Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 9604 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
The problem is, instead of just SAYING that at the beginning of the week long drama over the issue, it didn't happen until much, much after the fact.  I don't understand that, at all.  Why the reluctance to just make that same post on page 1 of the first complaint about the 12 hour rule - by delaying it until days, if not weeks later....this is specifically why some customers get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that HTC either doesn't care, or is almost "aloof" so far as answering customer complaints.

The guys at HTC don't read EVERY post on the BBS, and sometimes it will take days before they decide to look at a particular thread. I'm guessing when they get wind of the "discussion" going on, they start reading and by that time there are probably pages and pages of numptiness to get through.

If someone presses the "report to moderator" button, rest assured that HTC will read that post as soon as possible.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
I understand that, but in this case, when there were multiple intercessions in those threads through moderation, days and weeks prior to the aforementioned post from HT, it sort of kills your argument there.  I do agree in many instances you're likely right, and I've seen Skuzzy say precisely the same thing before, and I believe him, but in this recent example, it just wasn't the case, as it was a known trouble issue/thread from the first few hours, and spilled over into many more threads, with the results already mentioned.  Again, all I'm saying is that in that specific case, that post from HT IMO would have certainly have altered the direction things headed if it was the first point of contact between HTC and the complaining customers, instead of coming days or weeks later in an entirely different topic/thread - it certainly changed my viewpoint of the whole situation, albeit retroactively.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
@Skuzzy

One example I would use is the recent bru-ha-ha over the 12 hour limit.  I read a post a few days ago from HiTech, plainly stating that "spies" and other concerns have nothing to do with the rule, rather it was about the balance of the 3 countries, and HT went on to very accurately and simply state the reasons for this, with plenty of examples and evidence.  I honestly until that post hadn't even considered that, and it made everything pretty clear, at least for me.

The problem is, instead of just SAYING that at the beginning of the week long drama over the issue, it didn't happen until much, much after the fact.  I don't understand that, at all.  Why the reluctance to just make that same post on page 1 of the first complaint about the 12 hour rule - by delaying it until days, if not weeks later....this is specifically why some customers get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that HTC either doesn't care, or is almost "aloof" so far as answering customer complaints.  This is just my observation and opinion.  

This is the post in question, HT posted it May 3 - IMO if this was posted on page 1 of the start of all the 12 hour complaint threads, it would have probably averted a lot of the problems, and subsequent PNG's and subscription cancellations.  I'll certainly never question that HTC cares about the product, or even the customers, however in this recent case, acting on those cares in a different and more expedient fashion, in fact precisely the below post from HT, I personally believe would make great strides in the perception of the care HTC has with a lot of customers.

You guys think we read the posts on the board everyday?  Nope, never.

We are a small company, and we have a lot of work on our plates with the current development.  Not an excuse, just a fact.  Interrupting that development is expensive.  Once you get on a solid path of creating, it hurts to stop it and try to restart it again.  Sort of takes the winds out of the sails.  This has probably cost us a week of development time, if not more.  How much will that cost us in the long run?  Quite a bit.

We have made it no secret we are in a long development cycle.  We want to get that done as fast as possible.  We have been very vocal about what we have been doing.  If people insist on using the bulletin board to brow beat us, then they are going to have to wait until we can get to it.  We cannot simply stop doing what we are doing each time someone thinks we should.

Once we got a window to respond, the damage was done.  People have to understand there are consequences on both sides of the fence, when things like this happen.  They cannot be ignored.  It is a choice to act respectful and decent or be a butthead.  I can do both.  I will give you what you give me.

Fair enough.  This board is a departure from many I'm a member of then.  Probably the most reoccurring theme from those boards as it relates to Moderator/member interaction is having to answer the same questions from different people over and over.  Anybody who's spent any time dealing with the public can understand how that makes you a bit jaded.

Inappropriate I can handle.  Usually the person asking an inappropriate question is a moron, so ignoring them is the most polite way to tell them to stfu.  It's the perfectly legit questions that go unanswered that will hurt you.  That makes you appear to either not care, or not have any answers, neither of which is good.  Even a "I'm not sure, but I'll look into it for you" is much better than no answer at all.

What you think is "perfectly legit" may not be so.  It is also how it is approached.  There is always a right way, and a wrong way.  Like it or not, that is the truth.  Demanding an answer is never a good approach.

I understand that, but in this case, when there were multiple intercessions in those threads through moderation, days and weeks prior to the aforementioned post from HT, it sort of kills your argument there.  I do agree in many instances you're likely right, and I've seen Skuzzy say precisely the same thing before, and I believe him, but in this recent example, it just wasn't the case, as it was a known trouble issue/thread from the first few hours, and spilled over into many more threads, with the results already mentioned.  Again, all I'm saying is that in that specific case, that post from HT IMO would have certainly have altered the direction things headed if it was the first point of contact between HTC and the complaining customers, instead of coming days or weeks later in an entirely different topic/thread - it certainly changed my viewpoint of the whole situation, albeit retroactively.

Just because we edit a post does not mean we read the thread.  Right now, the board should be of secondary concern for us, as we have a lot to accomplish.  For what we need to do, everyone needs to be patient.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
Just a side note.

A lot of this had to do with rumors and guesses.  People thought we changed the rule due to spies, due to others screaming about it.  Let me state this as emphatically as possible.

We never make changes due to threats, brow beating, or any other type of potentially coercive approach. NEVER!

Every change is all about the business.  PERIOD!

Do, when you hear someone say, "must be the babies screaming for it", please stop that in its tracks.  It only serves to create stupid moments where people end up being banned from the board.

People can ask for change, and we will look at it, when we can.  It does not mean it will change.  It may, in fact, cause something else to change because that is what was really needed to begin with.  No matter what causes it, we will think about it and not leap into a bucket of poo because someone thinks we should.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:08:08 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
Do, when you hear someone say, "must be the babies screaming for it", please stop that in its tracks.

I would like to, but it's absolutely impossible.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
I would like to, but it's absolutely impossible.

I know, but a guy can dream. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »
Gman has a good point. 

I remember before the last ENY change there being several threads on the subject with opinions running the gambit.  Hitech interjected very simply with, "Hmmm, maybe we'll have to take a look".  It didn't take a lot of thought or effort, but it let everyone know that he was paying attention and gave the impression he was taking his customers opinions into consideration.  I'm sure the ENY issue wasn't keeping him up at nights, and it probably had very little impact on actual game play, but his response pretty much diffused any arguing about it on the BBS.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
I know, but a guy can dream. :)

Is this a typo (up left first letter last word)?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »
Gman has a good point. 

I remember before the last ENY change there being several threads on the subject with opinions running the gambit.  Hitech interjected very simply with, "Hmmm, maybe we'll have to take a look".  It didn't take a lot of thought or effort, but it let everyone know that he was paying attention and gave the impression he was taking his customers opinions into consideration.  I'm sure the ENY issue wasn't keeping him up at nights, and it probably had very little impact on actual game play, but his response pretty much diffused any arguing about it on the BBS.

You do not program for a living, do you?  It does take a lot of effort to stop working on your future just to mitigate monsters created by others.

Customer opinions, when expressed with respect, are always considered, when it is the appropriate time to do so.

HiTech is not the one creating the monsters.  Exercise some control people.  We need him to be working on coad.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
You do not program for a living, do you?  It does take a lot of effort to stop working on your future just to mitigate monsters created by others.

Customer opinions, when expressed with respect, are always considered, when it is the appropriate time to do so.

HiTech is not the one creating the monsters.  Exercise some control people.  We need him to be working on coad.

So what are all the people who work full time and still keep up with current topics on this forum doing wrong?  You mean I have to program for a living to really feel like I put in a full day at work?  C'mon man, you can't believe that. 

Mitigating monsters?  Is this the part where you tell me how much you care again?   
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
So what are all the people who work full time and still keep up with current topics on this forum doing wrong?  You mean I have to program for a living to really feel like I put in a full day at work?  C'mon man, you can't believe that.  

Mitigating monsters?  Is this the part where you tell me how much you care again?  

Sigh.  When a programmer is on a roll, you do not want to interrupt him/her.  This is when they generate their best work.  To stop them is risking introducing bugs into the code.  Try interrupting a fire man when he is putting out a fire and see what happens.  There are jobs that are just that way.

You see, this is one of those things that is quickly not going to be worth responding to.  It no longer becomes constructive.

I give you honest answer and it just pisses you off.  That is why many times we will avoid responding to things. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:20:29 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:20:51 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »
People who have never done programming for a living have no concept of "the zone".  ;)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
Sigh.  When a programmer is on a roll, you do not want to interrupt him/her.  This is when they generate their best work.  To stop them is risking introducing bugs into the code.  Try interrupting a fire man when he is putting out a fire and see what happens.  There are jobs that are just that way.

You see, this is one of those things that is quickly not going to be worth responding to.  It no longer becomes constructive.

Nobody is saying that anyone has to stop what they're doing right this minute and to run to the BBS just to satisfy people complaining about the 12 hour rule, ENY, or whatever.   "We'll take a look at it" can be posted from your cellphone while sitting on the can.  Sure, an in depth follow up might take up 10 minutes somewhere else, but c'mon... if you can't find 10 minutes to respond to your customers a couple times a week, you've got serious time management issues.  

And this is just my opinion, but one rooted in running a small business.  The "I don't have time" thing really only works with close friends and family.  Just about every customer you serve expects you to get done what you need to get done, and they really aren't bothered if that means you're sitting in front of a computer answering messages at 8PM.
      -AoM-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
Thanks for the response Skuzzy - I understand, and frankly agree with what you've said here, and I for one appreciate that you took the time to spell it out pretty succinctly.  I think all of us as customers, at least the ones who haven't physically visited HTC to see what goes on during the day to day probably have incorrect ideas about how the BBS, game, and business interact with one another, myself included in that.  Again, the only reason I even brought this point up was I found HT's post there on May 3 such a perfect response vis a vis company to customer regarding the entire 12 hour bbs debocale, that I just found it unfortunate that it wasn't at the start, versus the end of the entire thing.  Your posts here today make me appreciate a little more how valuable yet limited HT's time is, and I for one would much rather see the benefits of him "coading"  as opposed to wrestling on the bbs with disgruntled players, again, myself included.  Overall I think the faster the new version/stuff comes out, the better off everybody will be, and as much as I feel that the response from HT regarding the 12 hour rule and his reasons for it was needed, if I had to choose between that and having the new version, there is no choice at all.

I guess my hope is in the future should the game gain a lot of new customers and momentum, which I hope will lead to an expansion of HTC so far as employees go, that when that time comes, whoever gets the hat of trying to please the mob would respond quickly to player complaints with well reasoned and supported posts like that one from Hitech on the 3rd of this month.  That's all.  I do understand how that isn't possible with hundreds or thousands of posts per day with a small business, and my attitude after reading that post from HT and some of the latest ones from Skuzzy has certainly shifted a little in the last few days.