Author Topic: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
We don't know crap.  The most intelligent scientists of their time thought the Sun orbited the earth, the world was flat
and Columbus was first to discover America.

We are arrogant, we assume we know all.  Hint:  we are far from knowing about a lot of things.

As a whole....we've got a lot to learn.

At the time things did happen, we weren't there and have no conclusive proof on how the Pyramids were built,
Stonehenge etc.  Get a grip and come back to earth.  A lot we say we know is based on theory, no tangible proof.

Keep an open mind and deal with facts alone.  We'll learn more.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
We don't know crap.  The most intelligent scientists of their time thought the Sun orbited the earth, the world was flat

We are arrogant, we assume we know all.  Hint:  we are far from knowing about a lot of things.

At the time things did happen, we weren't there and have no conclusive proof on how the Pyramids were built,
Stonehenge etc.  Get a grip and come back to earth.  A lot we say we know is based on theory, no tangible proof.

Enlightening, thanks.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
You've been watching too much Bugs Bunny. The earth was known to be rounds since ancient times. In fact the earth's circumference was first calculated correctly around 200 BC.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »
was that before or after they decided you would fall off the edge if you went too far out to sea?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
A lot we say we know is based on theory, no tangible proof.

Right there is your problem, you don't know what a scientific theory is.

Also, who is we?
Pies not kicks.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
Supernatural?

Gibberish

As someone said "There are no ghosts in the ghetto"

I saw a three legged dog once :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Right there is your problem, you don't know what a scientific theory is.
it's a guess posed by someone with .phd tacked onto their name...that is all. the only thing that makes them correct is "scientific consensus" until someone else comes along to show they are erroneous.
jarhed  

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
The better we understand our universe, the better; I hold knowledge to be intrinsically good. Even if the current theories are not perfect, they much better than nothing, as they at least partially explain how our universe works. And they are magnitudes better than made up stories.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
it's a guess posed by someone with .phd tacked onto their name...that is all. the only thing that makes them correct is "scientific consensus" until someone else comes along to show they are erroneous.

That is simply not true. Even so you have placed your finger on the reason creationism is not science. In your words no one can ever come along and show that it is erroneous as it is founded on the premise that the bible is literal  and correct. It's explanation of the natural world is fixed and unchanging, it is not falsifiable, that is why it isn't science.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

Seemed fitting regarding some of the replies.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
And they are magnitudes better than made up stories.
you mean like percival lowell's story about mars being inhabited, which was accepted as "unassailable" in 1907?

That is simply not true. Even so you have placed your finger on the reason creationism is not science. In your words no one can ever come along and show that it is erroneous as it is founded on the premise that the bible is literal  and correct. It's explanation of the natural world is fixed and unchanging, it is not falsifiable, that is why it isn't science.
you must have me mistaken for one of the "ignorant faithful". not even close, but i also don't believe the story about the fish whose descendants miraculously survived multiple extinction events and eventually built civilization as we know it.
jarhed  

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Let the religion bashing begin!
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
Let the religion bashing begin!
Who is bashing religion? All I'm saying is creationism isn't science. That is all.
Pies not kicks.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

you must have me mistaken for one of the "ignorant faithful". not even close, but i also don't believe the story about the fish whose descendants miraculously survived multiple extinction events and eventually built civilization as we know it.

What did I say that makes you think that I think you are one of the ignorant faithful? I don't know what that means. You are entitled to believe what ever you want. I am only saying that creationism does not follow principals of scientific inquiry so it isn't science.
Pies not kicks.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »

You are wrong about Columbus.  There was an entire community of Portugese sailors and navigators who thought the World was round.  They even had globes that depicted that areas that had so far been charted.  This is where Columbus got many of his ideas and motivations.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.