Author Topic: Bombers have no effect on the war? (The real one)  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Bombers have no effect on the war? (The real one)
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
By today's standards it was also a crime against humanity.

So is the uniform in your avatar.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »
It's a costume.... He's an actor.

However, your point is taken; I do consider the Waffen-SS to be in the same league as RAF Bomber Command and USAAF/USAF in the crime against humanity department.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:55:20 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
It's a costume.... He's an actor.

However, your point is taken; I do consider the Waffen-SS to be in the same league as RAF Bomber Command and USAAF/USAF in the crime against humanity department.

No doubt you do.

I believe the tone of WWII bombing campaigns was forged in Warsaw Rotterdamn London and Coventry.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:30:02 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 01:28:46 AM »
They would not have surrendered because of strategic bombers and no amount of fantasy can give "strategic bombing" credit for winning a war because they dropped the A bomb.

Since when is dropping an A bomb not strategic bombing?  That was my point -- that no amount of anything else would have averted a large bloodbath at the end.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2014, 01:38:21 AM »
One thing that people have been ignoring was the Goring was a complete idiot when it came to tactics.  Also Hitler was not the brightest tacticsion either.    Another fault of the German industrial area was perfection in there military equipment. If they would have been able to build rough battle equipment like the t-34 it would have been better.   If Hitler would have not focused so much on jet power bombers the 262 could have seen squadron strength a year earlier.  

Again complete gibberish :old:

The German people were 100% behind THEIR government :old:

The fact that ALL the German people from the factory worker up to the likes of Albert Spear were
working for a German speaking empire was why military incompetence was prevalent.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2014, 01:44:11 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqN_Pd58MFw

Well that looks like an awful lot of moving trains in 1945 and I am quite sure there were lots more.

Destroyed rail road marshalling depots do stop trains from moving.  Bombing key rail road bridges and transfer stations do stop trains from moving and the supplies and soldiers they carry.

They stop them at THOSE locations only. Bombers weren't destroying miles of rail systems. They were destroying a rail yard that might be a one mile square.

Any materials they destroyed was pure luck and damage to tracks was a very temporary interruption.

Bombers didn't hit rail yards to kill trains or material, they blew up a flat piece of ground with a few sticks of steel and lumber. It is not a difficult task to repair a damaged rail line. Even a couple miles of destroyed track, which btw would have been a miraculous success for high alt bombers.

Marshaling yards are large turn around/switching networks. Losing them is an inconvenience, not a show stopper. Trains could be re-routed. All construction units have to do is repair ONE SINGLE LINE through a damaged yard, a job that could take less than a day, and the train continues on to another station or they just unload where they stopped. After all, those yards we are talking about were already trucking distance from German troops.

It can be a large time consuming task to rebuild a bridge. Fighter bombers destroyed bridges, saboteurs destroyed bridges and blew up trains. Heavy bombers probably rarely if ever destroyed a bridge.

All these reports about "bombing effects" getting tossed around in this debate ...could never in a million years, be so meticulous as to be able to precisely differentiate the results of fighter attacks on rail transportation, resistance saboteurs, and heavy bombers...  no expert in the world can say with any certainty which attacks had x/amount of effect.

I can guarantee that reports by Bomber Command about the effect their attacks had on the transportation system conveniently failed consider all, if any of the disruptions by fighter bombers and resistance groups.

USAAF generals in the PTO argued against the invasion of Japan because by the summer of 1945, virtually all of Japan's strategic targets were destroyed and were virtually out of strategic targets to bomb. LeMay was opposed to the invasion for this reason and believed that Japan would surrender by November due to the US bombing of Japan and Japanese strategic targets throughout the Pacific.

I'm not sure what targets you are referring to. Japan was cut off at the end of the war because the Navy, Army and Marines had Japan surrounded. Strategic bombing of the main island was incidental and completely unnecessary considering the A bomb was almost finished. We could have ordered our troops to stand down except to blockade the Island until the A bomb was dropped. We could have starved them into submission without hitting a single target in Japan if we really had to.

Japan was beat and virtually helpless.

Maybe you are including the use of any heavy bombers in the island hopping as "strategic bombing." While it may have fit a strict definition of strategic bombing at times, use of heavy bombers in the PTO was nothing like what high command was doing in the ETO.

From what I have seen, the vast majority of heavy bomber use in the pacific was tactical in nature. They were smaller scale attacks, the populations in the PTO were occupied and generally friendly, whatever effect bombers had in the island campaigns was local in nature, their targets were not typical of ETO strategic targets like material sources, production centers or enemy populations. And if I'm not mistaken, the overwhelming majority of their targets were military or shipping. None of which fits the ideal strategic campaign of the ETO.

US Strategic Bombing Survey of 1946 concluded that Japan would have surrendered by November 1st due to the US strategic bombing without having to resort to an invasion.

Ah yes, another report by Strategic Bomber Command. And from right after the war too. That wouldn't be at all biased would it.

I've seen several historians say that neither Germany nor Japan would have surrendered because of bombing. So perhaps that survey was based on the fact that Japan now had no way to fish commercially which was their primary meat source and no safe supply route in or out of their country.

'The enemy has struck us at one of our weakest points. If they persist at it this time, we will soon no longer have any fuel production worth mentioning'." (May 19th, 1944)

After the Normandy landings, Speer sent another message to Hitler about the attacks on the synthetic fuel plants.

"... the allies staged a new series of attacks which put many fuel plants out of action. On June 22, nine-tenths of the production of airplane fuel was knocked out." (June 24th, 1944)

Look at the dates of those statements. How far into Europe were the allies at that point?  Close enough to use strike fighters to hit those fields?

A month later, Speer appealed to Hitler to increase fighter defenses over the synthetic fuel plants.

"I implored Hitler ... to reserve a significantly larger part of the fighter plane production ... to protecting the home hydrogenation plants ...." (July 28th, 1944)

And in these quotes you can again see the writing on the wall. fighters were a determining factor for both sides.

When Allied heavy bombers were finally able to reach targets deep into eastern Germany and hit the synthetic fuel production plants, Speer sent this message to Hitler after the Politz plant (70% destroyed) was bombed by US B-17s and B-24s.

I'm not saying the strikes on oil plants was a waste of time. It was the smartest part of the strategic bombing campaign. But it didn't happen soon enough, it most likely could have been done better with less loss and it didn't win the war.

The Battle of the Ruhr was a 5 month strategic bombing campaign of the Ruhr Valley, Germany's industrial heart.  In Adam Tooze study of the German war economy, he found British and US bomber raids had severely disrupted German production.  Steel production had fallen by 200k tons, the armaments industry was left with a steel shortfall of 400k tons.  After doubling production in 1942, steel production only increased by 20% in 1943.  

Adam Tooze wanted to validate strategic bombing and even he said "they often chose the wrong targets."

Historians emphatically agree that prior to 1944 the strategic bombing campaign was a complete failure. Whatever minor successes you can point to mean nothing in the overall picture. Germany won many battles, in the end you can't call them successful for it.

After doubling production in 1942, steel production only increased by 20% in 1943.  This caused Speer to cut planned increases in production and the bombings also caused a critical shortage in sub-components.  The increase of Luftwaffe aircraft production also came to a halt.  Monthly production failed to increase between 7/43 and 3/44.  According to Tooze, British and US bombers stopped "Speer's armaments miracle in its tracks".  Krupps Works was so severly damaged that Krupps never restarted locomotive production after the raids in March and April of 1943.

You know as well as I do Germany produced more aircraft at the end of the war than they did in the beginning. So obviously this shortage wasn't that detrimental. If they had produced as many fighter pilots, then we would have been in trouble.

The strategic bombing campaign was born in a belief that a country could win a war with bombers alone. RAF Air Marshal Harris was called "obsessed" with his version of strategic bombing and almost lost his command over it. He wanted so bad to prove the strategic bombing could win a war, he was blinded to any rational alternatives in spite of the cost.

It was mistaken concept that was poorly thought out and executed. The tons of materials and thousands of men wasted because of it could have had better effect in an overwhelming fighter force that provided tactical air support and precision strikes against whatever targets it could reach.

A small heavy bomber force defended with an almost excessive use of fighters could have done what little fighter bombers couldn't do.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »
double post
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:10:43 AM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 02:03:33 AM »
I do consider the Waffen-SS to be in the same league as RAF Bomber Command and USAAF/USAF in the crime against humanity department.

Not all Waffen SS were involved in the concentration camps, but for the ones that were, you don't see a difference between murdering your own helpless citizens and attacking an enemy?

I think that, in a war where one nation, supported by its citizenry, is trying to conquer or exterminate your nation -- in a war to the death between nations -- you don't popsiclefoot around.  You attack the enemy with what you can until it's defeated as quickly as possible.  Second is that I think it's easy for people today, who weren't there, who are sitting in comfort and have no worries for their safety, and who have perfect after-the-fact knowledge of how everything worked out to say that people back then should have held back this or that.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 02:09:08 AM »
Since when is dropping an A bomb not strategic bombing?  That was my point -- that no amount of anything else would have averted a large bloodbath at the end.

Since always. I have never seen them referred to as strategic strikes in any materials I have ever seen.

It wasn't considered strategic bombing before the A bomb because they didn't exist.

No one at the time of those 2<---- count them, occurrences could have possibly been thinking this is just another day at strategic bomber command.

They were super-weapons the world had never seen before and they were unique unto themselves and cannot possibly be put in to the same category as strategic bombing of that time.

I fully understand what you were suggesting, but you don't get to give strategic bombing credit for winning the war just because they happened to deliver "that package." Too many people gave their lives to put those bombers on Japans doorstep.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 02:10:04 AM »
 double post

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
Muzik, I believe that bombers dropping A bombs on cities does come under the definition of strategic bombing.

I completely agree that a lot went into the Pacific war to get things to that point -- horribly difficult battles to take islands to get B-29's in range, amazingly courageous and dangerous submarine action that cut off supplies, great battles to defeat a powerful enemy navy, and so on.  A bombs were not the only thing of significance.

I also agree that the US would have won without the A bombs, but the A bombs significantly reduced the end conflict.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2014, 04:22:56 AM »
I also agree that the US would have won without the A bombs, but the A bombs significantly reduced the end conflict.
Yes, but would the A-bombs end the war if their power was demonstrated on something other than the most densely populated cities that were selected to yield the highest casualties number?

Don't get me wrong, I do not yell war crimes at the carpet bombing in an all out war against the kind of evil normally found in comic books rather than in the real world. I do question the wisdom of it and whether the carnage of civilian populations was really needed.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
Not all Waffen SS were involved in the concentration camps, but for the ones that were, you don't see a difference between murdering your own helpless citizens and attacking an enemy?

Very few were involved with the death camps. Those were mostly SS-Totenkopfverbände and Allgemeine-SS and is in a completely different league only matched in cruelty by the Soviet NKVD. I was considering the atrocities committed by Waffen-SS against the civilian populations on the Eastern Front. Mostly anti-partisan reprisals and the like. Whether you're burned to death inside your home by German flame throwers or burned to death inside your home by British firebombs makes little difference to the victims, no?

I think that, in a war where one nation, supported by its citizenry, is trying to conquer or exterminate your nation -- in a war to the death between nations -- you don't popsiclefoot around.  You attack the enemy with what you can until it's defeated as quickly as possible.  Second is that I think it's easy for people today, who weren't there, who are sitting in comfort and have no worries for their safety, and who have perfect after-the-fact knowledge of how everything worked out to say that people back then should have held back this or that.

Indeed. I'm not saying anyone should have held back. Adhering to rules in warfare is silly in my opinion. I was only pointing out that today the actions of the RAF and USAAF/USAF would have been considered crimes against humanity. Shifty added the Waffen-SS to the list, although I though it was generally agreed upon that they committed war crimes...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:52:50 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Yes, but would the A-bombs end the war if their power was demonstrated on something other than the most densely populated cities that were selected to yield the highest casualties number?

Don't get me wrong, I do not yell war crimes at the carpet bombing in an all out war against the kind of evil normally found in comic books rather than in the real world. I do question the wisdom of it and whether the carnage of civilian populations was really needed.
horrible yes. Nessary probably.     It is kinda like the moral question;  if you are working the switches at a rail yard and a loaded car breaks off of train and comes rolling down the line. There is five guys working down the line that there is no way to warn. Your only option of just letting the car go is a spur that you can turn it down.   At the end of that spur is a man working. Your choice is wether you turn down the spur Nd kill one man or let it go and kill ifve men. The choice is yours.         A bombs I believe were war crimes. But are you going to try the president over that.  The side that wins isn't tried.    As far as Germany goes most cilvians killed were not innocent do to the fact that they were working in the war industry.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
Whether you're burned to death inside your home by German flame throwers or burned to death inside your home by British firebombs makes little difference to the victims, no?

It depends.  If you are part of a citizenry that voted in a regime and supported its conquests then you probably have in mind that your city (in the days of WWII weaponry) might get bombed as a consequence of your nation's activities, whereas if you are a passive dweller in a conquered country, you probably have in mind that that it's not just for you to be rounded up and killed.

Indeed. I'm not saying anyone should have held back. Adhering to rules in warfare is silly in my opinion. I was only pointing out that today the actions of the RAF and USAAF/USAF would have been considered crimes against humanity.

"I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal. Fortunately we were on the winning side. Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier." -- Curtis LeMay