Author Topic: Warping Drones  (Read 1098 times)

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
Warping Drones
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
Last night I was attacking a set of very high very fast bombers. It struck me after several passes that the pilot of the bombers may have been deliberately turning tight to sling his drones out of formation so they would repeatedly warp on their way back into formation with the lead. I also observed one convenient warp on the lead's part too, but I didn't film it and I have insufficient evidence to say anything other then a networking glitch (leaving open what caused the glitch) threw off my attack.

Needless to say drone warping is a serious problem for an attacker. Destroying an attack run but still being exposed to defensive gunner fire is bad. Drones warping into your plane and causing you to collide is intolerable. This includes the warp that occurs when the lead plane is destroyed and the pilot takes command of a drone.

If the pilot was intentionally using drone warping as a defense then that is just gaming the game and shouldn't be tolerated. I wish that HiTech would take a look at the drone code to make them always fly like airplanes rather then warp capable starships. In addition it would be good if instead of warping the drones when the lead is destroyed something similar to the disco code could be used so the drone is flown over to the pilot's location (or vice-versa) then the pilot re-takes command.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Warping Drones
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
I dont know what you mean by "warping" but violently maneuvering your Bomber and drones is a perfectly acceptable way to help defend yourself.

All the years Ive been here your the only one Ive ever seen whine about it.
intolerable
:lol
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
I dont know what you mean by "warping"

He means exactly that ... drones are warping all through the sky, jumping repeatedly from spot to spot. It's induced by high speed maneuvers. The drone you are aiming at will just jump out of your gunsight, or may even randomly 'collide' with you.
The bomber pilot himself can not see this behaviour, it's all created on the other players FE.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
I dont know what you mean by "warping" but violently maneuvering your Bomber and drones is a perfectly acceptable way to help defend yourself.

All the years Ive been here your the only one Ive ever seen whine about it. ?  :lol

If a bomber is separated a fair distance from the drones, sometimes on their way back to formation they warp.  I generally see them warp a few plane lengths at a time when it happens.  When you shoot down the lead, the plane the pilot gets switched to quite often warps as well.  When you're in close this can be very annoying and cause collisions.

My solution for avoiding the second situation is to attack the right one, then the left one, then the remaining one if I'm concerned about it.  This way, the pilot doesn't get switched to other planes, and also the drones don't shift positions in the formation resulting in warping.

Slight histrionics on the part of the OP, but if they could make the drones behave better in this regard, I'd be all for it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »

He means exactly that ... drones are warping all through the sky, jumping repeatedly from spot to spot. It's induced by high speed maneuvers. The drone you are aiming at will just jump out of your gunsight, or may even randomly 'collide' with you.
The bomber pilot himself can not see this behaviour, it's all created on the other players FE.

And it SUCKS!  I generally don't attack bombers, because I am terrible at attacking bombers.  It's not only in high speed maneuvers; it also occurs if you turn too sharply for your drones to keep up with you.  I, too, have fallen victim to the warping drone syndrome.   :bhead  :cry

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
And it SUCKS!  I generally don't attack bombers, because I am terrible at attacking bombers.  It's not only in high speed maneuvers; it also occurs if you turn too sharply for your drones to keep up with you.  I, too, have fallen victim to the warping drone syndrome.   :bhead  :cry

#S#

Josh

I only attack bombers if Banshee has softened them up first. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
I only attack bombers if Banshee has softened them up first. :D

Or when they're already focused and engaged on me  :bhead  It's a fair trade-off.  I make great bomber bait, you make great fighter bait  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
I believe there is another way a bomber pilot can warp his AI wingmen.  I do not fly bombers so I can't say for sure. But, I know bomber pilots can fly their planes from outside using F3 while in flight, which I think should be disabled, and using scripted commands can maneuver their AI wingmen through different formations at some distance.  I personally came upon 2 bombers flying at 3k or so AGL and began to attack, they warped away, then I noticed the lead plane flying NOE and maneuvering his AI wingmen around as decoys.  I don't know what the distance limit is for AI wingmen but I have seen them many K away from the leader.  
NT
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:33:14 AM by ntrudr »

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
drones warp... drones disappear magically or get beamed from 1k behind of the lead plane directly to the formation position..... get used to it..
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »
But, I know bomber pilots can fly their planes from outside using F3 while in flight, which I think should be disabled, and using scripted commands can maneuver their AI wingmen through different formations at some distance.

:huh

I don't believe it works that way in any capacity.  They react to your maneuvering, that's about it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
drones warp... drones disappear magically or get beamed from 1k behind of the lead plane directly to the formation position..... get used to it..

Fighters warp... fighters magically get beamed from 2k at your 9 to 200 yds dead astern, cannons thumbing away, and your bomber explodes raining pixel debris all over your screen... still want to get used to it???
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Or when they're already focused and engaged on me  :bhead  It's a fair trade-off.  I make great bomber bait, you make great fighter bait  :D

DOH!  Touche....  Them red guys love me alot or I just can't stay out of trouble. :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
... violently maneuvering your Bomber and drones is a perfectly acceptable way to help defend yourself.

I'm use to bombers turning to throw off an attack run or delay your pulling in front of them. What made me suspicious about the maneuvers the B29 formation did last night was the timing and direction was not consistent with achieving either of those goals. So it appeared to me the only advantage he gained by the maneuver was to deliberately sling out his drones, losing effective defensive fire from them, so they would have to warp back to him.

...Slight histrionics on the part of the OP...
Yep, I'm well known for being too emotional and dramatic.
The above should paint a clearer picture of why I decided to post after thinking about it for awhile. At the same time I guess it also illustrates that my OP was somewhat lacking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:35:49 AM by doright »

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
Ok, so you go in, get their attention and soften them up. I'll finish them off for you.

Hear it all the time on squad channel.  :neener:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:10:25 AM by doright »