Author Topic: Side switch times  (Read 9325 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Side switch times
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Truthfully?  There is no good explanation for not having a 2, 4, or 6 hour change.  Most fights don't last more than 2 hours and most furballs happen away from the base-takes (which is why the bases don't get defended well enough to kill the capture attempt).

One augmentation on Grizz's suggestion might be to examine the prime time vs off peak and have side switching become variable based on times of the day.  Off peak may change every two hours and peak time may change every 4.

Either way, 12 hours is ridiculous.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:01 PM »
Truthfully?  There is no good explanation for not having a 2, 4, or 6 hour change.  Most fights don't last more than 2 hours and most furballs happen away from the base-takes (which is why the bases don't get defended well enough to kill the capture attempt).

One augmentation on Grizz's suggestion might be to examine the prime time vs off peak and have side switching become variable based on times of the day.  Off peak may change every two hours and peak time may change every 4.

Either way, 12 hours is ridiculous.

Agreed.  The optimized best solution is certainly negotiable and I did mention somewhere in this thread a swinging switch time based on time of day.  What I do know is that the 12 hour rule is NOT the best solution and quite frankly, is a thoughtless and arbitrary player constraint imo.

We should strive to be better Thinkers than to pigeonhole ourselves into assuming the only two options are a 1 hour switch option or a 12 hour switch option.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
Last night the numbers were 10 Rooks, 13 Knights, and 34 Bish. Some of us wanted to go knights and help fight back the bish attacking their bases but couldn't because we already used our 1 switch for the day. Rooks and Knights got tired of being out numbered and logged off until it was 4 Rooks, 7 Knights, and 28 Bish. The 12 hour rule does not work very well during the peak hours and does not work at all during the off hours. Please fix it before we lose more players.  :(

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
We should strive to be better Thinkers than to pigeonhole ourselves into assuming the only two options are a 1 hour switch option or a 12 hour switch option.

All kinds of variations had been proposed in the past 2 years, repeatedly. No limit, 1h, 2h, 4h... free or minor limited switch tied to eny (i.e. 'free' switch to significantly outnumbered chesspiece), easier switch combined with more sever ENY restrictions, paying perks for switching sides, "anti griefer" measures like not being able to control CV's for X hours, and so on. In any possible combination.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
I pretty much liked to switch between knights and rooks, mostly because of my weird timezone. Always had a friend on one side to wing with and catch the resident horde.
It isnt possible any more.
AoM
City of ice

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:08:36 PM by Skuzzy »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
Look at the new help channel policy that forces everyone to view the inane ramblings of those who are beyond help.

Not saying the new help channel settings make much sense to me but...
You can easily get rid of the help channel if you want to. Edit your tab settings to exlude "help messages".

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »
Not saying the new help channel settings make much sense to me but...
You can easily get rid of the help channel if you want to. Edit your tab settings to exlude "help messages".

That's not the point. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Why not, it's an issue and needs to be addressed. If it's a dead issue, Hitech should post that it is and the reason why he feels it should stay as it is. Then when the issue is brought up it is "on record" and can be pointed out and so end the repeated posts.

I am just taking a wild guess here but since hitech hasnt changed the switch time then he's saying no.  however if and when he feels that it is needed for it to be changed then he will change it.

and if he was to give a reason then people wouldnt just accept it, they would just keep whining about why he decided this or why he decided that.

and if I recall correctly he's already "on the record" about why it's 12 hours.  and it was a very simple explanation and you guys didnt like it.  just like I dont like the collision model.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
I wonder how long it will go until a response is posted.  Surely improving gameplay will warrant a response.

I suppose the response could be that Skuzzy moves this thread to the Wishlist forum...

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
I wonder how long it will go until a response is posted.  Surely improving gameplay will warrant a response.

I suppose the response could be that Skuzzy moves this thread to the Wishlist forum...

wasnt a response posted 2 or 3 years ago?

semp

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
A 12 hour switch thread just wouldn't be the same without semp turning up  :rofl he doesn't like the 1 hour switch because people who were flying with him all bailed out switched sides upped from the base he was capping and shot him down  :devil since the 12 hour rule they just bail and don't hit 'o' on the way down when he starts talking on range  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
A 12 hour switch thread just wouldn't be the same without semp turning up  :rofl he doesn't like the 1 hour switch because people who were flying with him all bailed out switched sides upped from the base he was capping and shot him down  :devil since the 12 hour rule they just bail and don't hit 'o' on the way down when he starts talking on range  :D

actually when it was the one hour switch, i would switch to the side that would give me the most kills.  couldnt care less which country i was on or the fight, it was all about the kills.  but I never went after buffs or missions that I knew about  on when I switched.  I flew alone or with a squad or 4 members  that didnt care about switching for over 2 years.  it was until almost the end of the 1 hour switch time when I noticed  about how people like grizz would take advantage of knowing where the buffs were taking off and upping 262's to intercept them.  and he wasnt the only one, there were a couple more that did that. a few of the guys I flew with did the same thing.

as for not liking the 1 hour switch it is because you guys are wrong.  1 hour switch time is way too long.  I know that because many a time I would switch to a country that I thought was having a good fight and it would be just a base taking mission and I was stuck for another hour on the wrong fricking side.  like I said many times before if I was you I would ask for unlimited switch time when the numbers are low.

semp

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »
wasnt a response posted 2 or 3 years ago?

semp

Yes and it was wrong then too.  I suppose they could keep being wrong.