Author Topic: Tactics Talk: How to Exploit Better Power Loading?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Tactics Talk: How to Exploit Better Power Loading?
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
Hi. I'd like to start a series of discussions about how to exploit specific attributes in dissimilar plane combat.

Let's start with power loading. Assume a fighter with significantly more horsepower in relation to its weight, leading to better climb and acceleration performance. Assume the adversary has a significant advantage in both instantaneous and sustained turn performance. Assume a roughly co-alt encounter. What are the tactics appropriate to WWII prop aircraft that the "energy" fighter in this example can use to gain the advantage and the kill?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Tactics Talk: How to Exploit Better Power Loading?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
I would climb and head around 30 degrees off his nose to make him have to go vertical to get to you before the merge, then just keep climbing until he stalls.
But no encounter is the same...
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
In broad terms, I just keep the nose pointed up.  If it's co-E merge, I find it's better to conserve your E and spiral climb, forcing him to chase you up and bleeding his E.  As the two of you get slower, he'll have fewer options than you will.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
The KI43 will cause issues in this regard as it can hang on the prop longer in most instances as the lower of the 2 planes in question it can sustain a left hand spiral climb at around 50-60 mph with 50% or less fuel on board. But of course as any amount of distance is gained the weaker fire power of the 43's guns will allow an opponent the chance to reset and try again. I think it be best to name specific planes that you'd like to go over, then you could get into better and more defined details.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
I think it be best to name specific planes that you'd like to go over, then you could get into better and more defined details.

A thrust/weight advantage is a thrust/weight advantage and the general tactics involved ought to transfer. And the exploitable attributes of a given plane change based on the opposition, so it is more useful to know to exploit a given advantage. A P-47M fighting a 190 D9 is faced with weight/horsepower disadvantage but an advantage in maneuverability. If that same P-47M is fighting an F4U-1, the situation is exactly reversed.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:29 AM »
I would climb and head around 30 degrees off his nose to make him have to go vertical to get to you before the merge, then just keep climbing until he stalls.
But no encounter is the same...
And if he chooses not to stall?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
A thrust/weight advantage is a thrust/weight advantage and the general tactics involved ought to transfer. And the exploitable attributes of a given plane change based on the opposition, so it is more useful to know to exploit a given advantage. A P-47M fighting a 190 D9 is faced with weight/horsepower disadvantage but an advantage in maneuverability. If that same P-47M is fighting an F4U-1, the situation is exactly reversed.

I dunno... a Ki-84 and a 109K4 are both great climbers/accelerators, but they don't have the same bag of tricks really, right?
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Power loading... so basically we're talking about climb and acceleration, right?

The best way, but also the most hazardous, is to feign a turn fight to make sure the less powerful plane bleeds his E, then take him up.  It won't take too long before you can drop on his head and make something blow up.  If you screw it up and misjudge E or fight the wrong fight too long though, yous in trouble.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
One other tidbit, I find drawing out the fight generally favors the better climbing/accelerating plane.  If you try to end it quick, you don't really have the chance to have your advantage affect the fight.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
And if he chooses not to stall?

If You mean he levels out, you simply chop throttle and dive on him, easy kill.
The goal here is to try and make him maintain a very high AoA while you are still in a low speed climb (spiral climb works for this). He won't have the engine power to keep him going at a high angle and will be forced to lower his nose, or stall. You use this opportunity to roll over on him, and chopping the throttle will help decrease the closing rate and you have more time for a shot.

I can explain further if need be.

HiTech

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

Heh.  Not always so.

- oldman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »

Heh.  Not always so.

- oldman

Easy setup rather, your gunnery skills aren't my problem  :neener:

HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
The goal here is to try and make him maintain a very high AoA while you are still in a low speed climb (spiral climb works for this). He won't have the engine power to keep him going at a high angle and will be forced to lower his nose, or stall. You use this opportunity to roll over on him, and chopping the throttle will help decrease the closing rate and you have more time for a shot.

I can explain further if need be.
I made no mention of leveling out.

You miss the point. You assume he's going to take the bait and do what you expect him to do.  What are you going to do when he doesn't cooperate and uses some tactical skill against you instead?  

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
You miss the point. You assume he's going to take the bait and do what you expect him to do.  What are you going to do when he doesn't cooperate and uses some tactical skill against you instead? 

At that point, its kinda up to you to out-tactics him isn't it? Now what you would do depends on what specifically he is doing.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
I made no mention of leveling out.

You miss the point. You assume he's going to take the bait and do what you expect him to do.  What are you going to do when he doesn't cooperate and uses some tactical skill against you instead?  

I gave a general maneuver you can use if you are unsure what to do. No fight is ever going to be the same, from that point on, it is up to you to decide how the fight will go. I can show you what I'm talking about in the DA if you want, if you still don't understand.

HiTech