Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7164 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
The 'mechanics' of the game are really the same (other than improvements made along the way). HTC keeps a finger on the pulse of it's player base for that very reason. This isn't a division of Microsoft. If players are quitting for reasons other than financial burden or death, they're probably not that hardcore. If they're quitting because of numbers they're admitting they are part of that problem.

Correct, the game mechanics are the same, if not better with the addition of the ground element it's how the player base uses those things.

I've not played for about two years now i reckon. For me it was mechanics of the game becoming less and less "fun".  Sure i was a land grabber and the game was heading away from that, but the problem with making it harder to land grab was, instead of thinking smart about attacks, it just ended in MASS hordes which isnt fun.

Back in 2003-2008 a group of 5-10 of you could easily take a base or create a nice little battle before it fizzled out, but in 2012 it was 30 fighters 10 carpet bombers and 5 goons, and as soon as a few people upped everyone gave up.

If i wanted a quake style flight sim i would play IL2 or whatever it is these days, but i wanted a "war" simulator, something AH become less and less of.

Meh im not important anymore as i dont play it...

What changed? The player base. We all admit the game is the same, if not better with all the additions. The land grab became the ONLY thing for the majority of the players and so they have gone about and grabbed as many bases as quickly and easily as they could. They have searched out the best way to grab bases, and none of them involve fighting for them.

Up a large group, roll the base. If you capture it GREAT! if not, move off some place else and try again. While the minority chases them around try to get them to engage.

This gets the minority frustrated and they quit, and the majority get bored doing the same over and over so we lose more players faster than we bring in players. Add to that the "learning curve" and were do you see the game going?

You're looking too hard for arrogance in that statement, then. I've already mentioned that the graphics tweak some 'require' to play this game is in the works. I've suggested potential methods of commercial marketing (doesn't have to be TV ads - Minecraft has proven that). But the game is still currently sustainable and players taking the time to post in a forum about dwindling numbers that they liked the game won't play because of dwindling numbers (or 'game mechanics' or the graphics suddenly weren't good enough compared to other games,when it was just fine before) is .... ironic.

If this community want's Aces High around .... all THEY have to do .... is play.

Yes,we know Dale isn't immortal. We also know that this is more than a paycheck to him. He's part of this community too. He's hardcore.  :D

You quoted this part of Kazaa post...

"If the prophesied demise of Aces High is true... " and you said it was "Exaggeration" the comment has nothing to do with "helping" that is what I was posting to. Aces High will die...... some day. It's NOT an exaggeration.

Yes it would help if players "played" but if the game play has changed to the point that these people no longer like the game play why should they play? OverLag posted he liked playing war, but now that we have nothing but hordes it isn't fun any more. It's tough to play war when your being rolled by 30+ guys who don't fight.

So they stop playing..... and the numbers drop. Euro players look to log in and see 80 players. In an even split world that is less than 15 players fighting each other per front. Odds are more likely that 25+ guy hordes are avoiding each other trying to grab bases faster than the other hordes.... so they don't log in..... and the numbers drop.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
Takes numbers? Go figure.

and thats the problem, needing MASSIVE hordes which arent "fun" to fight against or fight IN.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
Anyone here play Il2 1946? I played it for a while and I have to say it was a great game.   Two reasons I abandoned it, framerate issues due to considerably better graphics, and the "online arenas" that you used to play in (using hyperlobby and teamspeak).. wasn't as simple and fullfilling as the Aces High arenas..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
the mechanics have changed massively over the years. These days (well 2012 for me) the games are pretty static, simply because unless you got a mass horde going on you couldnt take land/bases meaning you was stuck on the same map for the whole week.  Its almost like when i first started it was WWII and now its like WWI, all dug in and no progress possible.

Small crews can still take bases, it takes skill, something that is lacking in most of todays players. 2 guys in B24s, 5 guys in fighters and a couple goons with cover and a plan and you can grab a base. Todays missions are all about brute strength, no planning, no teamwork other than getting there at the same time. Why learn to dive bomb and hit in the 80% area when the three guys behind you are going for the same target. Even if you miss, one of two of those following you will get lucky and hit something before they lawndart into the ground.  :rolleyes:

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
the mechanics have changed massively over the years. These days (well 2012 for me) the games are pretty static, simply because unless you got a mass horde going on you couldnt take land/bases meaning you was stuck on the same map for the whole week.  Its almost like when i first started it was WWII and now its like WWI, all dug in and no progress possible.

Aces High...never tried to replicate WW2.

not even close.....

hence the spit VS spit....51 vs 51......

Anyone here play Il2 1946? I played it for a while and I have to say it was a great game.   Two reasons I abandoned it, framerate issues due to considerably better graphics, and the "online arenas" that you used to play in (using hyperlobby and teamspeak).. wasn't as simple and fullfilling as the Aces High arenas..

Nope no one here ever played Il2....

never heard of it....what is it :headscratch:

:rofl

I kill me sometimes

and that game suked arse. ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »
and thats the problem, needing MASSIVE hordes which arent "fun" to fight against or fight IN.

There's no 'need.' I still see 3-4 guys take a base ..... unless it's defended by 3-4 guys. Then ... ummm ... a fight ensues. I see people complaining that the maps are too big. Then again, when a horde actually forms somewhere on them there's other places where 3-4 guys may try to 'steal a base' (for the love of baseball terminology) ... 3-4 guys may up there .... and a fight ensues.

It's not the 'game' .... it's the player base.

I've got a potential answer. It doesn't involve new players as much as vets.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Aces High...never tried to replicate WW2.

not even close.....

hence the spit VS spit....51 vs 51......

Nope no one here ever played Il2....

never heard of it....what is it :headscratch:

:rofl

I kill me sometimes

and that game suked arse. ;)

So obviously you played it..  Hey your opinion.. I thought it was fun.. If it had Aces High's concept tho it would be..  dare i say a winner?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
About 150 players when I logged in as rook yesterday evening (CET) on a map with more than 200 airfields.

One CV fight in the north (less than half radar bars) and some action in tank town (low intensity fight), isolated one-man raids around the map.

Spoke on teamspeak with a squaddie, 2 more squaddies logged in to TS, they asked if it was the same !#¤%& map as the day before, they never logged in to game when I was there.

there was almost 300 when I logged in yesterday evening pacific time.  I was just too tired to play so I flew 2 sorties and went to sleep.  been working way too many hours.

tonight there's gonna be over 500 split in the ma and fso.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
So obviously you played it..  Hey your opinion.. I thought it was fun.. If it had Aces High's concept tho it would be..  dare i say a winner?

I don't look at it like that...

to me Aces High is the winner.....

far above all the rest. :salute

and yes...once I got a PC and found AH I got heavy into combat sims and got them all....played them all....deleted them all....except Aces High.... :D

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »
Hey I'm with you... you touched on what i think is the main thing... Aces High is the best of all... I already believe I stated that before.. but don't be too narrow minded or afraid to go out on a limb.. that can hurt the game too

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
Look at all the mofos who post in the forums who don't have a subscription to aces high. I bet half of them would be willing to pay to have access to the forums, and that's why HTC should restrict forum access to Aces High account holders.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2014, 04:12:31 AM »
Look at all the mofos who post in the forums who don't have a subscription to aces high. I bet half of them would be willing to pay to have access to the forums, and that's why HTC should restrict forum access to Aces High account holders.

While I noticed the same, I disagree. There are players who are inactive that still have positive things to contribute to the forum and are likely eager to return given whatever circumstance keeping them from playing abates or ceases entirely.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2014, 04:21:49 AM »
Another marketing promotion idea.

HTC surely must have a database containing email info on all inactive players. Have a 'Come back and see what you're missing' month when the new terrain rolls out. Give them an entire free month (specific start and end dates). HTC gives up a month of return account revenue and in return not only does the house get packed for a month, maybe it'll stay that way for a bit. If that works out there could be a promotion code for new players to double that free two weeks the following month (again, specific dates). After all, the learning curve is steep. Encourage vets to adopt new players by giving perks in exchange for films showing a vet taking at least 30 minutes or more to help a new player.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »
Update - 405 in main arena last night...

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
Update - 405 in main arena last night...
405 on peek hours means nothing, on a Friday night.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs