Author Topic: Logged in and saw this  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Logged in and saw this
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
Logging in with dar down sucks.  Dead HQ is the single most frustrating thing in the game to me.  You now have no reliable information on what the enema is doing.

"Up a C-47" is all well and good, but as others have stated, I'm not tremendously fond of Virtual Bus Driver, let alone Virtual FedEx Pilot.  Sorry guys, for some people, flying for 10 minutes to drop a crate is about as much fun as a proctological visit, and worse, you don't get a cookie and flowers afterwards.

For all of you who are saying they should just defend the HQ, get real.  People who actually defend in this game are a tiny minority.  The much more common reaction is to log and/or post on the BBS.

I've seen it happen on several occasions.  A couple or a few guys will spend the entire night launching mid to high alt buff raids in ones or twos that simply. will. not. stop. because the buff guys know the defenders will inevitably get bored and they'll be able to get through.  A large mission gets noticed and defense often occurs, but when it's just a trickle of bombers, not as many people get involved to stop them, and it really doesn't take that terribly many runs to take out the HQ.

Degrading the HQ affecting the map win parameters is an interesting idea.  Not sure what it would look like, but I like that a lot better than universally blinding the enemy.

The thing is, this wasn't caused by any issues with the HQ system.  The problem resulted when the players of that country failed in defending their HQ from attack and not resupplying it afterwards.  The problem were the players, the solution is also up to the players.

ack-ack

That's swell.  Now how do you go about changing the minds of the majority of the playerbase?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
The thing is, this wasn't caused by any issues with the HQ system.  The problem resulted when the players of that country failed in defending their HQ from attack and not resupplying it afterwards.  The problem were the players, the solution is also up to the players.

ack-ack

I don't think I'm impressed with the Caldera 'solution' so far but it's not like others haven't tried to apply it to lots of other personal pet peeves. Log, run to the forum and start a thread, pout, get defensive. I've yet to see that be productive in any way. *ShruG*

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
Logging in with dar down sucks.  Dead HQ is the single most frustrating thing in the game to me.  You now have no reliable information on what the enema is doing.

"Up a C-47" is all well and good, but as others have stated, I'm not tremendously fond of Virtual Bus Driver, let alone Virtual FedEx Pilot.  Sorry guys, for some people, flying for 10 minutes to drop a crate is about as much fun as a proctological visit, and worse, you don't get a cookie and flowers afterwards.

For all of you who are saying they should just defend the HQ, get real.  People who actually defend in this game are a tiny minority.  The much more common reaction is to log and/or post on the BBS.

I've seen it happen on several occasions.  A couple or a few guys will spend the entire night launching mid to high alt buff raids in ones or twos that simply. will. not. stop. because the buff guys know the defenders will inevitably get bored and they'll be able to get through.  A large mission gets noticed and defense often occurs, but when it's just a trickle of bombers, not as many people get involved to stop them, and it really doesn't take that terribly many runs to take out the HQ.

Degrading the HQ affecting the map win parameters is an interesting idea.  Not sure what it would look like, but I like that a lot better than universally blinding the enemy.

That's swell.  Now how do you go about changing the minds of the majority of the playerbase?

Wiley.

It's game design. There's the option of bombing out the enemy dar/HQ and leveling out the playing field or rebuilding our own (or both). There are players that like strategic bombing (and there has to be some sort of cause and effect to call it such). There aren't many ball-bearing plants to level.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
Read this again. This is how you play the game and encourage fights

That sounds suspiciously like a "play my way" post.  Can't wait to try that strategy out.

ack-ack

The attack was supposedly a mass B-29 raid.  The problem with defending is you need a very long sortie, using a choice few high alt planes (which is still no picnic against high 29s) or you can up at the last minute with 163s.  163s are even a little dicey at 35k because compression is a snap and you have to be experienced in it to maximize your fuel and small ammo clip.  I don't have a problem with the HQ being bombed, but with the consequences.

Nuke the HQ all day long, for all I care.  There has got to be a consequence that's better than making it tougher to find the bad guys.  Things like disabling all town ack, disabling perk planes, increasing perk plane cost, disabling base capture, adding downtimes to strats or even lowering the base count needed to reset the map.  Something that doesn't decrease the chance of combat.

I definitely would object if it was my chess piece doing it to the other chess piece, because then the pilots on the other chess piece would have little idea about where to come and fight. I also facepalm everytime someone on country says "Inbound to drop Fighter Hangars!!!"

As a noob, I dropped the HQ once or twice but after thinking about the results (especially when it happened to my side), it seemed the only purpose of it was to grief an entire country.  Dropping the fighter hangars is lame as can be.  Some people want to win so bad that they would rather eliminate the fight.

I don't think I'm impressed with the Caldera 'solution' so far but it's not like others haven't tried to apply it to lots of other personal pet peeves. Log, run to the forum and start a thread, pout, get defensive. I've yet to see that be productive in any way. *ShruG*

Another player who never had one bad thing to say about any facet of the game. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
For all of you who are saying they should just defend the HQ, get real.  People who actually defend in this game are a tiny minority.  The much more common reaction is to log and/or post on the BBS.

Wiley.

It's not us that need to 'get real', it's the players that don't want to take the time to defend their HQ from being taken out.  Of course, it's far easier for your kind to come to the forums and whine about it, which is why this thread was created in the first place.

The solution to this problem is very simple, not my fault if you and the others aren't bright enough to figure it out.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
Another player who never had one bad thing to say about any facet of the game.  

You should never post on crack, Cal.  :lol

I pick my criticism carefully and present it wisely.  :aok

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »
When we lose HQ (something that is entirely preventable). I land and up goons to resupply the HQ. HQ raiders are easily spotted and tracked by the darbar.
You play Aces High?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »
It's game design. There's the option of bombing out the enemy dar/HQ and leveling out the playing field or rebuilding our own (or both).

Leveling what playing field?  The playing field is already massively tilted toward offense, leveling the HQ shifts it even more in that direction.  It is a means of globally reducing the already miniscule defense that is put up 90% of the time.

There are players that like strategic bombing (and there has to be some sort of cause and effect to call it such). There aren't many ball-bearing plants to level.

And yet, hardly anybody talks about how much fun it is when it works against them.  Not talking about forum people, talking about the average person in game.

It's not us that need to 'get real', it's the players that don't want to take the time to defend their HQ from being taken out.  Of course, it's far easier for your kind to come to the forums and whine about it, which is why this thread was created in the first place.

Now that's comedy.  Ack-Ack, defending is all I do.  When the rest of my side is down on the deck, I'm pretty much always grabbing to stop the buff flight that's looking to come in over top of the fight.  There's generally me and about a dozen other guys in the arena doing it.  That's not enough to cover the entire front, and it's not exactly fun gameplay to loiter over the HQ and wait for the next set of buffs to come in every 20 minutes.

The solution to this problem is very simple, not my fault if you and the others aren't bright enough to figure it out.

ack-ack

I and a few others have got it figured out, there's just not enough people doing it to be effective.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
You should never post on crack, Cal.  :lol

I pick my criticism carefully and present it wisely.  :aok

That is a funny quip indeed.  The post you quoted sure does resemble the ravings of a drug-addled mind.   

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
Actually this kind of pees me off. Rooks kill bish hq for a few minutes and they get this "stop griefing us!" whine on the forum. Knights fought all night keeping rook hq down and we were rewarded with no whines on the forum or even on chan 200, nothing, nada. And rooks get this? It's not fair.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
That is a funny quip indeed.  The post you quoted sure does resemble the ravings of a drug-addled mind.   

I'm glad we agree. There is finally some sort of progress being made here.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
 Bombers and Jabos make nice targets, let them be and kill them. You couldn't ask for a fatter target.

Actually this kind of pees me off. Rooks kill bish hq for a few minutes and they get this "stop griefing us!" whine on the forum. Knights fought all night keeping rook hq down and we were rewarded with no whines on the forum or even on chan 200, nothing, nada. And rooks get this? It's not fair.

My experience flying as a rook is generally HQ going down is followed by an lol and goon party.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:06:17 PM by whiteman »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Bombers and Jabos make nice targets, let them be and kill them. You couldn't ask for a fatter target.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »

Wiley.

:lol Pot meet kettle?  Resupping an HQ is fast & easy.  For those that think they are too good to do so for their side, well, you don't deserve the benefit of dar from those that will then.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
I'm glad we agree. There is finally some sort of progress being made here.

Your rapier wit stings me badly.  Now, I'm off to buy some Solarcaine.