Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
This proves my point, it's an excuse.
For those players leaving AcesHigh because of Community, the Graphics and Gameplay were not good enough to overcome the bad within the Community.
There are many games that exist that have truly terrible communities (worse than AcesHigh by thousand fold) but because Graphics and Gameplay are king, they retain their players and in huge numbers.
AcesHigh has a poor community limited to about 20 people. AcesHigh is lucky, other games have then in their 1000s.
When gameplay and graphics in AcesHigh meets standards, the community wont matter, it will retain it's players regardless of it's community.

Your theme here is something that has existed in gaming and competition since inception. Online gamers are numb to it, and have been since they were first called a noob.

As for help, the Help and Training section is clearly marked and easily locatable, well maintained, trainer corps (outside of the TC, people giving their time), and full of useful information.

One of the most popular online games (League of Legends) is notorious for its truly hostile community. Yet their game is still played by tens of millions of people per month.

Aces High is probably one of the most welcoming community I've ever had the pleasure of being apart of. That being said, I like to think I'm smart enough to not take certain people seriously, which I'm sure helps...

For Skuzzy to say that the community is driving away more customers than the game itself is just so bizarre. Do they not even understand the market they're in?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:22:08 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »
This proves my point, it's an excuse.
For those players leaving AcesHigh because of Community, the Graphics and Gameplay were not good enough to overcome the bad within the Community.
There are many games that exist that have truly terrible communities (worse than AcesHigh by thousand fold) but because Graphics and Gameplay are king, they retain their players and in huge numbers.
AcesHigh has a poor community limited to about 20 people. AcesHigh is lucky, other games have then in their 1000s.
When gameplay and graphics in AcesHigh meets standards, the community wont matter, it will retain it's players regardless of it's community.

Your theme here is something that has existed in gaming and competition since inception. Online gamers are numb to it, and have been since they were first called a noob.

As for help, the Help and Training section is clearly marked and easily locatable, well maintained, trainer corps (outside of the TC, people giving their time), and full of useful information.

You are missing a very important perspective.  We are a subscription service.  People tend to expect more when they pay that subscription.

Yes, the training and support aspects of the board are decent and helpful, but if someone accidentally strolls into the general forum and tries to get help, they are met with a rather caustic bunch of responses.

I am part of several other game boards and while there is no end of negative posting, if someone asks for help, most of the responses are helpful.  I have tested that, many times.

One of the most popular online games (League of Legends) is notorious for its truly hostile community. Yet their game is still played by tens of millions of people per month.

Aces High is probably one of the most welcoming community I've ever had the pleasure of being apart of. That being said, I like to think I'm smart enough to not take certain people seriously, which I'm sure helps...

For Skuzzy to say that the community is driving away more customers than the game itself is just so bizarre. Do they not even understand the market they're in?

Do you understand I am only regurgitating what is said in many emails and PM's I get weekly?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:28:26 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
You are missing a very important perspective.  We are a subscription service.  People tend to expect more when they pay that subscription.

Correct.  You guys are held to a higher standard, but it's just customer service... it's not rocket science.

You don't have to fix every issue for every person, you just have to not act indifferent.  It's a lie most of the time, but when your customers feel like you care, they will be more tolerant to the things you screw up.    :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
@Skuzzy

Have you ever thought about only allowing people to use their real name? I know of one service which does this. The people who post in their community forum are absolutely angelic. I'm sure it makes people think twice about being a troll when they can't hide behind a avatar/screen name.

They do this by using both the first and last name of the credit/debit card as players screen name.

edit: To be honest, you might even lose customers if you did this. I'm sure many of the AH community have done/said things they regret and don't have the gonads to face the harsh consequences that come with reality.

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:30:06 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
Correct.  You guys are held to a higher standard, but it's just customer service... it's not rocket science.

You don't have to fix every issue for every person, you just have to not act indifferent.  It's a lie most of the time, but when your customers feel like you care, they will be more tolerant to the things you screw up.    :)

If we did not care, we would not bust our butts everyday to provide a better sandbox for people to play in.  We would not be trying to make it a better place for most everyone.

@Skuzzy

Have you ever thought about only allowing people to use their real name?

I know of one other service which does this and the community is angelic. I'm sure it makes people think twice about being a troll when they can't hide behind a avatar/screen name.

If that were a requirement, I would never sign up to a board.  Many people want that bit of security which comes with anonymity.  In most cases, it is a good thing.  People are willing to talk when they can safely hide behind a fake name.  Yes, it has it downside, but we really hope the upside outweighs it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »

I'm not sure I understand but that is the nature of a BBS.  Are you saying HTC, or any like company, should lie to their customers in some way to appease them and at the same time have no intention of going any further?

This sounds like my Civilian Personnel Office :rofl  "Mr. ammo, thank you for contacting us.  Your opinion and customer satisfaction are very important to us.  We will assign an action officer to look into your complaint/issue.  If you haven't heard from us in 6 weeks, that doesn't mean we are still working on your specific issue.  Please be patient"
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »
@Skuzzy

Have you ever thought about only allowing people to use their real name? I know of one other service which does this. The people who post in the community forum are angelic. I'm sure it makes people think twice about being a troll when they can't hide behind a avatar/screen name.

They do this by using both the first and last name of the credit/debit card as players screen name.

edit: To be honest, you might even loose customers if you did this. I'm sure many of the AH community have done/said things they regret.

Absolutely 100% agree.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
If we did not care, we would not bust our butts everyday to provide a better sandbox for people to play in.  We would not be trying to make it a better place for most everyone.

Oh I'm sure you do, but I'm also sure it gets tedious to answer the same questions and handle the same issues over and over and over.

I'm not sure I understand but that is the nature of a BBS.  Are you saying HTC, or any like company, should lie to their customers in some way to appease them and at the same time have no intention of going any further?

This sounds like my Civilian Personnel Office :rofl  "Mr. ammo, thank you for contacting us.  Your opinion and customer satisfaction are very important to us.  We will assign an action officer to look into your complaint/issue.  If you haven't heard from us in 6 weeks, that doesn't mean we are still working on your specific issue.  Please be patient"

No.  What I'm saying is, you have to appear to give a damn even when you don't.  Always.  Anything less is poor customer service.  "Giving a damn" on a BBS can be as simple as typing a sensible response in a timely fashion.   
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
No.  What I'm saying is, you have to appear to give a damn even when you don't.  Always.  Anything less is poor customer service.  "Giving a damn" on a BBS can be as simple as typing a sensible response in a timely fashion.   

Most boards from what I've seen, appearing to give a damn when you don't by the developers has generally resulted in backlash due to people feeling lied to.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »

So, you want lip service?

:headscratch:
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
Oh I'm sure you do, but I'm also sure it gets tedious to answer the same questions and handle the same issues over and over and over.

We seldom find ourselves answering the same question over and over.  Even when we do, we simply answer it.  There is nothing tedious about it.  A question was asked, an answer was provided.

We never have to pretend to care.  We do care.  It is our livelihood at stake.

That said, there are times when we are not going to answer somethings as it is either an inappropriate question, or it is a question whose answer would just make things worse.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »

No I didn't disregard that perpective. Gameplay and Graphics are the core.

The subscription requires the core but also active Game Development which improves both core areas.

When the cores fall behind the mainstream by a margin the community aspect becomes more of a factor.

Going back to it being an excuse; Graphics and Gameplay being of a high enough standard to convince some to tolerate a minority in the Community.

The new update when finally shipped out hopefully will reset the balance.  :salute
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:26:59 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Most boards from what I've seen, appearing to give a damn when you don't by the developers has generally resulted in backlash due to people feeling lied to.

Wiley.

That only happens when the dev/customer service people are terrible at their job.     

So, you want lip service?

:headscratch:

Define lip service. 
      -AoM-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
@Skuzzy

One example I would use is the recent bru-ha-ha over the 12 hour limit.  I read a post a few days ago from HiTech, plainly stating that "spies" and other concerns have nothing to do with the rule, rather it was about the balance of the 3 countries, and HT went on to very accurately and simply state the reasons for this, with plenty of examples and evidence.  I honestly until that post hadn't even considered that, and it made everything pretty clear, at least for me.

The problem is, instead of just SAYING that at the beginning of the week long drama over the issue, it didn't happen until much, much after the fact.  I don't understand that, at all.  Why the reluctance to just make that same post on page 1 of the first complaint about the 12 hour rule - by delaying it until days, if not weeks later....this is specifically why some customers get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that HTC either doesn't care, or is almost "aloof" so far as answering customer complaints.  This is just my observation and opinion.  

This is the post in question, HT posted it May 3 - IMO if this was posted on page 1 of the start of all the 12 hour complaint threads, it would have probably averted a lot of the problems, and subsequent PNG's and subscription cancellations.  I'll certainly never question that HTC cares about the product, or even the customers, however in this recent case, acting on those cares in a different and more expedient fashion, in fact precisely the below post from HT, I personally believe would make great strides in the perception of the care HTC has with a lot of customers.

This is very close to my opinion, including the 6 hour, I do not know for sure if 6 hours works as well as 12, but I do know from stats, 1 hour  does not work well. Most people assume that the limit was raised do to "spying issues". It was nothing to do with it. It is a simple fact that our stats show less of country imbalances with 12 hour vs 1 hour time limits with 1 hour the countries seem to always be out of balance. And the swings are constantly moving to different countries. With 12 hours the % of the swings are a lot less and the frequency of swings are less frequent.

I also understand the desire to be able to fly in the morning on week ends, and change again flying in the evening. And I have no problem with that concept. But I am also fairly sure that changing to 6 hours would have 0 impact on the amount of complaints and we would still have the same amount of kn-ashing of teeth for 1 hour, even though I know 1 hour creates greater country imbalance vs longer.

So things may or may not change in the future, but things will not change to any thing close to 1 hour. The value chosen is base on the damping effect of oscillation do to players changing side along and with desire to keep the time long enough that an immediate change and change back can not be used for a strategic advantage.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:56:27 PM by Gman »

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »
We seldom find ourselves answering the same question over and over.  Even when we do, we simply answer it.  There is nothing tedious about it.  A question was asked, an answer was provided.

We never have to pretend to care.  We do care.  It is our livelihood at stake.

Fair enough.  This board is a departure from many I'm a member of then.  Probably the most reoccurring theme from those boards as it relates to Moderator/member interaction is having to answer the same questions from different people over and over.  Anybody who's spent any time dealing with the public can understand how that makes you a bit jaded.

That said, there are times when we are not going to answer somethings as it is either an inappropriate question, or it is a question whose answer would just make things worse.

Inappropriate I can handle.  Usually the person asking an inappropriate question is a moron, so ignoring them is the most polite way to tell them to stfu.  It's the perfectly legit questions that go unanswered that will hurt you.  That makes you appear to either not care, or not have any answers, neither of which is good.  Even a "I'm not sure, but I'll look into it for you" is much better than no answer at all.
      -AoM-