Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14589 times)

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2015, 12:38:28 AM »
How did we go ?  Been thinking about dusting off the gear ...how are things off-peak (aussie time)   did anything improve ?
I come from a land downunder

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2015, 12:51:48 AM »
No

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:14 AM »
I don't expect numbers to pick up until the update hits.  It is my hope to see numbers like we did when I first started in Tour 113.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
Id like to see smaller maps for a bit... till numbers go back up
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2015, 01:58:57 AM »
I would very much like to see smaller combat areas when numbers are smaller.  That's the best way to make off-peak playable, in my opinion.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2015, 06:30:18 AM »
I Dont think off hours are that bad, ok sometimes it is but there also qoute a few nice furballs going on from time to time, often more balanced than the super hordes u encounter during prime time.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
I would very much like to see smaller combat areas when numbers are smaller.  That's the best way to make off-peak playable, in my opinion.

Yeah this is something I'd like to see too. If there is some why to open and close fields correlating with the #s in the arena. I think it would make the fighting area smaller and force players to actually battle each other on the map. This would at least make the combat action more fun during off hours. The more players that arrive say 50, 100, 150 and so on,  will open more bases and create larger sections of the map to fight in.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
I have an idea: When any side is below 30 players, disable gvs and buffs. Get AH back to its roots, having fun in air combat.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
I have an idea: When any side is below 30 players, disable gvs and buffs. Get AH back to its roots, having fun in air combat.

Even less players is no anwer.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »

Even less players is no anwer.

Having most of the players fighting against AI is no answer either.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #325 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Are there any game theory guys that play/post here, and have an opinion?  I know I sound like I'm grasping at straws, but I had to ask.  War Thunder makes an attempt at forcing a Nash Equilibrium in its fixed-headcount, timed arenas.  You have a set objective, and you can't go off the farm and do your own thing.  None of that applies in Aces High (at least it doesn't in practice).  The way AH is set up, with freedom to work as a team or freedom to just log in and have fun on your own, equilibrium theory goes out the window.  You end up with a situation of the game being like a broken clock being right twice a day:  every now and then, when sides are somewhat even and a majority of each side is into working in groups, then a majority on all sides have a good experience.  The rest of the time, the gaming experience value is poor for players in at least one of the three countries, which likely results in fewer players playing during that time.  Unfortunately, the only way to induce something close to an equilibrium is to force a common player behavior in the players, like War Thunder.  I don't see how you can do that in AH.  I think the problem isn't in the game.  The problem is the freedom in behavior the game allows.  I don't think there is a quick fix.   

Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
Pictures speak a 1,000 words...........Rooks aint buying this new 5 min rule for HQ

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
Are there any game theory guys that play/post here, and have an opinion?  I know I sound like I'm grasping at straws, but I had to ask.  War Thunder makes an attempt at forcing a Nash Equilibrium in its fixed-headcount, timed arenas.  You have a set objective, and you can't go off the farm and do your own thing.  None of that applies in Aces High (at least it doesn't in practice).  The way AH is set up, with freedom to work as a team or freedom to just log in and have fun on your own, equilibrium theory goes out the window.  You end up with a situation of the game being like a broken clock being right twice a day:  every now and then, when sides are somewhat even and a majority of each side is into working in groups, then a majority on all sides have a good experience.  The rest of the time, the gaming experience value is poor for players in at least one of the three countries, which likely results in fewer players playing during that time.  Unfortunately, the only way to induce something close to an equilibrium is to force a common player behavior in the players, like War Thunder.  I don't see how you can do that in AH.  I think the problem isn't in the game.  The problem is the freedom in behavior the game allows.  I don't think there is a quick fix.   

You can have those kind of game mode arenas in AH, you just make an arena for those game modes while keeping the MA as it its.  For example, there can be an arena that is PvE staged missions and another with PvP staged missions.  With HiTech's recent post about some of the game modes he's working on, I think that's the direction AH will be going.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
That is so boring I would be gone. Freedom of how you want to play the game is still the best way. I hated the forced structure games.

Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »
Pictures speak a 1,000 words...........Rooks aint buying this new 5 min rule for HQ
(Image removed from quote.)

I have plenty of similar pics just before the change was made to 5 to 125 minutes (no, it's not just "5 minutes") , for all sides. even worse ones.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman