Author Topic: Can't Hit a Barn  (Read 2226 times)

Offline wgbergman

• Zinc Member
Can't Hit a Barn
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
I am having serious gunnery issues.  My last flight I was in a P51b 200 behind a 109 in pretty much straight and level flight.  He was moving around some but nothing crazy.  I ran out of ammo and only hit him a couple of times.  I had the sight on him, a little over him, a little under him, to both sides.   I don't understand how I could be that bad. 

Could network lag be the issue?  Any suggestions

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Can't Hit a Barn
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
1. Make sure v-sync is enabled.

2. Set your convergence to 400 or less, unless you are using the 30mm mounted 109 (set it closer).

3. Try and unload before firing. The lower the velocity of the projectile, the less likely you can easily land hits with a high G load.

4. If the above fails, work offline shooting the drones until you can "one pass" the drones from any angle. Do this twice a day for 20 minutes for 2-3 weeks and you'll be shooting better in no time.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
Gunnery is hard..  It takes a lot of practice.

1.  I would go to the TA and work with the lead computing gun sight there. Just hit ctrl + tab, then hit tab while a friendly is in your pipper and it should show you where to aim.  Just make sure you ask before shooting at someone.

2.  Work on shooting down drones offline, from all different angles (To practice what you learn from the TA).

3.  Check out this thread..  Download and read the actual WWII training manuals Bustr has shared.  I learned a LOT.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,358734.0.html

<S>

Edit:  Delirium's advice is gold.  Practice practice practice.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:17:24 PM by Rogue9Volt »
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline wgbergman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
I would also say turn recording to "on" by default, and if you continue to have problems, post the film up here, it's easy to do, and there are dozens of expert players that can look at your film and in an instant tell you what you're doing wrong.  That, or help you diagnose any hardware/settings issues that show up in your films.

Offline wgbergman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Thanks Gman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
I find the most important thing in shooting is good precise rudder control. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »
Until you work out your gunnery issues. Fly a P51D or something with more MG or cannons giving you more forgiveness on your aiming.

If it is an internet issue check your varyence and delay\host queue time in the network selection from the right click dropdown off the clipboard map. Are your lines flat or all over the place? What is your FPS? Do you turn off as many services as you can before starting the game?

Recently I made a surprising accidental discovery about micro warps I thought were Internet related. Considering what I do for a living, Douh!!!!! When I brought home my new HD TV\PC Monitor, I simply pulled the plug on the old one and plugged that into the new one with a VGA adaptor. The last 6 months I had to turn down all the graphics bells and whistels to get a sold 60 FPS. I also got lots of micro warps when cons were doing rapid jinking around like you wasted ammo on. And I wasted a lot of ammo too.

My video card is optimized to support 1080P TVs. Last weekend I was fixing a cable feed issue with my big screen and discovered I had placed an HDMI cable away and forgotten about it. So I hooked it up in place of the VGA to my game HD TV. So now my OS shows I'm running 1080P 32 bit color, and the color and vibrancy is totally different than under VGA  1920x1080 32 bit color. And in the game I was able to turn on some graphics goodies that make the game look incredible while keeping a 60 FPS. I can see dots out past 6000yds and aluminum skinned aircraft reflecting light maybe to 10,000yds.

So I started noticing when I was saddled up on cons and they started the usual flopping around micro maneuvers, they were not micro warping. I was seeing small direction changes, tiny rolls, and other rapid direction movements as distinct motions. And then for the first time, I blew them out of the air.

So what I used to perceive as Internet lag micro warping from my cons, was probably processing congestion delay due to VGA. And the micro warping was my PC attempting to get my game client up to the current time pointer.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wgbergman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
Until you work out your gunnery issues. Fly a P51D or something with more MG or cannons giving you more forgiveness on your aiming.

If it is an internet issue check your varyence and delay\host queue time in the network selection from the right click dropdown off the clipboard map. Are your lines flat or all over the place? What is your FPS? Do you turn off as many services as you can before starting the game?

Here is a screen shot of my variance and delay/host readings.  In addition my frame rate was 43.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:32:42 PM by wgbergman »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
a dead 6 shot is about the hardest there is also :old:

but don't feel bad I could be inside the barn and miss it....

I dropped on a AFK con...missed with all my rounds and ran right smack into him, killing myself....

on more then one occasion.... :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »

but don't feel bad I could be inside the barn and miss it....

I dropped on a AFK con...missed with all my rounds and ran right smack into him, killing myself....

on more then one occasion.... :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I absolutely hate dead six shots too.  Esp with the 30mm.  The safest thing for a bandit to do if I'm flying a K4 is to fly straight and level dead away from me.  I've blown all 65 rounds on a guy doing that on more than one occasion.

wgbergman, the advice in here is dead on.  Practice is the key.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I feel makes a big difference is, when you go to fire, pick a spot on the enemy aircraft that you're aiming for.  Say, for example, the cockpit.  It focuses your attention on making smaller corrections, and even if you don't hit the exact spot you're aiming, you'll have a tendency to miss by less than if you're just aiming to hit somewhere on the airframe.  I don't exactly understand why it works, but it really does at least for me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
I absolutely hate dead six shots too.  Esp with the 30mm.  The safest thing for a bandit to do if I'm flying a K4 is to fly straight and level dead away from me.  I've blown all 65 rounds on a guy doing that on more than one occasion.

wgbergman, the advice in here is dead on.  Practice is the key.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I feel makes a big difference is, when you go to fire, pick a spot on the enemy aircraft that you're aiming for.  Say, for example, the cockpit.  It focuses your attention on making smaller corrections, and even if you don't hit the exact spot you're aiming, you'll have a tendency to miss by less than if you're just aiming to hit somewhere on the airframe.  I don't exactly understand why it works, but it really does at least for me.

Wiley.

aim small miss small......I always aim for the pilots head.

its strange most days I cant hit for crap....watching my films it seems I am always late firing...as my rounds fall behind the nme....

and then there are days...it seems like I cant miss....I have had sorties where the first 5 cons I engaged died within a turn or 2....

those days are rare... :(

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »

I absolutely hate dead six shots too. 

Wiley.

Pilots were taught to approach the bandit's tail at a slight angle, giving the pilot more of an area to shoot at instead of coming straight up the bandit's arse.  Makes tail shots a lot easier.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »

aim small miss small......I always aim for the pilots head.

its strange most days I cant hit for crap....watching my films it seems I am always late firing...as my rounds fall behind the nme....

and then there are days...it seems like I cant miss....I have had sorties where the first 5 cons I engaged died within a turn or 2....

those days are rare... :(

The first thing I tell myself if I'm having a bad gunnery day is "Double your lead".  That quite often improves things.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11