Author Topic: Tips and tricks for better fighting performance  (Read 3152 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tips and tricks for better fighting performance
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
To add.

There are more throttle settings then full power with wep and full low power
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
Funny Stuff Arlo :lol

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
Hah Arlo you goofball.

Every time someone complains on 200 you take a drink!

Good god, that game would have me hugging the spinning floor, crying and puking in less than 30 minutes.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
To add.

this,this and this...... prolly the most overlooked aspect of ACM

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
I actually hope this doesn't get moved to training and help because I think more people will see it here.

What dred and ink said too is true!

I think throttle work takes a lot of experience and practice. But it is so important to use to be able to get inside other planes and make shot. Especially at the top of a immelmann and during the rolling scissors.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:38:27 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline blkblade

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks Violator.
I have reason to believe the squirrels are mocking me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
Too add.

Spiral rope climb
         Generally, we all fall prey to a nice a "rope a dope" which is basically a plane that has more E than you who gets you to follow him/her up vertical until you run out of speed and stall out, then he/she hammer stalls, flips over, and shoots you frozen in the sky unable to move. This is a great move and takes a lot of practice to perfect (judging E and being just far enough away for them to miss). Many times this can also be a nice set up as well for a squadie to help clear your 6. The only problem with a straight up vertical rope is that you also become easier to pick. There is a better way, although it takes more practice and is a bit harder to time. The spiral rope climb is one of my favorite moves to do in the game.
          The spiral rope climb much like the vertical rope climb is a way to get the enemy to seemingly float in the air (out of E) as you roll over and make the shot. What makes the spiral better than the vertical is that you have the ability to hold your E better by simply rolling over rather than doing a 0 E hammerhead stall. Also if you so happen to see an enemy plane diving on you, you can easily go into the nose down turn, rather than be stuck in the air going straight up. The move takes a lot of timing and E control but if you work it correctly you can generally get most planes to follow you. The key is being able to convince them that they can make a shot on you ( though they miss every time because it is a tough shot to make). While they are losing all their E trying to spiral climb with you they are also losing more E than you because they are trying to lead you for the shot.
           How to perform one. First you have to judge a persons E, any plane that is screaming with speed is probably gonna climb right up with you and make the shot. You typically want a plane that is going about 50mph or less to engage you. So you have a bit of E and you see someone d800-1000 who is slowly falling further back it works a lot better if they are below you too. You can pull up in and angle (spiral) right or left ( do not go nose head on, but you can nose down before you merge to get a bit of extra E) and try to get him to make a nose up sideways angle lead shot on you ( you want them to go for the shot), you need to be about 400,600 ( but closer is better) away so he doesn't actually get you. If he pulls into you and goes for the shot, He will be pulling up more vertical than you trying for lead shot, keep spiraling around going up and try to squeeze a tad more in the spiral as you go up (ie, the spiral you do gets tighter and tighter to get them to go more vertical and make the lead shot even harder to make. If you do it right, he wont be able to make the lead or have a shot anymore after the 3rd/4th spiral. You continue to spiral around (in the same direction) Judge yours and their E so you know when you need to make spiral tighter. For example If the enemy is a 190A-5 the tighter you make the spiral the more and more he will stall considerably pulling up and turning. You will see him lose all E straight vertical (while you are still in spiral climb). You can use flaps too if you need the extra lift to hold on a bit longer. Once he is frozen, all you have to do is roll over, use some rudder, and stall handling and make the shot for the easy kill or to gain their 6. It's a great move to catch people on, because at first they think they can get the shot, but it is a trap and once they fall for it it is very difficult to get out because you having more E and can roll right around on them at any time. I would not advise performing this move on a ki43, spit16, or even a ki84 because they have a great vert characteristics.

The spiral Dive
So if you are flying a Ki84 at 10k (which is the max alt you should ever fly it) and you want to dive down on an enemy who is 2k how do you do this without your controls freezing? The spiral dive also works great for Jabo over an enemy base as well. It is very simple but incredibly important for setting up attacks in planes that do not dive well. The key is to try and get right over the top of an enemy plane. So say you are 10k and they are 2k. Instead of diving diagonal, get right over the top of them and do a downward spiral cork screw, u will generally need to cut some throttle as well (especially in a ki84). Many players are checking their 6 and not their "look up" view they expect the diagonal dive attack. So if you spiral dive right on top of them, they may not even see you (till it's too late). The spiral climb will keep you slow enough so you don't lawn dart while also giving you enough speed to go for a rope or to get away. It helps with Jabo tremendously to get a precise drop on a target. Also, it allows you to choose other targets, so say you are spiral diving on the 2k plane and you see another plane (going in the opposite direction) that you would rather attack (who is lower than you) then you can easily change your targets. If you are diagonally diving on a enemy, you cant very easily make a quick change and dive on someone else going in the opposite direction. Once you get about 2k above them, you can then go break the spiral and do a straight dive on the target.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:43:02 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
One thing I have noticed lately is that it is tough for players (beginners, intermediate) to learn new ACM and become better fighter pilots in a game that is tough as nails to learn. I will do my best to write out specific maneuvers and tips that can increase fighting performance and make for easier kills and more landing opportunities in any fighter plane.

1. Always avoid the HO
              You always hear people talking about Head On shooting (HO). There are ways you can practically always avoid the HO. I haven't been shot from a HO in ages, and I definitely do not try to get kills by HO shooting either. Based on my experience you die 50% of the time or you get parts missing, oil leaks, ect, about 80% of the time. Also, believe it or not, avoiding the HO sets you up for a better tactic (typically emmil) to perform on the enemy plane who tried to HO you.

3. Learn to do Emmilmans (loops) and not flat turns

I got to ask, just what is an emmil or a Emmilmans, are you trying to say "Immelmann"  is that what you mean?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
I got to ask, just what is an emmil or a Emmilmans, are you trying to say "Immelmann"  is that what you mean?

Yes haha!!! I meant immulmann, for some gosh darn reason I thought it started with an E. I even looked on google for emmulman but got no search results so I just went with it.  :bhead
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
think people should stop posting with "great thread" or something like that or pretty sure it's gonna be a drag to go thru 20 pages of nothing but "good write up". with only  4 or 5 postings that should be read.  which will defeat the purpose of this thread.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
think people should stop posting with "great thread" or something like that or pretty sure it's gonna be a drag to go thru 20 pages of nothing but "good write up". with only  4 or 5 postings that should be read.  which will defeat the purpose of this thread.

semp

Great suggestion Sempster!  :aok

Oh....great thread BTW!

:D

:bolt:

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
the only thing wrong in this is the 10K limit for the KI84....

she will work fine all the way up, once you get past 20 K just takes more throttle work....the true speed is much higher up there so it needs to be paid attention to a lot more then 10K....

I had someone who thought the 47 was a match for the ki84 we went to the DA and fought at all ALTS up to 25K and the ki ate up that 47 at all alts...it just took a little bit longer once we got up over 20K...by a little bit I mean 1 or 2 merges....

everything else is dead on.....the KI84 loves the vert and the spiral rope is one of my favorites  :t

also wanna add if you are climbing in the Ki84 and stall out and start to float backwards...there is only one thing that will get you out of it....kill the engine.

also seeings how so many people in the MA HO like its a give away...if you get sick of it and are in the KI84 HO them right back...most think the KI because it is Japanese, is weak like the zeros and 43.....that is far from the truth...the Ki84 is one of the toughest ships in the hanger and can easily handle a few 20 mm....especially against spits which are fragile compared....now dont be HOing a mossie or a 38...or another HO machine(they are easy to avoid and planes like those dont stand a chance in a TnB fight so avoid the HO from those)....but don't be afraid of the KI84 being fragile it is the opposite of that.

:salute 

Offline Zed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
To add.

This single thing more than anything else has helped me to improve (somewhat).   I also improved when I started to use flaps at the top of loops and when I learned to stop pulling on the stick when turning flaps out.   I just let the flaps tighten the turns by themselves and lower more flaps as speed decreases. It's amazing how not pulling but relying on the flaps improves stability in tight turns.  I learned that from one of the trainers on this board.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Could someone maybe explain situations in which one might use flaps and when not to?  I'm learning more from this one thread than I did actually trying to fly...
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »
I like to use flaps in my 109s when I'm in a nose up position during a slow turning fight. The powerful engine along with the flaps allows you to get above your opponent and then you can use the engine torque to roll over the top and drop onto their six.

Not every plane is a good flap fighter. I know the spits become rather unstable when using flaps at low speeds and tend to go into flat spins. It takes a skilled hand to control a spit with flaps whereas something like a 109 is more difficult to put into an uncontrolled stall.