Author Topic: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground  (Read 4268 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
I actually thought he had reverse gunned me IV is a decent enough shot, I have seen other guys doing this HE thing but never actually filmed it.

Does anyone know how its modelled the blast? I have never heard of people doing this in RL except maybe for Bismarck shooting its main guns into the sea against the swordfish bombers.

Perv,

I believe the Japanese did this to US navy planes also,the large calibre guns would blast a wall of water several hundred feet high and the torpedo bombers had to dodge them both comming in and going out.

Pretty sure dogfights had an episode where they explained this.

If you could get IV's film,if he has 1,you'd likely see a much different point of view!

As Lusche has said you need his film to see what actually happened on his end.

:salute

PS:  I cant tell you how many times I've been shot where the other guy's nose wasnt even pointing at me yet. It's like it says on the sideview mirror,things maybe closer than they appear! :devil :devil

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
  Perv,

I believe the Japanese did this to US navy planes also,the large calibre guns would blast a wall of water several hundred feet high and the torpedo bombers had to dodge them both comming in and going out.

Pretty sure dogfights had an episode where they explained this.

A P-38 pilot in the SWPA was credited with a kill on a Zeke from the resulting water geyser caused by his bombs. 

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »
For GV-ers, it is a known tactic. Thus the need to always take some HE rounds. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
You can't judge by the victim's film how close the plane was to the round going off. You need to see the shooter's film, as it's his FE on which a 'hit' is determined. The inherent lag means you see the tank shoot later than he actually did.
Just as on many of my films enemy bullets strike empty space behind my plane, yet I am hit. That's not a result of a bug, that's just the effect of combined lag.

Ok so lets account for that, perfect scenario directly over the blast

Went an flew a storch over there got the alt, subtracted it from my alt its still 143 ft distance from the ground to my plane, I would like to know how the blast is modelled, personally speaking I think its a cube and anything in that cube is dead regardless of its position relative to the centre, I had guys bombing me in a GV an not even being close and an instant death. 143 ft is a bit much sorry  :rolleyes: how much explosive can you put in an 85mm shell that will when fired into the ground produce an instant death to an aircraft 143 ft away from it, seems quite far fetched to me.

Couldn't find any info on the HE shells the 85mm fired that would be helpful if anyone knew that info.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
A T-34 has the smallest HE blast in the game, aside from the M4A3-76 which has a reduced HE charge.  It will not hit you at that altitude unless his gun actually hits you. That said, if he mounts a berm (I can see a berm) and he has the barrel elevated to smack you as you go by, there is a bug in the film viewer and in the game that makes it look as if he shot the ground even when he shoots you directly.

By the way, the HE blast of an actual tank round is about three times bigger than it is portrayed in Aces High. I think the blast radius effect is probably correct, but the smoke and visual effect appears too small.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
A T-34 has the smallest HE blast in the game, aside from the M4A3-76 which has a reduced HE charge.  It will not hit you at that altitude unless his gun actually hits you. That said, if he mounts a berm (I can see a berm) and he has the barrel elevated to smack you as you go by, there is a bug in the film viewer and in the game that makes it look as if he shot the ground even when he shoots you directly.

By the way, the HE blast of an actual tank round is about three times bigger than it is portrayed in Aces High. I think the blast radius effect is probably correct, but the smoke and visual effect appears too small.

I didn't even know there was a blast effect but I run rubbish graphics settings?  :headscratch:
Some more info on the HE would be helpful, were is your source for this? Its the perked T34 btw with the bigger gun. He definately wasn't on the berm as I shot him on my attack run.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
the M8 has the armor of an actual tank, albeit an EW light tank.

I say otherwise on that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/icyy6q093alt5v2/m3+killing+m8+50+cal_1858.ahf

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 11:59:21 PM »
I didn't even know there was a blast effect but I run rubbish graphics settings?  :headscratch:
Some more info on the HE would be helpful, were is your source for this? Its the perked T34 btw with the bigger gun. He definately wasn't on the berm as I shot him on my attack run.

My source is online experience in this game, because the more you play both sides of the game (air/ground) the more you learn. Still, you can look up the shelling of infantry by armor units in nearly any armor book. High explosive rounds (HE) were designed as anti-infantry ammunition. Tanks are designed to support infantry. There are many action reports of infantry in WWII getting hit with HE rounds exploding in the tops of trees. It's actually one of the most famous events in WWII Europe; 6th Corps Italy comes to mind but there are many, many others. You can also look at reports of our troops in Okinawa, but the most effective fire in that case was against civilians. I believe I have even seen footage on youtube of HE exploding in the trees on Okinawa and you can see immediately that a 300-ft diameter blast would be pretty close for a 75mm HE shell out of a Sherman. That against infantry would be the worse case, but airplanes are not much better protected.

You should also know that any explosion in AH only affects objects above the impact point. If the tank is below a bomb crater it will not be touched. This is why you hear so many accounts of bombs landing right beside tanks and it does not even track the tank, because the bomb hit the top of a berm or elevated terrain.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 01:24:25 AM »
T-34/85 is actually tied for the largest blast, not the smallest, at 234lbs of destructive force.  Not sure about the T-34/76.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »
Yes, for some reason I thought his Stuka was bombing a T34/76.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »

Im pretty sure this is what they did with their super-battleships and the 18" guns since their beehive rounds were so ineffective and damaging to the guns. Of course one had to wonder why anyone on Yamato would have been worried about damaging the guns on their last sortie. This was a bit of a disappointment in the, otherwise, great movie "Yamato". that they didnt show this tactic used as the USN torpedo planes bore in. I still recommend the movie for anyones "foreign" collection.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
At least during the Battle off Samar, the Yamato didn't use that tactic when attacked by TBMs from Taffy 3 and Taffy 2, nor did the Musashi (Yamato's sister battleship) the day before during the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »
I didn't even know there was a blast effect but I run rubbish graphics settings?  :headscratch:

I'd like to know how come you can drop a 500 lb bomb 15ft from a tank and nothing happens and IV can shoot his little 85mm gun and knock a plane out of the air well above the tree tops going^ 275mph.  :O

It's not your graphics Perv I just watched my film ... IV deliberately lowers his gun and shoots into the ground ... he says he has been able to do it since 2006 ...so its okay... I can clearly see in my film that I am past his shot at 275mph and I'm well over the trees his cannon round registers on my front left wing. Almost as if I'm at his level right in front of his gun.

On approach

IV Shoots

Shot registers on wing front and blows off wing

I examined the film from several different angles and views sure looks buggy to me.. At the least the HE ords need to be looked at.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:17:07 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
I'd like to know how come you can drop a 500 lb bomb 15ft from a tank and nothing happens and IV can shoot his little 85mm gun and knock a plane out of the air at over  100ft+ going^ at 275mph.  :O
Because your plane doesn't have 45mm of armor, and doesn't weigh 35 tons. And lets be honest here; a lot of those "15foot misses" are close to 100yds away.

It's not your graphics Perv I just watched my film ... IV deliberately lowers his gun and shoots into the ground ... he says he has been able to do it since 2006 ...so its okay... I can clearly see in my film that I am past his shot at 275mph and I'm well over the trees his cannon round registers on my front left wing. Almost as if I'm at his level right in front of his gun.
Lag. On his screen (which is the one that counts when HE is the one who is shooting), you're not past the tank, simple as that.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm sorry but that's some gamey crap right there.
Wag more, bark less.