Author Topic: Okay its P not B 38  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Re: Okay its P not B 38
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
It always surprises me when talk of learning the P38 comes up. Nobody mentions "Twinboom" and while he is my CO, I still think he is one of THE best 38 jocks out there.
The few times i have come across TB he has always impressed me greatly. :aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »
One thing all the great P-38 pilots in this game have in common is their ability to maintain a high enough energy state to keep the fight in the verticle.  The verticle fight is the 38's strength.  I've had the fortunate and or unfortunate opportunity to fight most of these great 38's sticks at one time or another.  Win or lose it always became a game of energy conservation and patience.  Most of these great 38 sticks are also very patient, and thats a trait that comes with much experience.  They wait till they get enough of an E advantage to use it for shot coming from above, sometimes this may take a half dozen merges to drain an opponent enough that they can no longer get their nose around and are vulnerable. 

I can still remember when I flew in the MA's regularly, I really hated the Del/shuffler p-38 combination.  I and whoever was my wingy that night lost quite a few hogs to that combination, those were scary times :O :aok

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 05:36:02 AM »
It always surprises me when talk of learning the P38 comes up. Nobody mentions "Twinboom" and while he is my CO, I still think he is one of THE best 38 jocks out there.

Twinbooms a great guy....great stick...and i agree with you 100%  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:59 AM »
. . . Win or lose it always became a game of energy conservation and patience.  Most of these great 38 sticks are also very patient, and thats a trait that comes with much experience.  They wait till they get enough of an E advantage to use it for shot coming from above, sometimes this may take a half dozen merges to drain an opponent enough that they can no longer get their nose around and are vulnerable. 

I can still remember when I flew in the MA's regularly, I really hated the Del/shuffler p-38 combination.  I and whoever was my wingy that night lost quite a few hogs to that combination, those were scary times :O :aok

BigRat

An excellent assessment.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
Twinbooms a great guy....great stick...and i agree with you 100%  :aok

Twinboom is a great guy and a hell of a stick. About 6months after I started playing I found him low and slow with a 38 on one engine. I howled in for an easy kill and he beat me like I'd slept with his sister. Lovely guy though and gave me a few tips afterwards :aok
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Sure... I'm available tonight or tomorrow after 8pm est, but I'm not available on Friday.
Last night i had to get off right at 8 pm Est,i'll be on tonight after 8 god willing ,if your around,
in MA?

Most of these great 38 sticks are also very patient, and thats a trait that comes with much experience.  They wait till they get enough of an E advantage to use it for shot coming from above, sometimes this may take a half dozen merges to drain an opponent enough that they can no longer get their nose around and are vulnerable.  

BigRat
Very good advice ty Rat. :aok
I like to think of myself as a very successful E fighter if nothing else,so i hope it helps.
I found last night on the deck i could stay alive and getting assist but getting kills is escaping me atm.
Im flat turning and not staying vert enough though do believe.
This bird still feels very big and heavy to me,I'll get used to it. :salute
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:58:41 AM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »
Last night i had to get off right at 8 pm Est,i'll be on tonight after 8 god willing ,if your around,
in MA?

Yep, I should be on after 8pm est. Still fighting a nasty cold, but I should be alert enough.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
Yep, I should be on after 8pm est. Still fighting a nasty cold, but I should be alert enough.
Ah,right on.
Well if your not up for it ,no worries.
Im not in a rush to become mega in this thing.  :rolleyes:
I'll be learning and flying it for a long while I'm sure.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
The dueling arena is a fun place to practice in a 38.  I try to stay at the take off altitude to give reds an altitude advantage.  To me it is practice so I don't care if I get taken down.  Giving them the advantage is the best practice to me.  Lots of spits, and 109s.  I do the same thing with the P47.

One of favorite practice times in the DA is get the 38 in a flat turn on the deck while holding full up elevator with a turney plane.  You might not win all of them but good practice.  Add flaps, WEP and so on to see what effect it has.  Snap turn directions will add to the fun.

Another is go on the deck in DA and wait for the attack  Give them your six.  You can practice over shoots and turn avoidance.

The DA is the best place for defensive practice.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Sunka just became a man!!  WTG dude!   :rock

The best part of flying the 38 for me is it's very much a jack of all trades.  I almost always feel like I have some options flying it no matter the situation because it does so many things well.

The worst part of flying the 38 for me is it's very much a jack of all trades.  I almost always feel like I have some options flying it no matter the situation because it does so many things well. 

:)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

Another is go on the deck in DA and wait for the attack  Give them your six.  You can practice over shoots and turn avoidance.

The DA is the best place for defensive practice.

+200

I would only add to also try doing the same with less capable planes or "hanger queens" as well....especially ones that have difficulty regaining E quickly.    You will find it helps with general timing and E management skills.  It's also will bring a big grin when you are killing LAs, Spiteens and K4s in a low and slow P39.   :D

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »

I found last night on the deck i could stay alive and getting assist but getting kills is escaping me atm.

The deck is a bad place to be in any plane especially the 38 as it's so attractive! Stay fast when down low so you can get back upstairs quickly.

Im flat turning and not staying vert enough though do believe.

Not a big fan of flat turning in any bird really. Terribly inefficient! Problem in doing that with the 38 is there's always gonna be another either more turny plane around or somebody waiting for you to go into turny mode that's gonna zap ya. It's not really flying to it's strengths but like any other engagement it depends on your SA and what you're fighting. It does turn quite nicely although it's no Zeke.

This bird still feels very big and heavy to me,I'll get used to it. :salute

Not your imagination. She's a big heavy. Keep that in mind and use it to your advantage.  :salute

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
One of favorite practice times in the DA is get the 38 in a flat turn on the deck while holding full up elevator with a turney plane.  You might not win all of them but good practice.  Add flaps, WEP and so on to see what effect it has.  Snap turn directions will add to the fun.

What do you mean "holding full up elevator"?  Are you saying that you trim your elevators to full up while in a turn fight?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
I know right! It seems counterintuitive but I find myself constantly re-trimming down in order to counter the pitch up tendency when slow. I hate fighting the stick in turns. I only trim up when getting fast as the opposite happens. Don't use auto trim in other than transit either.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »
I know right! It seems counterintuitive but I find myself constantly re-trimming down in order to counter the pitch up tendency when slow. I hate fighting the stick in turns. I only trim up when getting fast as the opposite happens. Don't use auto trim in other than transit either.

The reason I asked Randy1 to clarify is that some players still believe the AH urban myth that trimming full up elevator will somehow make you turn tighter in a turn fight. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song