Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14871 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
A lot of these suggestions are essentially abandoning the entire concept of a flight simulator.  I get that we want to attract new players, but sacrificing what this game is at its core is entirely the wrong way to go about doing so. 

I can't speak for others, but for me, the difficulty and learning curve were a very large part of the draw for me to begin with.

If HTC wants to bring in more players, the answer is marketing.  You advertise, you update your website (so much needed here - there's a whole thread for it, but in short: a blog for generating lots of fresh content - which will help the next part, optimizing the site for search engine visibility {this is SEVERELY lacking at present}, and modernizing its design), extend your trial period to allow new users to get their feet under them before having to pay, and maybe offer incentives for referrals.  Say, get a month or so free for any referrals that subscribe after their trial.

The loss of quality players that would likely result from scaling down the realism and difficulty would FAR outweigh any benefits of an influx new, inexperienced, and unskilled (not that I have much room to talk here) arcade-jockeys.  :old:  :joystick:

I don't think anybody wants to dumb down the game. I know what you mean about the challenge of the learning curve. That said if there was a little non compulsory structure to enhance learning I think you would see more free trial to subscriber conversions. Everything you say about marketing is true but I would argue that before spending on that the game should be better prepared to convert new players, it just isn't now. The low hanging fruit has fallen and the new crop is harder to pick.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
A lot of these suggestions are essentially abandoning the entire concept of a flight simulator.  I get that we want to attract new players, but sacrificing what this game is at its core is entirely the wrong way to go about doing so. 

I can't speak for others, but for me, the difficulty and learning curve were a very large part of the draw for me to begin with.

If HTC wants to bring in more players, the answer is marketing.  You advertise, you update your website (so much needed here - there's a whole thread for it, but in short: a blog for generating lots of fresh content - which will help the next part, optimizing the site for search engine visibility {this is SEVERELY lacking at present}, and modernizing its design), extend your trial period to allow new users to get their feet under them before having to pay, and maybe offer incentives for referrals.  Say, get a month or so free for any referrals that subscribe after their trial.

The loss of quality players that would likely result from scaling down the realism and difficulty would FAR outweigh any benefits of an influx new, inexperienced, and unskilled (not that I have much room to talk here) arcade-jockeys.  :old:  :joystick:

Letting noobs have the computing gunsight until five or ten kills in is not sacrificing anything.   It baits the hook.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

How about increasing the trial period from two weeks to a month? Two weeks possibly too short to get anywhere on the learning curve.

This couldn't hurt.  They could look at the stats and see what happens.  If it drives numbers it was a good idea.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
Smaller maps. Takes way too long to find and get into a good fight. When numbers are down (<200 people in arena) - automatically smaller map.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
change the map rotation plz?

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
                                                           SUMMARY OF THIS DISCUSSION

1 Two weeks more of free subscription.       I.e. 1 month.

2 Lead computing gun-sight for the first 10kills

3 Smaller Maps for off peak ours ( under 200) people

4  Marketing ( Aces High as unique.) Point out why it is better than other FPS flight simulators.

6 Tutorial

7 Movies made by players.  (i.e sent in by other players)

8 Run a add in War birds magazine.

Anything else I am missing
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
                                                           SUMMARY OF THIS DISCUSSION

1 Two weeks more of free subscription.       I.e. 1 month.

3 Smaller Maps for off peak ours ( under 200) people

4  Marketing ( Aces High as unique.) Point out why it is better than other FPS flight simulators.

6 Tutorial

7 Movies made by players.  (i.e sent in by other players)

8 Run a add in War birds magazine.

Anything else I am missing

9 Up subscription fees to 19.95 per month
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

And you are sure this won't mean less subscribers? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »

:lol yeah right :lol Hello this 2013, not 1993

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
And you are sure this won't mean less subscribers? ;)

If anything they should drop the pricing to 9.95, in my opinion.  You don't increase your base by raising prices.

But I would add...

10.  With the release of the new terrain system, re-release the game as Aces High 3 to generate a little new buzz.

And I really think you can give the LCG to noobs for much longer than 10 kills. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:27:29 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
:lol yeah right :lol Hello this 2013, not 1993

Exactly, smacktard. Kids buy used games for 29 bucks at GameStop and play as much as they wish for no charge.  Way to go Einstein with the whole reasoning thing....
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Exactly, smacktard. Kids buy used games for 29 bucks at GameStop and play as much as they wish for no charge.  Way to go Einstein with the whole reasoning thing....

:huh  :rolleyes:  :lol

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »

Nobody would care but I would quit with that price...   Not worth it.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
If anything they should drop the pricing to 9.95, in my opinion.  You don't increase your base by raising prices.

But I would add...

10.  With the release of the new terrain system, re-release the game as Aces High 3 to generate a little new buzz.

And I really think you can give the LCG to noobs for much longer than 10 kills. 

+1..

holy !@$% PFactorDave is back?! Good to see you sir.  :salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »

It's not a good idea to enable the LCGS for new players for a limited time as it does really nothing for them at that point and gives then an unfair advantage over the regular player base.  If you really want to help new players, the other suggestions about a tutorial for new players or a 'training academy' (similar to the one Air Warrior used to have) or even a dedicated new player arena (again, similar to what Air Warrior had) would be more beneficial in not only helping new players get over the steep learning curve but also increase retention rates.

If you were to give a new player the LCGS in the MA for a limited time, all you are doing is a crutch that he's going to be forced to rely on and once you remove it, the new player will flounder and in most cases, would probably end up leaving the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song