to start playing Strat Resupply Hero before you can do anything, which is only fun for a limited segment of the game population.

As for the original wish, I'd say it should allow you to adjust your loadout based on the stuff you took off with.  If your plane has permanent mounts for ord/DT's, you should be able to select them.  If you took off with stuff that requires racks, you should be able to select those things.  If you didn't, it shouldn't be available.  As far as gun packages, ammo load differences should be allowed if they're there, adding/removing/changing guns shouldn't be allowed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »
Ultimately the types of enemy degradation of capability you're talking about to make the strats 'more useful' is not fun for most because it's quite possible (probable) that you'll log in for your limited play time in the evening and only have access to 25% fuel.  This leaves you with the option to either fight severely hampered by the failures of your countrymen in the hours previous to your logging on, or you get to start playing Strat Resupply Hero before you can do anything, which is only fun for a limited segment of the game population.

As for the original wish, I'd say it should allow you to adjust your loadout based on the stuff you took off with.  If your plane has permanent mounts for ord/DT's, you should be able to select them.  If you took off with stuff that requires racks, you should be able to select those things.  If you didn't, it shouldn't be available.  As far as gun packages, ammo load differences should be allowed if they're there, adding/removing/changing guns shouldn't be allowed.

Wiley.

Sounds simple enough, bearing in mind ignorance of what the difficulty in coding would be.  :cheers:

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
 i think it should be allowed on an aircraft carrier only. when that option is selected,have it take double the time

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Hello Pilots...

What do you guys think of having options at the re-arm pad. Do you think it would be a good idea if we were able to change our fuel and bomb load out at the re-arm pad? Why not repairs? Here is an example WHY I would want this. Say for instance you originally started out with full load out of bombs and fuel. After you make it back to re-arm, the enemy has made it in close to your base. The flight hangers have been knocked out, so you can't get another plane with less fuel and bombs to fight them off the base. You have to carry full load of bombs and fuel to fight the enemy. While you are on the ground, why cant we get repairs and request less fuel and no bombs? Seems they would have been able to do this during the war instead of the latter.

Thanks
Armkreuz
:airplane: I have always suspected that the only reason for the rearm pads to begin with, is for the "scoreing" hounds in this game! What difference does it make to end your sortie with 2 kills or 12, just a difference in your over all score! The  whole object of this "game" is the one on one combat and who comes out the winner, time and time again. The score you post is irrelative to the excitement of the this combat sim.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
:airplane: I have always suspected that the only reason for the rearm pads to begin with, is for the "scoreing" hounds in this game! What difference does it make to end your sortie with 2 kills or 12, just a difference in your over all score! The  whole object of this "game" is the one on one combat and who comes out the winner, time and time again. The score you post is irrelative to the excitement of the this combat sim.

I need to get you into events. Having a re-arm pad that offers load/ord options would make a huge difference in 'one-life and you're done for the frame' events. CiCs could instruct units to re-arm differently depending on the changing needs of the on-going battle.

This would not affect scoring in any arena, even the MA, since the OP is not asking for repair capability. A busted up bird that barely made it down isn't going to re-arm (or if they do, it's folly).

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
i think it should be allowed on an aircraft carrier only. when that option is selected,have it take double the time

Would it take double the time to load 500 lbers instead of 1000 lbers (or even visa versa)? Would it take double the time to not load drop-tanks?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
I need to get you into events. Having a re-arm pad that offers load/ord options would make a huge difference in 'one-life and you're done for the frame' events. CiCs could instruct units to re-arm differently depending on the changing needs of the on-going battle.
that is the one and only instance where changing loadouts would be agreeable...with one caveat, no onboard fuel changes.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
that is the one and only instance where changing loadouts would be agreeable...with one caveat, no onboard fuel changes.

Why?  :)

(Before we go into the historical nuance, what I really mean is why would that be a huge deal? First, in an event where distance and fuel burn is critical, it's unlikely such would be required. Secondly, while I can see HTC making hangar options available on the RE pad, I'm not so sure only making some of them available would be as easy to code.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:43:38 PM by Arlo »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »
historical accuracy notwithstanding, it would require new programming anyway and it would be actually be easier to code ordnance options alone than all hangar options.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »
historical accuracy notwithstanding, it would require new programming anyway and it would be actually be easier to code ordnance options alone than all hangar options.

How do you figure? The hangar options are already coded. Offering a window to the existing hangar options on the RA pad versus coding that actually changes those options sounds simpler to me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
How do you figure? The hangar options are already coded. Offering a window to the existing hangar options on the RA pad versus coding that actually changes those options sounds simpler to me.
the hangar options are not coded to the rearm pad...that would be required in order to access the hangar options anyway.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »
the hangar options are not coded to the rearm pad...that would be required in order to access the hangar options anyway.

Well yeah. But then you suggest an additional step.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
Well yeah. But then you suggest an additional step.
what extra step? it's simply deleting or commenting out some code so that fuel doesn't even show up. and you don't even need the graphics. just a list of ordnance options.

jarhed