Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 8779 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
Every online game has 'ticks' also AH. AH just has probably more network ticks per minute than some other games.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
Every online game has 'ticks' also AH. AH just has probably more network ticks per minute than some other games.

The distinction is, when it comes to combat in a game like this, or COD, or Skyrim the calculations for hitting/missing happen as the projectile or weapon moves through the environment, not at the moment it fires like in a tick based game.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
AKAK corrected, it's undisputable unless you're trolling.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
The distinction is, when it comes to combat in a game like this, or COD, or Skyrim the calculations for hitting/missing happen as the projectile or weapon moves through the environment, not at the moment it fires like in a tick based game.

Wiley.

In most games this is done client side so each players clients only need to keep track of their own projectiles. Although there's probably some sort of smoothing algorithm that calculates the expected enemy projectile / player positions per tick, which causes warping if the prediction doesnt match the server feed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:31:49 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
In most games this is done client side so each players clients only need to keep track of their own projectiles. Although there's probably some sort of smoothing algorithm that calculates the expected enemy projectile / player positions per tick, which causes warping if the prediction doesnt match the server feed.

Yup, to be honest I'm not 100% certain bullets in COD aren't hitscan, but the effect is somewhat similar, the bullet hits its target instantly at the moment of firing, no delay, no trajectory, no animation that doesn't match what happened.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »
AKAK is right about WoW being a tick based game.

WoW uses what is called a GCD (Global Cool Down). A GCD puts a limit on how many actions a player can perform in any given tick. That being said, I still consider WoW to be much closer to real time based than turn based. In WoW, movement is done in real time and is a massive component to their combat system.

That's why games like WoW are considered to be 'soft turn based' since they allow positioning and movement in real time but the actual combat itself isn't in real time.  The combat feels real time because the combat itself has been sped up give players that impression.  

FFXIV, uses a combat system almost identical to WoW's but the difference between the two is the speed.  Where WoW's combat has been sped up, FFXIV's combat has been slowed down.  WoW has around a .5 second delay between attacks (auto-attacks), while the delay between auto-attacks in FFXIV is 3 seconds, which gives FFXIV a slower 'turned based' combat feel which is a trade mark of the Final Fantasy games.  

There are a number of MMOs that are coming out that feature a more real time combat system, these MMOs are commonly referred to as ' MMOARPGs' (Massively Multiplayer Online Action RPG), though some of these still use virtual dice rolls to calculate hits and misses.

ack-ack

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:34:48 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
That's why games like WoW are considered to be 'soft turn based' since they allow positioning.  One of the 'tricks' devs use to make it seem more 'real time' is they increase the speed of the combat.  Let's look at the combat of WoW and FFXIV.  Both have soft-turned based combat but WoW seems to be more 'real time' because they've increased the speed of the combat (think it's a half second delay), whereas in FFXIV combat is far slower (3 second delay), giving the game a much more turned based feeling of combat.

ack-ack

Can't not agree.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
Everything in life is essentially a done in a tick.

The time it takes for the consciousness to conjure a thought, have the nerves react, then have our eyes contemplate the results isn't done in real time. :aok

Think I just blew my own mind.

Anyway, back on topic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:42:59 PM by Kazaa »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Everything in life is essentially a done in a tick.

The time it takes for the consciousness to conjure a thought, have the nerves react, then have our eyes contemplate the results isn't done in real time. :aok

Think I just blew my own mind.

I seem to recall reading a paper once that was making the case that every single perception we have is actually a memory.  ...Where's the bong?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
I don't need a bong to contemplate the mysteries of the universe. To be honest, I don't think I could handle it. Gazing on the stars during a clear night is enough to make me exhale and say to myself: "Fcuk" :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:02:01 PM by Kazaa »

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
Muzik chill out.  AKAK actually works games for a living.  What do you do?  Not a diss.  Just reality check.  Argue the facts, not the person.

I'm not excited. I've danced with those two enough to know the outcome of the argument; they lose as the cat comes out of the bag the more they talk. I responded to wiley with his own condescension and ackack stepped in it too.

Oh, and no need to remind us what akak does, he's said it a trillion times. Sounds like someone who's actions aren't as loud as his words.

It's clear from your reply that you don't understand at all what I posted.  I'm not surprised, unlike me, you don't have any experience working in the gaming industry, specifically on MMO games.

ack-ack

It's clear from your reply that you fell flat on your face and cant BS your way out of this one, so you are tucking tail and running.

Actually, yes they are.  In WoW you have a weapon speed, the weapon speed determines how many attacks per round you get....etc, etc.

How fast does all that happen?

And tell me, do you stop your turn and WAIT for the other player to take his turn?

If you stand there and don't take a turn does an enemy stop bashing you?

You don't really need to answer that because the answer is right there in your post...

Think of it like the way Baldur's Gate turned turn based AD&D combat into something that looked like it was real time.....but isn't.

It LOOKS real time. What akak is saying is essentially a lie because he knows that it is "turn based" from a programming standpoint ONLY. From a players standpoint it is "fire at will." As for wiley, he doesn't know any better.

For all intents and purposes it is real time and ackack and wiley are trying to say those few fractions of a second and cosmetic  differences mean that AH has NOTHING in common with those games.

They are retarded, semantic arguments that deflected from the point I made, AH could be more.

Muzik and Ripley, if you can't see the fundamental difference between tick based combat and physics based twitch combat, and feel the need to argue that they're the same, I don't know what to tell you...

That's because you hit the top of your 32 IQ. You need 34 to understand plain English.

I never brought up the insignificant programming differences of the games. The two of you just don't have the capacity to grasp common sense.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
Muzik's winning yet another thread, I see.

(Psssst - more words do not make a convincing case when there really wasn't one to start with.)  :D

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

Bingo!

Every program has "ticks."  Code is read and processed one digit at a time.

Semaaaaaaan--ticks

Muzik's winning yet another thread, I see.

Thanks for finally admitting it.

(Psssst - more words do not make a convincing case when there really wasn't one to start with.)  :D

Or in your case PICS    :ahand

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »

That's "size of the company" not "number of players" ;)

Are you being captian obvious or are you trying to say that HTC wouldn't need to grow if they had huge numbers of customers?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
Are you being captian obvious or are you trying to say that HTC wouldn't need to grow if they had huge numbers of customers?

We once had much more customers and HTC seemed to handle them fine... with still striving for even more growth (remember the stated reason for the arena split in 2006?)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman